View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winter 2020/2021 Tentative bucket list trip  (Read 686 times)

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Winter 2020/2021 Tentative bucket list trip
« on: March 25, 2017, 02:48:18 am »
Just putting it out there that these are my longer term goals.
Getting all the gear ready and I'll be clothing and footwear self sufficient.
The colder the better
I'd like to meet up and join in with anybody who would tolerate a Northern Winter newbie.
I'd need to share hot tent and stove and hire/borrow sled and skis/snowshoes or I can bring my own skis and bindings
I can bring a suitable winter cold tent if I had too

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Winter 2020/2021 Tentative bucket list trip
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 10:11:47 am »
Very interesting goals Moondog. I've asked a couple of others about hooking up on a similar trip as I'm on the fence of doing this trip solo but I'm dreaming of a fly-in (by Harlan) to Haven Lake in Woodland Caribou Provincial Park. Base camp, cut wood, sleep on spruce boughs, fish, explore on by big a$$ skis', etc. I have all the equipment needed including 2 sleds and I'll have 2 pairs of my snowskisshoes by then. Harlan tells me Haven Lake would put you some 40 air miles from the airport with the possibility of hearing wolves and seeing northern lights and who knows what else. At the minimum I'd want to stay a week to 10 days. Originally thinking about early 2018 but I've put this on the "back burner" since those I've mentioned this to couldn't commit or take the time off so far in advance.

Should we talk further about about this mate?

Cheers, Kelly

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 03:20:02 pm »
Kelly that sounds like my kind of trip and I'd definitely be interested;.
If you need a referral talk to Southcove, we have met in person even if we haven't walked/dragged sled together.
If I could get the "Deep Freeze" meeting in first for a little practice that would be even better.
This will be me spending my inheritance rather than leaving it to my ungrateful children.
I'll PM you with my email details

Offline wooley

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 03:54:12 pm »
Look into HOOP's part of Ontario....at least he seems to get cold and snow....not like down in this part of the Province!

MIKE
Vintro estas venanta !

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 04:12:28 pm »
Kelly that sounds like my kind of trip and I'd definitely be interested;.
If you need a referral talk to Southcove, we have met in person even if we haven't walked/dragged sled together.
If I could get the "Deep Freeze" meeting in first for a little practice that would be even better.
This will be me spending my inheritance rather than leaving it to my ungrateful children.
I'll PM you with my email details

Great. I'll send an e-mail shortly but Southcove as a referral???? Really? Anybody else you want to offer up? ;)

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 04:42:34 pm »
[

Great. I'll send an e-mail shortly but Southcove as a referral???? Really? Anybody else you want to offer up? ;)
Bear Grylls??

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 05:17:50 pm »
Quote from: Bioguide
[/quote

Better jump in here and defend yourself Brad, otherwise the Indians will start circling

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 11:11:31 am »
You'd be welcome in Winnipeg for a trip. You could combine it with some time polar bear watching in Churchill if you have cash to spare.

I have plenty of spare gear so could likely find everything you need aside from clothing and sleeping bag.
www.canoepaddler.me.uk for canoe tripping and winter trekking photos and fireboxes

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 04:48:50 pm »
Thanx BV
Ithought it was important to get it out there early

Offline GearFreak

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 04:51:25 pm »
I'm dreaming of a fly-in (by Harlan) to Haven Lake in Woodland Caribou Provincial Park. Base camp, cut wood, sleep on spruce boughs, fish, explore on by big a$$ skis', etc. I have all the equipment needed including 2 sleds and I'll have 2 pairs of my snowskisshoes by then. Harlan tells me Haven Lake would put you some 40 air miles from the airport with the possibility of hearing wolves and seeing northern lights and who knows what else. At the minimum I'd want to stay a week to 10 days. Originally thinking about early 2018 but I've put this on the "back burner" since

You know that is in our neck of the continent right?

You'd be welcome in Winnipeg for a trip. You could combine it with some time polar bear watching in Churchill if you have cash to spare.
I have plenty of spare gear so could likely find everything you need aside from clothing and sleeping bag.

WCP is a bit northwest of HOOPS usual playground I imagine, at least his weekend one.  Find somewhere outside of the park and I can use my Sled!!!

Sounds like an interesting group trip - maybe we need to get something standard going.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 04:19:59 am »
Better give Southcove plenty of time to get organised.
It would be great to meet some of the people who have been giving me all the good advice
Actually I have been thinking about International Couldn't Give a Stuff Week-end

Offline southcove

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 10:45:27 am »
Better give Southcove plenty of time to get organised.

what you talking about, mate?!

It's already, bagged, tagged and ready to rock and roll!

Offline memaquay

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 07:56:27 am »
I'm a 3 hour drive northeast of Hoop, and we have huge quantities of snow.  This year was pretty good from the middle of December till about now.  Still lots of snow in the bush, but it is getting too warm.

There are vast expanses of wilderness within minutes of my doorstep.  I don't man haul though, those days are gone, I pull mt gear on a skidoo.  That's a lot of fun!

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 10:34:44 pm »
Of course all offers of accomodation and guided tours will be accepted gracefully.
Still a while away from anything definite but I am not adverse to re-learning how to ride a snowmobile