View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: David Ellis Canvas Products 10 x 10 Pyramid Tent  (Read 5545 times)

Offline customknife

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Warm and dry
    • View Profile
Re: David Ellis Canvas Products 10 x 10 Pyramid Tent
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 01:39:34 am »
Wintertrekking commentators are an ingenious lot.

Offline jimmay

• Hauling Sled
  • Jim
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 10:37:50 am »
Looks fantastic.  I checked the David Ellis website, and don't see a pyramid line that looks exactly like yours.  In fact, I find the site a bit hard to navigate in general.  What model is yours based on?  Can I ask the price you paid and lead time for construction?

You will not find this tent on his site.  It is a custom made tent based on the design of the Northwest Woodsman 8 x 8 Pyramid Tent that David Ellis makes for him. I asked David to make me the 10 x 10 version, and as far as I know it is the only one. I had him add a stove jack and threshold. Cost for the tent was $473 plus $56 for the stove jack, $20 for the threshold, $120 for shipping by USPS (he normally ships by UPS) and $90 for HST. I had it in just over two weeks. I made the support poles from 1.25" fence top rail for a cost of about $100 total. Depending upon your location you may not need the support poles as you can cut poles from the bush.  These poles should be about 12ft.

Northwest Woodsman Pyramid Tent
http://nwwoodsman.com/Product/Shelter/PyramidTent.html

Well, last night was a partial success.  We were not able to sleep over in the yard as a have I a sick child, but we still managed to spend half the night in the tent. We grabbed some lawn chairs and a bushel basket of split white birch, hung a gas lantern, lit the fire and drank half of a 26er of the Captain. The outside temperature dropped to -12C yet I was able to keep the tent a comfortable 12C to 15C at mid-calf height. At head height it was an easy 25C.

Some thoughts on the tent.  It really does need a couple of loops sewn in up near the peak to tie a line to dry clothes.  The sod cloth is made from the same vinyl as tarps used for covering loads on tractor trailers, sot it should be durable, but it was sown facing the inside and thus is more difficult to flip out and cover with snow.  In addition it is a continuous piece from corner to corner and will interfere with the center stake points (they are needed). I will likely slit the sod flap to fix this problem.

My stove worked very well, but it had a couple of issues.  First the stove was not getting enough air through the door so I ground off part of the inner baffle with a dramatic improvement.  Second the wood at the back of the stove needs to be raked forward to burn.  The wood at the rear of the stove under the smoke baffle is turning to charcoal and must be raked to the front for complete combustion, indicating lack of oxygen.  I am considering drilling a couple of holes in the rear of the stove to feed the back, or adding a small steel pipe from the front to the back to feed air.  Besides that, with a couple of rakes the stove wood burns for about an hour on one load and keep the tent very comfortable.  However if the temperature drops to -30C or below then it will be too small.  Next years model of stove....

Jim
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 01:48:28 pm by jimmay »

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 06:38:54 pm »
She's a beauty Jimmy. Enough room for all of us to be sipping wine inside this year.  Can't wait to see it in action Family day weekend.
I thought of using Conduit for my stove bipod. Figure either two 5 foot sections or three 4 foot sections to make a 12 foot pole. Would the conduit fit in your sleve.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline DMarrone

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Lure of the North
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 07:08:47 pm »
Jim,

Thanks for the detailed response.  I'm really intrigued by the design of this tent.  We've been using a centre-pole, octagonal tent this year and I certainly like the idea of moving the supports to the outside of the tent.  I would have assumed an external tripod would have been necessary - what keeps the bipod from falling over?  Also, with fixed pole lengths, do you have a plan for pitching in deep snow?  Will you bring floats for the poles?  Hope to hear more reports of the tent in action!
Lure of the North
http://lureofthenorth.com

Offline jimmay

• Hauling Sled
  • Jim
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 08:55:48 pm »
Jim,

Thanks for the detailed response.  I'm really intrigued by the design of this tent.  We've been using a centre-pole, octagonal tent this year and I certainly like the idea of moving the supports to the outside of the tent.  I would have assumed an external tripod would have been necessary - what keeps the bipod from falling over?  Also, with fixed pole lengths, do you have a plan for pitching in deep snow?  Will you bring floats for the poles?  Hope to hear more reports of the tent in action!

Surprisingly the shape of the tent keeps the bipod very tight and very resistant to falling over. The ridge line for each side/corner is at an angle to the peak and acts as a support guy line to keep the bipod upright. As for deep snow I had not thought of that as we do not have any here at the moment. I will have to look into making some plywood floats or bring a better shovel to dig down to grade. If necessary it can also be pitched under a tree and then a rope can be used to suspend the tent.

