View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: U.S. Army Surplus 5 Man Arctic Tent  (Read 5407 times)

Offline kevtmiller

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
    • Kevin T Miller
U.S. Army Surplus 5 Man Arctic Tent
« on: December 23, 2011, 12:56:19 pm »
I've read quite a few posts on the forum and thought it was time to contribute.  Last winter I purchased a U.S. Army Surplus 5 Man Arctic Tent and a Yukon stove to go with it from the States and had them shipped to relatives in Michigan.  I imported them myself to save on brokerage and taxes.

The tent was purchased from California Army Navy Surplus http://www.calarmy.com/tents/ for $325USD shipped.  The centre pole is telescoping "magnesium", tent side walls are 2' high, floor is 13' wide and forms a hexagon. Made of canvas that was treated with waterproofing and fire repellent (although I doubt this is still effective.) Also has a separate liner that attaches inside with lines to hang wet clothing to dry. Silicone ring for a stove jack.  Weight of pole is 6.6lbs, liner is 15.6lbs, tent is 34lbs and all the aluminum pegs are 3.1lbs. 

The Yukon stove was purchased from AA Surplus Sales http://www.aasurplus.com/Products/97-stove-yukon.aspx for $142USD shipped.  It measures 10" wide by 8" tall and 24" deep, nesting stove pipe with guy wires and lines to attach to the tent. It can come with a burner assembly to burn gas and diesel but I didn't want to go down that road.

More pictures here http://kevtmiller.blogspot.com/2011/12/winter-camping.html.

Offline acurrier

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: U.S. Army Surplus 5 Man Arctic Tent
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 04:13:20 pm »
Looks like a heavy duty stove. Do you know what it weighs?

Offline kevtmiller

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
    • Kevin T Miller
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 02:23:46 pm »
Looks like a heavy duty stove. Do you know what it weighs?

The stove and pipe weigh in at 27lbs.

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 04:53:02 pm »
I picked one up last winter in Oshawa ON. I had it up in my backyard for a couple of months anyway. I used to have to go and get the snow off it and dig out the sides. It is pretty bombproof but heavy. I weighed the tent and liner at 55 pounds.
I cut 4 cedar poles that I wish to set up teepee style and hang the tent from the peak so the poles are outside the tent. I made up a metal hanging loop that screws into the hole the magnesium pole fits into.  That will give more unobstructed room inside. I have a     10" x10" x22" stove that heats it. The tent is a real cave when it comes to being dark so a light source is alwas needed. I had my army cot set up in it for sleeping.
  My boss use these when in armour in the CF. He said every excersise he was on one burned down. The troops would refill and start the Coleman lantern inside the tent instead of outside as required. The troops would be tired and outside its cold and windy and the tent warm so they ignored the rule. The lamps would flare up when starting and set the tent on fire. He said they go up real fast and the fabric treatment drips down setting sleeping bags etc on fire thus spreading it. You have no chance to save anything so get out immediately if it catches fire.
   The tent is loads of room for one person. I hoping to find one or more folks to go on a one or two night trip with me, perhaps to a Provincial Park. i'm still learning this winter camping thing.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:11:46 pm by theDuck »