View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Boosting my rating Query about the Goretex bivvy in the system  (Read 1400 times)

Online chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Boosting my rating Query about the Goretex bivvy in the system
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 10:55:19 AM »
Any tarp can be pitched so that all sides come tight to the ground equally on all 4 sides. 4 corner pegs and 4 corner poles, chimney as center pole is all that is needed to hold a tarp in any weather. No tie outs. In a wild wind the sides maybe should have some firewood or something tied to them to keep them tight to the ground.

Online Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 06:09:37 PM »
I remember we had a discussion along these lines a couple of seasons back
It's just our tradtional usage colours my outlook, this being a part of the world with summers 8 months long where maximising ventilation is the main aim

Online Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 06:12:06 PM »
I am hoping that next winter is really cold for you fellers and some-one can trial my idea for me and tell me if it works or not

Online chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 10:19:01 AM »
I remember we had a discussion along these lines a couple of seasons back
It's just our tradtional usage colours my outlook, this being a part of the world with summers 8 months long where maximising ventilation is the main aim
Yes we have been there before but I just want to jog your memory that the same 4 peg 4 pole tarp pitch I use can have all sides propped up making a sunshade open on all sides for hot sunny weather with out changing the corner pegs or poles.

Online Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 08:00:21 PM »
I think I've just crabbed another 5C degrees with my system
Even tho my beloved boss has told me I do not need any more sleeping bags she is bringing home one of the Brooks Range half bags for me. this is 5C degrees warmer than my current WM Tamarck and 150 grams lighter mainly because of the zipperless feature

Online Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 02:08:40 AM »
OK Just in case what I have been thinking about is too clunky and as somebody in the bushcraft forum refered to as hodgepodge, what are the opinions of the Western Mountaineering Kodiak as a base sleeping bag?
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/sleeping-bags/microfiber-series/kodiak-mf/

It is very slightly bigger than my current base bag and it is that 10 degrees warmer that I am told I need.
I would be using the Brooks Range half bag rated to -7C inside it as well as a very warm down parka. The Brooks Range half bag is itself 5 degrees warmer than my WM Tamarack short bag which is now for sale

Online Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 02:46:09 AM »
Old thread but why start a new one?
I have no funds to buy a FF Snowy Owl but everybody is saying it is better to have too much sleeping bag than not enough.
While I "think" I'd be OK using the combination of gear i already own I have decided to bite hard on the old leather belt and buy a big sleeping bag.
I still want to use what I have tho so I went into town the other day to a have a look at a bigger bag from the people who made my summit bag.
Their biggest bag would not fit over my summit bag but when I added in the expander wedge my bag was a very good fit, not perfect but good enough.
Combined loft of the two bags just slightly over 320mm free loft

https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/sleeping-bags/down/cocoon/
I am ordering one of these boosted to -18C or -25C
PLUS
one of these filled to match the sleeping bag
https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/sleeping-bags/down/expansion-gusset/

Not cheap but much cheaper than a new deep winter SB and saleable when my trip is over