View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Fabric Sources  (Read 14335 times)

Offline BackFortyBushcraft

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
    • My winter-living blog
Re: Fabric Sources
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 11:42:38 PM »
I know this thread has been dormant for some time, but it seems like it's worth resurrecting to try and keep a reasonably current fabric directory going. I'm back into my autumn habit of pretending I'm going to sew an anorak and tent this year, and have been looking around on the internet once again, this time with a bit more luck, as far as I can tell.

Canadian folks might want to check out JT's Outdoor Fabrics. They carry an untreated 7oz canvas (https://www.jtsoutdoorfabrics.com/7oz-Cotton-Duck-Canvas-Untreated--Natural-72_p_15043.html), as well as all sorts of hardware, fasteners, etc. geared towards marine and outdoor upholstery. I wish I had known about it before my last Sailrite order, where I had to sell the shirt off my back to cover duty and shipping...

A friend of mine recently made an anorak out of 'Commander' fabric, which is a made-in-Canada cotton/polyester blend advertised as being windproof & downproof (25% cotton, 75% polyester). It is 6oz/yard, and she says that it's the fabric of choice for anoraks up north. There is a Canadian distributor in Quebec called Brador Fabrics which carries every colour under the rainbow. Here is a link to their page: https://www.bradorhiverfabrics.com/collections/commander. They don't list prices on their website.

Another Canadian company, Peak Fabrics, carries Commander at $16/yard Canadian (60" width) — http://www.peakfabrics.com/fabric/shell-fabrics/commander — as well as a variety of other garment fabrics, such as fleeces, soft-shell, primaloft, etc.
"For my panacea… let me have a draught of undiluted morning air. Morning air! If men will not drink of this at the fountain-head of the day, why, then, we must bottle up some and sell it in the shops, for the benefit of those who have lost their subscription ticket to morning time in this world. But remember, it will not keep quite till noon-day even in the coolest cellar, but drive out the stopples long ere that and follow westward the steps of Aurora." -Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 01:18:56 PM »
I've used JT's quite a bit and am often able to take advantage of their bulk discounts. If anyone is looking for fabric I am happy to sell small amounts of fabric, webbing and buckles at cost. I'm not sure how tight the weave is on that 7oz. I have the white 10oz and that is pretty good. I also have some 5oz very windproof cotton that I can let folk have for anoraks. This is the same stuf used by a major Canadian outfitter for their anoraks. I have also used it for tarps and others have used it for tents.

If you are looking for lightweight synthetics try hogshop.ca , he specializes in hammocks but carries a range of ripstop as well as webbing etc.
www.canoepaddler.me.uk for canoe tripping and winter trekking photos and fireboxes

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 08:45:14 PM »
Bothwell, I might take you on that offer for the 5oz cotton... In the new year, I will have more time and money and I would love to buy like 20 or 30 yards of it.

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 09:05:24 PM »
I'd like a sample of that 5-ounce cotton if possible
Simply to compare it to the stuff available here that we call Japara
Happy to pay letter postage cost on a 100 * 100mm swatch if this is possible

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 09:42:06 PM »
PM me your address. I have some pre washed left from an anorak.
www.canoepaddler.me.uk for canoe tripping and winter trekking photos and fireboxes

Offline Bkrgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 10:29:29 PM »
For nylon based fabrics I use ripstopbytheroll.com plus they have a huge assortment of bits
Great service and they ship USPS to Canada so as not to be dinged by the Courier brokerage charge of the day price tag.
Living warm in North x Northwest BC
IMG-20161030-04037 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 12:53:26 AM »
PM me your address. I have some pre washed left from an anorak.

PM sent

It will be interesting to see what if any differences there are.
None of those Canadian sellers can be bothered shipping or posting Commander fabric O/S so I am going with what I have in my stash, if and when I ever get time to sew

Offline APPaul

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 07:24:10 AM »
Have used Ripstop by the Roll and had good experience.

