View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Finnish sleds  (Read 4694 times)

Offline saddler

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
    • Moore Leather
Re: Finnish sleds
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 01:15:00 pm »
Here is a drawing of an ahkio developed by the Finnish Army during the 1920s. All measurements are in millimeters. Send me a PM if you require the drawing in larger resolution. The second and third drawings are from the English version of the Wehrmacht winter warfare manual.

Only seeing one of the three images.

The design I want to find looks like:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:22:17 pm by saddler »

Offline Dave Hadfield

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 06:50:12 pm »
I use a similar system for lashing down the tarp on top of the gear. But augmented by making hooks along one side, not loops, so that the lashing can be completely disengaged when you're trying to get something from the middle of the load. Still, very cool to see a similarity.

I'm not sure the shape is that great. Ever try to pull a canoe across the snow? Pretty laborious.

That design sketch would work well if the snow was hard and the sled was supported on the center plank. But not so well in deep soft snow.

The Inuit obviously took an alternative design path. So did the Cree.

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 04:45:12 pm »
The design I want to find looks like:
I'm not sure the shape is that great. Ever try to pull a canoe across the snow? Pretty laborious.

As I wrote previously, that Finnish design was mean to be pulled by several men on skis. It was meant to accommodate a battle-ready machine gun or a few crates full of ammunition, this is one of the main reason why it's so wide.

Offline southcove

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 05:28:27 pm »
Very interesting... New Rule of the trail.   If you see a bunch of white smocked serious looking guys hauling a sled w just maybe a water cooled machine gun on it...give way, let them pass! 

Mangrove, thank you for adding more information, clarity and pics to this thread.

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 11:57:24 am »
Here's a link to "JR 27" ahkio designed by a Finn in the 1990s. If made out of wood and plywood, it weights around 5-6 kg.

"JR 27" Ahkio

Offline brucekissinger

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 03:53:22 pm »
I found a short description of Finnish tactics during World War 2 that is fascinating.  It mentions the use of pulk sleds

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt08/finnish-tactics.html

The bravery and audacity is amazing

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 04:37:11 am »