View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: EPOKE TELEMARK 210's  (Read 1520 times)

Offline canoecountry

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
EPOKE TELEMARK 210's
« on: January 10, 2011, 04:31:03 pm »
I have little Backcountry/XC-ski experience and thought I would turn to the experts here for some advice. Would a pair of 210 or 215 EPOKE TELEMARK skis work well with Berwin bindings for wintertrekking? Would I need to use climbing skins? Would I need to learn to wax?

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

CC

Offline yardsale

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: EPOKE TELEMARK 210's
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 09:15:57 pm »
They are really skinny with little flotation. Suggest shorter, wider ski. I prefer no wax for Eastern variable conditions. Others prefer wax.

Offline lare

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: EPOKE TELEMARK 210's
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 10:43:08 pm »
I have three or four pair of Epoke's (900's,1000's, and 1,100's).  These are without a doubt, just abour the "toughest skis" I have ever seen (these models are always yellow and black).  I think they used to advertise them by almost tying a know in one of them.  The Telemark is a different ski - not quite so strong.  The Epoke 1100 is probably about the size of the Telemark.  Almost all of the Epoke's I have seen require wax - they are good skis.  I have seen them in no-wax:  they made some with "mica" bottoms that were no-wax and they even made some with mohair inserts.  Very few made with fishcales.  These are good, fast skis, but generally the are skinny;  the 1100's are probably around 59-61 mm, and they are the widest I have seen.  One other thing - a lot of the Epokes had a really strong, pronounced camber - you really had to get on them to push them down to the snow.  You might get a good pair of skis, but I would have someone who knows what they are doing check them out before I bought.  The last post was right, get a wider pair of No-wax skis.  If you are new to this business, try out some cheap, used skis first if you have to buy.  Otherwise, rent some before you buy.  Lare