For Canadians there is also Hofmann Outdoor Gear Supply in Manitoba, they are a resellers of RSBTR fabrics in Canada. I have order from them with great service.

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2017, 02:45:34 AM »
Sample arrived
Different to our local cotton but I could see it being very workable double layer for anoraks and as the inner on a tent

Offline Marko_Mrko

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2017, 07:51:48 AM »
I purchased 10oz Sunforger Army Duck canvas from FabricLand.

They have it on the FabricLand website, but they call it pre-shrunk upholstery fabric. Hahhaha that's crazy, who makes upholstery? Obviously it's a typo and should be Anourak/Winter Tent fabric.
https://fabricville.com/en/solid-preshrunk-cotton-canvas-duck-upholstery-fabric-beige.html

It's definitely Sunforger though, as it's printed on the side:

It's expensive on the website, I bought it on a 3-for-1 deal (they have these all the time in FabricLand - it's worthwhile joining their club), at 60%off it's an excellent deal.

In terms of sewing the canvas, I have an ancient (but unbreakable) 30-year Kenmore sewing machine that goes through 4-5 layers of the stuff quite well. The needles do get blunt though.

Hope that helps,
Marko

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2017, 09:38:24 AM »
I purchased 10oz Sunforger Army Duck canvas from FabricLand.

They have it on the FabricLand website, but they call it pre-shrunk upholstery fabric. Hahhaha that's crazy, who makes upholstery? Obviously it's a typo and should be Anourak/Winter Tent fabric.
https://fabricville.com/en/solid-preshrunk-cotton-canvas-duck-upholstery-fabric-beige.html

It's definitely Sunforger though, as it's printed on the side:

It's expensive on the website, I bought it on a 3-for-1 deal (they have these all the time in FabricLand - it's worthwhile joining their club), at 60%off it's an excellent deal.

In terms of sewing the canvas, I have an ancient (but unbreakable) 30-year Kenmore sewing machine that goes through 4-5 layers of the stuff quite well. The needles do get blunt though.

Hope that helps,
Marko

You sure that it is the same stuff? Your picture is a natural canvas colour the link is a beige and I'd be surprised if they would miss the chance of chraging extra for FR Sunforger and listing it on the site. I also see that yours is a Fire Resistant Sunforger (the CPAI bit) I have reservations about wearing a fabric treated with those chemicals, I don't even like working with it.

I did spot downproof ticking on the site though but I wouldn't pay what they list though.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2017, 11:10:15 AM »
Yes, I really don't like all the chemicals in fabric now a day... Even non treated cotton is full of pesticide and these take a lot of washing to get rid of! I've been trying to get my hands on some "pillow ticking/downproof" organic cotton but everyone I contacted don't seams to know what I'm talking about and are of really little help! Really frustrating!!
The best I've seen is the sample that BV sent me a wile back, I really think it would be the best one can find.... Anyway, no wonder everyone is going towards synthetic fabric, so much easier to source!!

Offline Marko_Mrko

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2017, 12:18:38 PM »

You sure that it is the same stuff? Your picture is a natural canvas colour the link is a beige and I'd be surprised if they would miss the chance of chraging extra for FR Sunforger and listing it on the site. I also see that yours is a Fire Resistant Sunforger (the CPAI bit) I have reservations about wearing a fabric treated with those chemicals, I don't even like working with it.

I did spot downproof ticking on the site though but I wouldn't pay what they list though.

Im not sure whether that's the  exact fabric, but it was listed as plain canvas at the store.  I'll drop by the store today/tomorrow and check it out. I thought it was a steal at $15/m, and it was definitely from Fabric land.

M

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2017, 02:16:19 PM »

Im not sure whether that's the  exact fabric, but it was listed as plain canvas at the store.  I'll drop by the store today/tomorrow and check it out. I thought it was a steal at $15/m, and it was definitely from Fabric land.

M

Yep $15 is a steal. Buy the whole lot if you can and sell it on kijiji.