View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Cleaning creosote  (Read 762 times)

wooley

Cleaning creosote
« on: April 09, 2017, 10:53:27 AM »
So, my final trip of the season had me having to use rather low quality softwoods for the majority of the trip; there was a lack of decent hardwood around. Consequently, I had a greater-than-expected build up of creosote glaze in my pipes.
Generally, what little I get removes well after a final burn and scrape at home. This time....not so much.

Any remedy you folks have...commercial or DIY?

MIKE

Offline rbinhood

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning creosote
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 11:15:49 AM »
I spent over an hour last Fall trying to get two nesting pipes apart that were welded together by creosote. Worse yet, these were ti pipes, so I didn't want wreck them by pounding on them.  If anyone has a simple solution for how to get stuck pipes apart, I'd sure like to hear it.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 11:56:29 AM »
One word for both of you, HEAT....

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 01:28:31 PM »
I spent over an hour last Fall trying to get two nesting pipes apart that were welded together by creosote. Worse yet, these were ti pipes, so I didn't want wreck them by pounding on them.  If anyone has a simple solution for how to get stuck pipes apart, I'd sure like to hear it.

Hoop has a good video demo here:

https://youtu.be/m1aOosHip-w

Offline brianw

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 06:16:59 PM »
So, my final trip of the season had me having to use rather low quality softwoods for the majority of the trip; there was a lack of decent hardwood around. Consequently, I had a greater-than-expected build up of creosote glaze in my pipes.
Generally, what little I get removes well after a final burn and scrape at home. This time....not so much.

Any remedy you folks have...commercial or DIY?

MIKE

What about one of those chimney sweeping wire wheels? 

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/imperial-pellet-stove-brush-4-in-0642833p.html#srp

or

https://www.princessauto.com/en/search?Dy=1&Nty=1&Ntt=chimney+brush

Get a coupling nut and a short length of all-thread and place in a portable drill and have at it. 

Cheers

Brian

wooley

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 06:32:39 PM »
MIKE

I have never seen glaze such as this.

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 06:12:34 PM »
So far I just wire brush them at home. Our wood is all wet pine and poplar.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Undersky

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 11:39:26 PM »
Hey RR, well cured creosote is like a glaze on ceramics - tough as nails until you heat it to the melting point. ANDN has it right. No easier way than to set up the stove again and run long hot burn with high calorie, dry wood. Then, run a light sweep through them - like a few dry scrubs with a long conifer branch - and they'll be dusty clean.