View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Dachstein Wool Mittens, Hats and Socks  (Read 4105 times)

Offline Beep

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Dachstein Wool Mittens, Hats and Socks
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:11:14 am »
For those of you who actually remember (or may have read about) Dachstein mittens, hats and socks, I have found an on-line source for the products.  They are the real deal...boiled wool (sometimes called felted wool)...super thick and almost waterproof because of the tight knit resulting from shrinking the items after they are knit.  Very traditional!;)

You can find them HERE.  EDIT:  the link is to Sweaters International (http://www.sweatersintl.com/store/WoolGloves.html)  The prices are quite reasonable, AND...no shipping charge CONUS.  They're quick, too!  I put in an order on Monday evening and got delivery on Wednesday!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 01:24:16 pm by Beep »
Most people are pantywaists. Exercise is good for you. - Grandma Gatewood

Offline Soledad

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Dachstein Wool Mittens, Hats and Socks
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 11:50:54 am »
Thanks for the info- I have been looking for a new hat :)
I think you forgot a : in your link-right after the http

Offline Grey Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 01:11:21 pm »
For some reason I am sure that I will not be able to find my gloves and mittens from last year.  They seem to have disappeared......

So tempting.

Offline crustysnow

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 07:06:26 pm »
Howdy,

So Beep, can you do an evaluation/review of the Dachstein mittens?  I'm interested in a pair and found out that that website is actually my next door neighbor - went over there and tried on a couple pair, he didn't have my size, but I kinda felt that they were not all that thick, but the weave was tight, but I guess I just expected something thicker based on people saying how good they are.  What's the scoop??

Anyone else that has experience with Dachstein mittens please feel free to chime in as well.

Crusty

Offline watatic

• Warming Up
  • New winter camper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 07:36:32 pm »
I had a pair ten years ago that I used with some EMS shells. They seemed very warm. I have Reynaud's phenomemon (cold hands and feet a lot of the time), and they were a bit tight, so as soon as my circulation slowed, that was it-- cold hands. I eventually bought new, looser mitts and gave the Dachsteins to my skiing son, who still has them and loves them. They weren't as think as I thought they would be either, but still are thicker than most wool products. Never tried the hats, so can't say.
"It is a pleasure to the real lover of Nature to give winter all the glory he can, for summer will make its own way, and speak its own praises." Dorothy Wordsworth, 1802

Offline hikerduane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 08:57:56 pm »
The ones I have are at least 10 years old, no cuff though which is in the way, but I guess could be rolled down if needed.  The link states the gloves come from the area where mine came from, AND you can get your money back if not satisfied.  Good deal.  The price is close to what I paid years ago also from Campmor or somewhere.   I've used mine with shell mitts shoveling snow and snowmobiling.

Offline oldboyscout

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Earl & Sedor Photographic
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 03:11:23 pm »
my Dachstein mitts are long gone, but I still have a bunch of the socks.  closest thing to duffel you can get now.
We used to use the mitts for winter climbing when with no overmitts-that's why they are boiled.

Offline James Huffaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 09:10:19 pm »
Gents, I've found them, as well as the sweaters and hat, sorry, no socks.

Bradley Alpinist LLC.
1(970) 626-6072
www.bradleyalpinist.com

Regards, Jim

ETA;  the gloves come in sizes. Very warm, wind proof, warm when wet and durable. If the sweater is anything like the gloves, I gotta get one. Seems it might be the ultimate weapon for cold and damp. They advertise it as outerwear. :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:18:42 pm by James Huffaker »