View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Wisco Winter Weekend Feb 23-25, 2017  (Read 910 times)

Offline joestrom

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Wisco Winter Weekend Feb 23-25, 2017
« on: October 31, 2016, 02:17:16 pm »
The Winter Camping Rendezvous moving to Ely will prevent me from attending, so I've cooked up an alternative for me and my family, and anyone else wanting to attend. In the spirit of the Rendezvous, and my general laziness around planning stuff, there will be no speakers, no schedule, and no agenda other than to hang out and do what you want to do. There's some primo groomed xc trails (Smrekar trail system) a mile or two up the road, there's hiking/snowshoeing trails within the campground, and its on a lake for those who like to ice fish. Or hang out and sip bourbon.

I'm not terribly imaginitive, so its being called the Wisco Winter Weekend for now. I've created a Facebook event for those of you on there, it's a public event so respond if interested:
https://www.facebook.com/events/697602333723972/

Dates: Thursday Feb 23- Sun Feb 25
Where: Pigeon Creek Campground in the Black River State Forest. Just south of Black River Falls, WI.
Camp Details: 38 sites in camp, road and 5 sites are kept plowed. WI State Park daily or annual sticker required. WI residents pay $16 per night for campsite, non-residents pay $21. Self-registration at campground. Vault toilet available, bring your own water. All sites are 1st come, 1st served.
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/StateForests/blackRiver/

Hoping to see some of the folks I met at last year's Rendezvous and this year's Symposium. Everybody's welcome.

Best,
Joe

Offline brucekissinger

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Wisco Winter Weekend Feb 23-25, 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 08:28:00 pm »
Sounds great.  I will be there

Offline lonelake

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 08:19:57 am »
Sounds good! Cannot have to many Winter Gatherings......
We will post this on the Winter Camping Symposium site also!

LL
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com

Offline joestrom

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 10:02:55 am »
This is still a go...and only a few weeks away.
Peace,
Joe

Offline brucekissinger

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 07:38:24 pm »
Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to go this year, but I drove through the campground today and it was very pretty and peaceful with nobody there.  I saw several inquisitive deer and a pheasant.  There were three campsites that were plowed out and the rest had 2 to 4 inches of snow.  The snow is crusty but melting fast - it was 56 degrees (F). 

Offline joestrom

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 10:37:16 am »
Bruce, thanks for the report. You didn't by chance cut, split and stack a bunch of firewood for us? I kid, I kid....