View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Wool Felt Insoles  (Read 481 times)

Offline einhorn

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Wool Felt Insoles
« on: December 21, 2013, 07:11:28 am »
Hello,
I live in the UK where unfortunately mud/standing water is the norm rather than snow (pretty envious of you guys who live in the snow belt although not sure my wife would agree). Try and do regular walking for many miles where wellingtons are  often the only practical option.  Want to increase the warmth and cushioning of these rubber boots (Nokian Finntrim) and think felt insoles would do the job. Does anyone have opinions of what thickness is best? Many of the proprietary felt insoles like Lundhags seem to be quite thin whilst others sold as Scandinavian felt insoles are listed at varying between 10-20 millimetres thick. I've also been offered some "very dense and thick wool felt at about 12 millimetres thickness (just under 1/2 inch)". I was wondering if this would do the job or if it would be too uncomfortable owing to it being very dense! I really don't know what density or indeed thickness is best for insoles.
The Lundhags insoles I seem to recall have some form of backing material! My own feeling is that a non backed version made just from Felt would be better, any thoughts please?
Also felt insoles or felt by the roll are offered in 100% wool felt or mixtures of wool felt and some synthetic material. Again any thoughts please based on your own practical experiences.
Hoping for some snow here so I can get my cross country skis out and still using my ancient Alico Super Telemark leather ski boots (felt insoles would be good in these)!
Many thanks and have fun in the snow.
Regards,
Frank.

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Wool Felt Insoles
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 12:33:10 pm »
I've tried a wool insole in my feltpack boots. The limiting factor is the space you have in the boot. The wool insole  was about ½" /12mm thick and shoved my foot into the top of the boot. I would have to cut the thickness in half and never got round to it. For the effort you may not gain anything depending on the room you have for your foot.
The wool insoles were made in the area by a person who did wool crafts and I picked them up at an area craft show here in SW Ontario Canada. They were 100% wool with no backing.  If you have craft shows, craft fairs or farmers markets near you, take your boots and see if you find anything to your liking that will fit.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 01:50:37 pm by theDuck »

Offline Teepee

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 12:50:13 pm »
As above-if you have the footroom then they mayhelp. It's all about the fit.

Here's a good supplier in the UK; http://www.woollyshepherd.co.uk/felted-products/felted-wool-bootliners

If you ask, they will make them even thicker.

Personally, I would have no room for them in my footwear. To add insulation, I find a thinner IR reflective insole to be best for me. The original insole shape, traced onto radiator reflector foam and then used under the inner booties works for me.

Offline Moondog55

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 03:12:47 pm »
Have you tried looking for "Dairy Boots" ?
Dairy workers need to move quickly and the dairy boot is a much better fit than your normal wellie

Get a pair of those with mesh insoles to allow some airflow under the foot and use really good socks, actually 2 pair of socks is better; a thin liner pair [ I have recently swapped to Injinji toe sox] and a wool heavy outer sock. Australia has similar winter weather to Scotland where I hang out in winter and this is my around the village boot of choice. You will probably need to buy a size bigger tho when using both a mesh insole and 2 pair of socks