View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: (sniffle) ...saying goodbye to the woolies...!  (Read 1017 times)

Online southcove

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
(sniffle) ...saying goodbye to the woolies...!
« on: April 18, 2017, 03:12:26 pm »
Goodbye old friends!   

Well, just for the season, with the hope that the next winter actually brings a winter, despite a few starts, stutters and coughs along the way, overall it just didn't happen much in the NE USA.   (apologies to those who got two oversized big dumps of snow in NY area)

Storing wool clothing and other good stuff in my shop for the soft water season.  A few pieces of wool, which is what I am thinking about and have some questions on here.  Given that most of us have already moved on to spring activities I don't expect much response, but if anyone has any ideas on seasonal wool storage, that would be appreciated.

So my pants, jackets, shirts are all fairly clean, smoke free by now... will be off the floor either in plastic storage bins or soft cotton canvas duffle bags.   Should I wrap any or all of them in plastic garbage bags, throw in a dryer sheet or mothballs...my shop is known to have mice, so trying to have everything up high and on metal posts and it's pretty open to outside air, often for  much of the work week, so not sure if items should be secured against moths, humidity, etc.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Offline cousin Pete

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: (sniffle) ...saying goodbye to the woolies...!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 04:15:48 pm »
Hello Southcove:  I hang my wool pants, wool shirts and wool jackets in the closet.  I keep my wool long johns, wool underwear and wool base layer shirts in wood drawers.  I have never had issues with moths.  I have used pieces of cedar in the drawers in the past.  I hope we get a good winter next  year.  I hope you get out for some good canoe tripping this year. 

Take care,
Cousin Pete
"Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908

Offline wooley

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 05:13:21 pm »
I keep mine in one of those large, fabric hanging bags in the CAMPING ROOM (my caps!). Y'know the ones...with the integral bars that multiple articles can be hung from. They are designed as dust covers for in the closet. About $5 each at Giant Tiger. No problems with moths.
Vintro estas venanta !

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 05:47:58 pm »
I have an old wardrobe cupboard I hang my gear in, I also use cedar balls and old fashioned napthalene moth balls as the stink does seem to keep out the little vermin and I use plastic bags as well open at the bottom and a small hole in the top.
All my winter gear goes in the same cupboard.

Offline theDuck

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:24:57 pm »
I store my wool in large plastic containers with lids that snap in place. Mice and moths are an issue to be avoided at all costs.

Offline APPaul

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 07:24:12 am »
I do like many others I just hang my coats and sweaters in clothes bags with some cedar. I use whatever cedar I have lying around. Sometimes it's off cuts, shims or even those planks you buy to cook fish on. No bug holes yet!

Offline Coldfeet

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 07:20:47 pm »
Good topic southcove, I was thinking about that a few weeks ago.  I bought a pair of those red checkered hunting pants at a Goodwill store and used them quit a bit.  Got some dirt and food grease and possibly soot on them.  It mentions to dry clean them professionally but I really don't think there is a need to do that.  Would it be harmful to not have them cleaned?  Thanks

Offline Kalvik

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 08:42:34 pm »
Clean clothes are warmer.

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 11:41:33 pm »
Clean clothes are warmer.

Gently wash in cool water Wool soap [ actually I use a mix of Ammonia and Bi-Carb it's better] Rinse in cool water. low gentle spin dry flat
Much cheaper than dry cleaning and better for the clothes, it's the heat and agitation that kills woollens

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 08:25:06 am »
I wash mine every spring in the machine with Woolite for darks on gentle cycle and hang to dry. then I run work clothes through the washer to pick up all the lint and crap that comes out of them. If you don't do this very important step, I'll hear your wife screaming from here! I have it on good authority that lint rollers WILL NOT remove felted wool fibres from dress skirts :(

Offline wooley

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 09:57:51 am »
I wash mine every spring in the machine with Woolite for darks on gentle cycle and hang to dry. then I run work clothes through the washer to pick up all the lint and crap that comes out of them. If you don't do this very important step, I'll hear your wife screaming from here! I have it on good authority that lint rollers WILL NOT remove felted wool fibres from dress skirts :(

I feel yer pain, griz!
Vintro estas venanta !

Offline Coldfeet

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 05:02:35 pm »

Thanks, think I'm going to hand wash the pants in the tub and hang to dry. 

Wife, "did you see my white blouse hanging in laundry room?"  Me, "Nope, but there is a pink one."  Wife, "Didn't you separate the clothes when you washed it?"  Me, "ummmm, was I supposed to?"   Fast forward 30 years later, I have learned my lesson but I will never forget that. 

Offline Caribou

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 06:48:43 pm »
I like this topic! Cold and grey here today so I had to start the wood stove again and put the woolies back on. Similar to theduck I store mine in plastic tubs with snap-on lids. I do, however, first hang them on the clothesline on a cold windy day which gives them that wonderful fresh-air smell and seems to 'air-clean' them to some extent. I haven't tried the cedar lining though, I'll have to try that.

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 07:18:15 am »
Coldfeet; If your wife's like mine, she won't let you forget! :(

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 05:02:40 pm »
Coldfeet; If your wife's like mine, she won't let you forget! :(

Or possibly if she is like my Ex she will "Help" by washing your things for you.  HOT and then tumble drying