View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Cold Camping? Reasonable weight on the sled?  (Read 232 times)

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Cold Camping? Reasonable weight on the sled?
« on: July 14, 2017, 06:44:34 pm »
As part of my "Bucket List" trip planning I have started to assemble some new gear.
I've grown somewhat over the last few decades but even if I lose a few kilos I will still have a 47 inch chest and I'll still be 6 feet tall.
being big already means my clothing is a bit heavier than that for somebody who is a medium.
I've read Andrew Skurkas gear lists for his winter trips in Alaska but I don't/won't have the funds to buy all the UL gear he used to get his weight down to 15 kilos including his skis and ski boots.
Then again I don't think I will be trying to do a thousand kilometre trip in quick time.
Discounting food and fuel and the ski gear what is a reasonable target to aim for?
I have already decided to keep my UL winter bag and therefore I've ordered an overqulit from Nunatak to give me a temperature boost so including my mattress system I will have almost 4 kilos in the sleeping gear

Offline Kaifus

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Camping? Reasonable weight on the sled?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 05:37:12 pm »
A year ago when I cold camped my total hauling weight including sled, fuel, and 2L of water was 26.2 kg or 30.5 after the food bag. I took my over-bag and together with my main Wiggy's sleeping bag they weighted 4.4 kg which weight could be reduced a fair amount if I wanted to spend to money, but otherwise my hauling weight is getting harder to shave down.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:48:16 pm by Kaifus »

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 07:39:35 pm »
20 to 30 kilos is about where I am at depending on my fuel load and what tent I pack
I'd like to get it  lower and still be safe and comfortable
I have just confirmed the order and almost paid for the synthetic overquilt from Nunatak to replace my 1200 gram overbag so I will save 800 grams there and I am seriously contemplating ordering a new down pullover too, saving another 800 grams, but the 4 kilos for sleeping gear didn't count the weight of the big down parka [ at 1350 grams it is heavy, very warm but heavy and too tight for layering now] but over a kilo of that is the thick mattress system and I don't think I can scrimp there
How heavy was and which tent did you haul Kaifus?

Neither of my winter tents is a LW but to save weight there I would need to spend a lot of money

Offline Kaifus

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 10:13:39 pm »
I took the same tent I use for hot-tenting, it's a Golite Shangri La 5 with four internal poles which weights 3.504 kg. Probably bigger and heavier than needed but it sets up so easy.

It's been nice thinking about winter camping weights today. A nice change from summer for me.

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 10:43:08 pm »
I haven't seen pix, how did you fix the internal frame?
Weight sounds about right for comfort tho

Offline Mangrove

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 12:40:14 am »
According to some Swedish and Finnish tests, weight up to 25 kg (c. 30 % of person's weight) is as easy or easier to carry on one's back instead of a sledge.

Offline GearFreak

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 10:37:41 am »
The last time I truly cold camped was about 20 years ago.  I carried about 30-40lbs total no sled, on snowshoes, lean too tarp shelter. 

Cold camping has no real appeal for me anymore.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline Kaifus

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 11:21:12 pm »
I haven't seen pix, how did you fix the internal frame?

Here's my tent from that trip. Obvious why I didn't bring my woodstove.

Different tent but same poles, I used a giant key ring for the joint and some tubing for spacers. Poles are secured to the tent's adjustable stake loops at the bottom of tent.

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 01:07:04 am »
I like the key ring idea