View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Retiring wool pants  (Read 810 times)

Offline arcticmag

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Retiring wool pants
« on: November 12, 2011, 04:57:24 pm »
What do you do with your wool pants once they’re worn out? I usually try to leave mine in a special spot. It’s kind of weird, but I get pretty attached to my wool pants. In October, 2004 I was staking claims along the Coppermine River, about 500 kilometers north of Yellowknife. This area was at the edge of the tree line where there was abundant dwarf birch and arctic willow that I had to snowshoe through while setting out the claim lines. This brush was constantly tugging at my pants and soon wore so many holes in them that I finally had to make the decision to retire them and break out a new pair.

These old pants had served me well for a few years so I decided to find a worthy spot to leave them. I made a hike a couple of kilometers NW of camp till I came to a line of black spruce facing north towards a narrows in the lake where we had observed several caribou crossing. I hung the pants in one of the 10 foot tall trees which was probably well over 50 years old, took several pictures and headed back to camp. My wife still gives me a hard time about how much I love my wool pants.

~Daryl
Make friends with the wolf, but keep your axe ready.

Offline redneckdan

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: Retiring wool pants
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 06:19:43 pm »
Hell those are just getting broke in!. I woulda patched the knees with some wool blanket material then covered it with some canvas. The couple holes below the knees I would have darned. I have a pair of woolies used for ice climbing that are worse then those.

I understand though. Good outdoor cloths shouldn't just be tossed aside when they retire. My first pair of whites died this fall and I left them in a tree over looking a trout stream where we busted many grouse together  *sniff*  :'(

Offline arcticmag

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 07:22:32 pm »
I'm glad someone else knows the feeling!   ;)

Yeah, I could have done some patching to keep them going but they were so thin that they wouldn't keep any wind out anymore. They would have still been OK for warmer weather but I always have limited room in my pack for extra gear when traveling from camp to camp and this seemed like a fitting place for "retirement".
Make friends with the wolf, but keep your axe ready.

Offline sethwotten

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Water for Future Generations Expedition
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 10:32:54 pm »
I would have saved them, bought an identical new pair, then sewn cargo pockets into the new pair using the old pair. That way, I'd be incorporating the old into the new. But if I were to leave them somewhere, that looks like a good spot. To each their own.  ;)