View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Completed 10 foot UHMW-PE toboggan  (Read 7007 times)

Offline cousin Pete

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Completed 10 foot UHMW-PE toboggan
« on: March 08, 2009, 07:06:27 pm »
My dad and I built a 10 UHMW-PE 10 foot toboggan this week.  The toboggan will replace the pulk that I used this year.  I purchased the plastic at from the Kitchener location of Warehoused Plastic Sales Inc:  http://www.theplasticstore.com/

The piece that I wanted(120" by 15.8") was supposed to be in stock when I arrived.  Since it was not in stock they reduced the price by $15.00.  They had the piece cut within about 15 minutes.  With taxes I paid just over $102.00 for it.  My dad had some really good hard wood lying around the house.  We just had to cut the cross pieces to the proper size.  All that I needed to purchase was some stainless steel bolts, some stainless steel screws, some rope and a tumpline from Black River Sleds.  The tumpline was only $10.00 including shipping and handling(U.S. funds). 

I would like to give a very special thanks to jaunty, Canoedog and Scott for their input.  I would also like to thank HOOP for the great info. provided in the toboggan

I can't wait to haul my gear on it next year!!!  By then I'll hopefully have decent boot system as well. 

Take care,
Cousin Pete
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 11:16:47 pm by cousin Pete »
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Completed 10 foot UHMW-PE toboggan
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 08:54:59 pm »
Nice job!
Colder is better

Offline Tomd

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Law Office of Thomas L. Difloure
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 08:56:18 pm »
Nice work Pete. Thanks for the photos.  

BTW, I also use Photobucket. If you want the pics to show up in your post, copy and paste the image link under each photo at Photobucket. It's the last link under each picture - IMG code - That's how I posted mine. The tags on the links are slightly different if you compare the IMG links with the direct links, which is what I think yours are.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 09:06:26 pm by Tomd »

Offline ontariobackpacker

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 09:14:36 pm »
good job
SBouchard

Offline Scott

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 10:35:46 pm »
Nice work Pete!

Offline cousin Pete

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 10:53:19 pm »
Tomd:  Thanks you very much for the advise on the IMG code.  It would be preferable to paste an actual picture than a direct link.

Take care,
Peter Myyry
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline lost_patrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 02:51:13 am »
Nice work.  Will we see you at Deep Freeze next year?  Your UHMW toboggan will have lots of company.
"Give me winter, give me dogs.  You can keep the rest."  - Knud Rasmussen
"Ride like you stole something." - Lance Armstrong

Offline ontariobackpacker

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 03:12:50 am »
Mr. Pete,

Whats the weight of your toboggan
SBouchard

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 07:21:56 am »
Looking great cousin Pete!

IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi

Offline cousin Pete

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 09:28:15 am »
Hello lost_patrol:  I would like to attend the Deepfreeze next year.  It would be a great chance to meet other winter trekkers and to increase my knowledge of winter trekking. 

Hello ontariobackpacker:  I do not own a scale.  As such, I am not sure how much it weighs.  It doesn't feel too heavy at all for a 10 foot toboggan. 

Take care guys,
Peter Myyry

Offline jaunty

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 12:16:29 pm »

Nice, job, Peter! 

I hope you don't really have to wait until next year to use it. 

Offline lost_patrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 02:43:20 pm »
Mr. Pete,

Whats the weight of your toboggan

For what it's worth, my twelve footer (sixteen inches wide at the shoulders, 1/4" thick) weighs 21 pounds.  A ten footer would be proportionately less, probably between 17 and 18 pounds depending on the number and size of the crossbars, and to a minimal extent on incidental items such as fasteners and rigging.
"Give me winter, give me dogs.  You can keep the rest."  - Knud Rasmussen
"Ride like you stole something." - Lance Armstrong

Offline Ted

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 04:15:01 pm »
For my 10 footer I used 1/8 uhmwpe and hockey sticks for crossbars.
8 pounds.

Have fun,
 Ted
http://www.parkerclan.ca
To the Silent Places

Offline Oldand Fat

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 05:14:29 pm »
i checked out the Plastics Stores real time inventory of cut offs. The have a lot of UHMW sheets is the UHMW-PE the same stuff? Some 10 feet long. It would be nice to get a bargain.
Stay safe
OAF
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 05:58:47 pm »
uhmw in my thinking is the polyethelene you want just somebody not putting the -pe at the end.

I would also check OAF that its not hdpe which is the one which doesn't flex by just using your hand.
IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi