View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Storing a stove question  (Read 583 times)

Offline snow-walker67

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Storing a stove question
« on: March 17, 2017, 12:45:01 pm »
Hi Everyone

Sadly, with the end of the season, I'm in the process of cleaning and putting away all my gear.  This year I purchased a new Kni-Co stove.  What oil is recommended for coating the stove to prevent rusting during the off-season?  On my previous smaller stove I just used WD-40....
Looking for advice/experience from this knowledgeable group.  Thanks in advance.

Offline cousin Pete

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Storing a stove question
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 12:58:51 pm »
Hello snow-walker67:  I use compliments non stick cooking spray.  I have been using it since I started hot tenting.  Any sort of cooking spray oil will do the job.  I spray it on and rub it in with a cleaning rag.  Which Kni-co stove did you purchase?

Take care,
Cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 06:33:27 pm »
I'll second cousin pete's suggestion of cheap non stick spray veggie oil. Get all the ash out of the stove including taking out any false bottom. Clean out the chimney too.  Before the next camping season, start a good hot fire in the stove and burn off the oil. Do it on your  driveway or back yard. If you do it in the tent camping you will smoke yourself out.
Or, I haven't sprayed my stove with anything before putting it away in the past. That was laziness.

Offline Dave Hadfield

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 02:53:19 pm »
I think the veg-oil idea is a good one, but then as was said you will have a smoky first-fire next time.

As long as you put the stove away dry, and then store it in a bone-dry place (an attic is good), it won't rust much. That's all I do.

Don't store it in a basement or a building where there are livestock.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 06:47:05 pm »
When using a sheet metal stove, non Ti, I paint them black with the high temp paint for stove, and it take a lot for to rust, and like Dave said, store it dry and in a dry place and it shouldn't be an issue!

Offline into the wind

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 12:25:49 pm »
If you have an adjustable elbow give that a shot of oil also. It will save some work next season.

Offline snow-walker67

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 12:23:50 pm »
Thanks for the input everyone.  I appreciate it.
Cousin Pete, I decided on the Kni-Co Snowtrekker model in the large size.  I really liked my existing home-made stove that I hade purchased a few years ago, just found it was a bit small for the tent size I have, particularly on the very cold nights. I really like the damper and the side shelf.

Offline cousin Pete

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 12:47:26 pm »
Hello snow-walker67:  I am glad that the large Kni-co snowtrekker model is working out for you.  As mentioned earlier I oil my  stove with the spray veggie oil.  When I do the first burn of the season, I do it on the first night of the first trip.  I keep the tent door open for about 20 minutes while the oil burns off of the stove.  This helps with ventilation.  I have never noticed too much smoke or smell from the burning oil. 

Take care,
Cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908