View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Family Trip Kawartha Highlands  (Read 633 times)

Offline Marko_Mrko

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Family Trip Kawartha Highlands
« on: March 20, 2017, 11:07:28 pm »
Hi all,

Brief report of a trip this past weekend. It was only a single night, but I was able to take all three kids (4,6 and 9) as well as my wife. The original plan was Friday-Sunday, but the 4-year-old got a high fever Friday morning, so we changed plans. By Saturday he seemed better, and my wife was off work so we gave it a go. Turns out that the infection wasn't completely gone, so he spent the most of the trip sleeping (on a sled, chair, tent, etc), but still had a good time and nobody died. Success!

We went into Bottle Lake in the Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park, four-and-a-half hour drive from London. I had called the Long Lake Lodge on Thursday, and the nice man told me there was about 14" of ice on the lakes, that was reassuring. On the way up, the rivers and the narrows were all free from ice (somewhat worrisome), and there was little snow on the ground.

We got to the access - the trail was snow covered and we were able to use the sleds. There was no snow on the lake, I wished I brought skates. I dug a hole and the ice was 2 feet deep!

Lauren still did not trust the ice thickness. The 4-year-old was hitching a ride.

The only exception was the narrows, where there were a couple of spots of open water (2" long), surrounded by ice 4" think. 9-year-old was pulling the toboggan.

We settled on a site about 100m north of the first campsite (it was getting late, but it was a very lovely site). This was one of the few places with sufficient snow on the ground to use deadman stakes. Otherwise, the ground was very rocky and steel spikes would not have been possible.

The tent is an Atuk Kanguk 5-man. I've never actually slept 5 people in it before, but it accommodated 5 of us and a dog easily, with sufficient room for a small kitchen space, wood and the stove. Given past experiences (last year when the 4-year-old burned himself on the stove), I cut 8 stakes and pounded them into the snow around the stove. It kept the kids and dog safe, and I think it worked quite nicely.

The other issue was the wood supply. There was very few standing deadfall, and the available ones were quite soaked. Did find one that was relatively dry, but it took some searching.

The kids made shadow puppets on the tent at night, we had Shepherd's Pie and were in bed by 930. The temps dipped to -10ish. The boys all have 0-degree down sleeping bags from MEC. They never complained of the cold (sweater and long johns). The fire was a slow burner due to the moisture, and eventually died down.

The next morning was gorgeous.

I tried something new for breakfast - powdered peanut butter.
https://www.amazon.ca/Peanut-Butter-Hoosier-Hill-Farm/dp/B00BXR3WLS The instructions say you should add some salt and sugar. I did. Fed it to the kids. The 4-year-old vomited in his mouth, I told him to run out of the tent to vomit and he did. Good boy! None of the kids have ever done anything like this. I tried the peanut butter. I almost vomited. Impressively disguising. Tried to mix with chocolate powder. A little better, but still not edible. If anyone knows what's wrong (with the powder, not my family), please let me know. 

We went ice fishing on a lake close by. I dug a hole with very low expectations, and the kids did some jigging with white tubes. Ice was about 20" deep.

Success!

On the way back home, the 9-year-old pulled the 6-year-old, while Lauren pulled the sleeping 4-year-old.

Great trip overall, despite a somewhat lethargic infected child. Nice place to visit, there was some snowmobile traffic, but not very busy.

Cheers
Marko

Offline GearFreak

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
Re: Family Trip Kawartha Highlands
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 09:53:38 am »
Your more adventurous than I would have been with our kids, kudos to you and your wife for going.  I have a friend that has purchased the powdered PB but not certain if he has tried it yet.

Thanks for the report - probably one of the last ones we will see as snow is disappearing everywhere south of about 55?
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline cousin Pete

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 10:37:49 am »
Hello Marko_Mrko:  Congrats on getting the whole family out.  It must have been a lot of work to get out for just one night though.  Nice scenery.   I think that Peanut butter is one of those foods that needs to be stored and eaten as it is; not dehydrated or  turned into powder form.  I am glad your tent was large enough to accommodate your whole family.  I hope you get out for some nice canoe tripping this year.

Take care,
Cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 04:29:08 pm »
Nice to see your family report. The kids will remember it for ever. Snow is all but gone here in Barrie but the bush is holding some still. Great job on your over night Adventure.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Mercer

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 09:54:11 pm »
Regarding the peanut butter, I usually test new camp foods at home first.  This has saved me from a few unpleasant surprises.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 10:40:21 am »
Congratulations on getting out with the kids.

We use the powdered PB from PB2. I have never tried it to make a spread though. We use it to make up peanut (satay) sauces and add it to cookie mixes and granola bars for flavour and protein. The powder is peanuts with all the fat removed so I can see that it may not be very palatable.
www.canoepaddler.me.uk for canoe tripping and winter trekking photos and fireboxes

Offline walknabout

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 03:49:32 pm »
lol thanks for the warning on the PB ::)  3kids and a wife...wow, you are my new hero!  Looks like you had some nice weather, love seeing wide open skies like that 8)