Offline jimmay

• Hauling Sled
  • Jim
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 09:09:23 pm »
She's a beauty Jimmy. Enough room for all of us to be sipping wine inside this year.  Can't wait to see it in action Family day weekend.
I thought of using Conduit for my stove bipod. Figure either two 5 foot sections or three 4 foot sections to make a 12 foot pole. Would the conduit fit in your sleve.

RR

I used fence top rail as one end is swedged to fit into the next piece. This is a good car camping solution and will do for now until I get time to make some hardwood poles or look into aluminum.  I have five 7 foot lengths of 1.25" galvanized pipe left over and I used two for my temporary stove pipe bipod. In the bush I plan to use natures bounty. The problem with using conduit besides weight is that the sleeves to join two pipes need to give a snug fit without galling and have at least 3" of overlap to be sufficiently rigid. I like the swedged tapered fit of the fence rail as it becomes very tight and rigid with some downward pressure with minimal concern for galling.

Offline Snowwalker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Two is one, one is none
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 12:13:56 am »
I have a 10'x10' pyramid tent by Dave ellis and LOVE it.  He made mine up custom also.  Mine has the stove jack, a screened window, the lantern hook and I also had him sew loops throughout the tent for hanging things to dry. 

The tent is built like a tank!  I simply cut my poles when out camping to support the tent.  This tent sheds snow, rain and has never been taken down by a wind and believe me it has been through some severe snow and thunderstorms.

I use a two dog stove, leaving the entrance to the tent open aprox. 6" and keep the wndow which is located above the stove open about 6" also.  Awesome air flow and circulation!  That two dog works great in that tent.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack." -Rudyard Kipling

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.  A bird will fall frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself"  D.H. Lawrence

"What lies before us and what lies behind us are nothing to what lies within of us"  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline jimmay

• Hauling Sled
  • Jim
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 01:04:49 pm »
I have a 10'x10' pyramid tent by Dave ellis and LOVE it.  He made mine up custom also.  Mine has the stove jack, a screened window, the lantern hook and I also had him sew loops throughout the tent for hanging things to dry. 

The tent is built like a tank!  I simply cut my poles when out camping to support the tent.  This tent sheds snow, rain and has never been taken down by a wind and believe me it has been through some severe snow and thunderstorms.

I use a two dog stove, leaving the entrance to the tent open aprox. 6" and keep the wndow which is located above the stove open about 6" also.  Awesome air flow and circulation!  That two dog works great in that tent.

Would you mind posting some pictures? I really should have asked to have the loops sew in, so now I am going to add them myself.  I bought a Speedy Stitcher to try my hand at sowing heavy materials.

Offline Snowwalker

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 06:20:41 pm »
Sure...I will try posting some photo's for you tonight.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack." -Rudyard Kipling

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.  A bird will fall frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself"  D.H. Lawrence

"What lies before us and what lies behind us are nothing to what lies within of us"  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Snowwalker

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 08:22:27 pm »
Here is a picture of the loops in the upper point of the tent.  There are two in the peak, four a little further down where I ran 550 cord through and there are four more...one in each corner of the tent further down. (not shown)

I thought I would put up a few extras also.

Offline Snowwalker

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 08:30:41 pm »
When I'm hot tenting I set it up with wood poles...saves alot of weight.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 09:12:47 pm »
I really like that wood stove set up you have there, look like a two dog stove. I really like the snow floats and the tray... Did you made those??
Cheers

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 10:01:30 pm »
Nice looking tent, and good job on the clothes line - gotta have that!

On the pipe end, is that a little elbow on the end with a pipe cap?
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world.  When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them.  The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them.  That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft."  Ray Mears, 2005.

Offline Snowwalker

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 11:14:38 pm »
Nice looking tent, and good job on the clothes line - gotta have that!

On the pipe end, is that a little elbow on the end with a pipe cap?

Yes it is Hoop, I got the end cap idea from one of your videos.  I had the pipe just running out but because of the angle being a little less then I would like I tried a simple adjustable elbow at the end and it works great.  It gives the smoke plenty of rise seeing I have a window on that side. 

Offline Snowwalker

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 11:21:49 pm »
I really like that wood stove set up you have there, look like a two dog stove. I really like the snow floats and the tray... Did you made those??
Cheers

Thank you...it's a Two Dog with the stock legs removed.  I needed to get the height down for my stove jack so I made up two aluminum angles and notched them into an aluminum cooking tray.  Just a little extra safety precaution and between the tray and the angles the heat is totaly reflected up.  I can place my bare hand on the tray under the stove between the two snow legs and it is BARELY warm.