View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Releasable 3 pin bindings for leather telemark boots  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Bob K

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Releasable 3 pin bindings for leather telemark boots
« on: February 22, 2011, 06:55:33 pm »
Unfortunately I am asking this question too late to save my ankle but there is next year.

After years of inactivity I was inspired by a recent blizzard to get back into some trail busting in the woods in back of my house.

Partially motivated by the great stories on this forum I cobbled together an inexpensive back country setup from those surplus back country skis, used but excellent shape 3 pin leather boots and old  but sturdy black diamond 3 pin bindings. After about a few hours of really fun skiing I over estimated my skills and went down a hill too steep for my meager skills, dug in and crunched my ankle.  If only I had had releasable bindings or had even known more about them!

My question is of course what releasable binding would work best for my set up. I have looked at the VoileCRB3pin cable bindings. I think they would do the job. Any feedback would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:25:05 pm by Bob K »

Offline Tomd

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Law Office of Thomas L. Difloure
Re: Releasable 3 bindings for leather telemark boots
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 07:44:16 pm »
There aren't many choices for releaseables.  I had this setup-Voile 3 pin cable bindings on the Voile release kit. This is not the same as the CRB which is sold as a unit. The whole setup costs about $165 US retail ($85+$80 for the release kit).

You've probably looked here already, but here's their site-

www.voile-usa.com
http://www.voile-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=VEOS&Category_Code=VTB

I only had one of mine release once when I fell backwards going uphill, but I only used them a few times, so that isn't a good marker of how they will work, but it did work.

I bought a used pair of hardwire CRBs online, but after looking at them in person, decided to get the cable bindings and kit instead. CRBs are more of a telemark binding, than a bc binding. With mine, I never even used the cables, just the toe pieces. If I was doing some downhilling, I would have added the cables, but never got around to doing that.  One thing about the CRBs is that if you always have the wires on, you can use the CRB without the 3 pin which is much easier to get in and out of, but I have a feeling they won't be as easy to ski on for travelling on the flats or rolling hills. Just an assumption.

There are some releaseable tele bindings, but they are heavy and expensive and the boots are too.

You may want to ask on www.telemarktips.com. That's where I got some good info before buying my setup. One thread there has a whole dsicussion on bindings and a couple of people said don't use CRBs with leather boots.

http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=74467&highlight=releaseable
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:11:23 pm by Tomd »

Offline redneckdan

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 10:26:48 am »
I would say the best bet is a voile release plate under your current 3 pin binding.  I personally would go this route.  My first tele bindings were a pair of the cable crbs.  They really didn't do anything well, too heavy and too much resistance for low angle touring....not stiff enough for really shredding the ski hills.

Offline PackRat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 11:13:57 am »
Releasable bindings for 75mm 3 pin boots your options are limited to the Voile or 7TM. There used to be a company making a small release plate that could mount under your 3 pin binding, I think they were called Telerby, but could not find them.

If you look around you might find some of the Voile CRB that are 3 pin & cable rather than just a cable. The 3 pin option will tour a little better as you can release the heal.

The problem you may encounter with any releasable binding is that your leather boots may have too much flex and the will bend in the binding without releasing.

Offline K.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 03:13:33 pm »
I used the Voile CRB with plastic boots for several years, only for lift areas though. They were a bit of a compromise being fairly heavy and as I recall, at the time they specifically warned that they did not offer a guaranteed release like the DIN torque calibration that downhill bindings have (maybe that has changed more recently?). I've since switched to leather boots and regular 3pin cable binding, trading the risk of injury for the light weight. Part of the value of release bindings is for avalanche safety, which it sounds like you don't need. Hope the ankle heals up soon!

Offline redneckdan

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 03:18:11 am »
Telebry still exists.  Telebry.com   I run a pair of their double acting brake plates under a pair of hammer head bindings on my work skis.  They work fairly well.  Not sure of the weight break down between the voile system and the telebrys. 

Offline Bob K

• View Profile
Re: Releasable 3 pin bindings for leather telemark boots
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 12:49:43 pm »
In case anyone is still interested in this.  I did purchase the Telebry system. They are still there at Telebry.com

I set them to the lightest setting to protect my aging bones against a gentle fall. A small backward fall released them with no problem.  So for my particular situation they worked well.

Offline Tomd

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Law Office of Thomas L. Difloure
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 02:02:34 am »
Hi Bob, I was going back through my old posts and saw yours. I think Telebry is a pretty small operation so good to hear they are still around. I sold my skis at the end of last season, so might look into getting a new pair one of these days.

Offline redneckdan

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 10:10:07 am »
Hi all,

Just figured I'd update some information. I am still using my Telebrys and have 3 seasons of hard ski patrolling use on them. I have sent mine back every summer for a rebuild but keep in mind these see about 1000 hours of agressive down hill skiing every season. They work very well and have protected my knees on many ocassions. My only real beef with them is that in deep, soft snow while skiing a low aggressive tele stance they will tend to pre-release, though that is not really an issue for winter trekking uses. I highly recommend the telebry for any one looking for a 6 way releaseable binding.