View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Film about Finnish Paratrooper Arctic Survival Training  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Film about Finnish Paratrooper Arctic Survival Training
« on: December 20, 2012, 08:54:17 AM »
Here's a link to 30 min film about 5 day Finnish paratrooper survival camp shot in Finnish Lapland during years 1990 and 1991. There's no subtitles but little Finnish is spoken during the whole film.

"Kylmät hypyt" [Cold jumps]

Offline cousin Pete

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Film about Finnish Paratrooper Arctic Survival Training
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:21:29 PM »
Hello Mangrove:  Thanks for posting the video.  My dad and I just finished watching it.  He is Finnish.  We both enjoyed the video.  He understood what they were saying. 

Take care,
Cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline customknife

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Warm and dry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:49:17 PM »
Those paratroopers dropped hard.  My knees hurt just watching this portion of the video!

Offline customknife

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Warm and dry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 10:09:17 PM »
On being Finnish.  There is an electronic map at Ellis Island where you can choose any country of origin and that map will tell you where  folks located in the United States upon their immigration to the USA by density.  Most nationalities show up in California just because of its size.  I laughed when we were playing with this map as I knew one group that would not show up in California; the Finns.  Sure enough, we hit Finland and Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Michigan UP lit up!  For those outside of the USA, Ellis Island was the major entry point for immigration into the USA during the first part of the twentieth century.  One of my grandfathers came through Ellis Island from Italy in 1920 and I have a copy of his passenger record framed on my home office wall.  When I travel to these states I often detect  a Finish accent with the locals.  Cheers.

Offline cousin Pete

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 10:47:47 PM »
Hello customknife:  Thanks for that tid bit of info.  In Canada there are alot of Finnish people in North Bay and Thunder Bay.  Perhaps Sudbury might have a good Finnish population as well.  Thunder Bay is just north Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Take care,
Cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline customknife

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Warm and dry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 11:24:38 PM »
Cousin Pete:  That makes sense.  Years ago, the Finnish accent was much easier to detect in these states.  But it is slowing being homogenized into a Midwestern twang.  By the way, should have mentioned (for those outside of the USA) that Ellis Island is in the Upper New York Bay, New York City, right next to the island holding the Statue Of Liberty. 

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 12:25:23 PM »
Finns generally like places similar to those in Finland. Imagine that in case of Finland would be have been overrun by the Soviets in Winter War, evacuees from Finland to the United States would be been placed in Alaska! However, when you look at the weather statistics, you will probably notice that British Columbia and Southern Alaska are very similar to Southern and Central Finland.

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 05:51:11 PM »
Some additional Finnish Defence Forces' arctic training short films:

Layered clothing - "West" in December 2010 (with English subtitles)
Camping in the Arctic - 2014 (no English subtitles)

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 05:12:29 PM »