View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Treating leather axe sheaths?  (Read 838 times)

Offline Caribou

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Treating leather axe sheaths?
« on: March 11, 2017, 04:24:07 pm »
Hi Folks,

I noticed the sheath for my Gransfors Bruks Forest axe is getting dry and stiff. Any suggestions from you axe experts on a good leather treatment for the sheath (Sno Seal?)? I'd also like to get the treatment inside the sheath itself.

Thanks in advance,

Caribou

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Re: Treating leather axe sheaths?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 05:46:19 pm »
I have been putting Pawmagik dog paw wax on mine. The dog didn't seem to need it and it seems to work well on leather. It is a mix of coconut oil, beeswax and castor oil so something along those lines would be good. If you warmed a mix of castor oil and beeswax you could pour it into the sheath.
www.canoepaddler.me.uk for canoe tripping and winter trekking photos and fireboxes

Offline Caribou

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 11:03:52 am »
Thanks BV. An interesting suggestion, am not familiar with Pawmagik mix and I'm not sure they would sell it here in Pembroke, ON but I'll have a look in our local pet supply stores.

Offline h_t

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 01:07:53 pm »
there's lot of options...

I treat the knife sheaths I make with 50/50 mixture by weight of bee's wax and neatsfoot oil.
Applied warm to warm leather it creates durable wp finish and the leather hardens.
There are articles and videos on how to do it....

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 08:12:04 am »
Yes there are lots of options.

I was just using the dog paw wax as I had it to hand. We had cut the fur between our dogs toes to reduce snow from balling up and the groomer suggested wax to protect her paws while she became acclimatized. Used it a couple of times and then never bothered to apply it again.

A good place to try is a saddlery store.
www.canoepaddler.me.uk for canoe tripping and winter trekking photos and fireboxes

Offline Coldfingers

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 02:46:43 pm »
I use either some leather conditioner I got at the shoe repair shop or some mink oil.

Offline rbinhood

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 09:54:20 am »
There are two primary types of leather tanning---oil tanned and vegetable tanned. Which type was used to tan the leather you are working with makes a difference in how you treat the leather. Use oils like mink oil on oil tanned leather and waxes like Snowseal on vegetable tanned leathers. Generally, oil tanned leathers are softer and more supple. Vegetable tanned leathers tend to be stiffer, so using oil on them will tend to make them soft, which depending on their use, may not be a good thing.

If I am using Snow seal, I will heat the container in a water bath so that it melts, then brush it on. I find that it penetrates much better that way. Sometimes I will rub it on with a rag and then put the leather in the microwave for short bursts until it melts in. If using the microwave method, you must make sure there are no metal rivets on the sheath, or metal eyelets or shanks on a boot. Heat destroys leather, so another thing to be careful of is to not let it get too warm.

Offline snow-walker67

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 11:53:14 am »
I use Mink Oil that I get a Tandy Leathercraft.
Works great on all the sheaths I have made for knives and axes and saws.
I found that it treats and protects well without making the leather too soft to lose its shape or structure.

Offline Caribou

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 08:07:56 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions folks, some great options here.