View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: The 1st Annual Ontario Winter Camping Symposium is happening. Winter is coming!  (Read 1385 times)

Offline PineMartyn

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • Gone Canoeing
The 1st Annual Ontario Winter Camping Symposium is happening.

Winter is coming!  The Ontario Winter Camping Symposium will be taking place on November 25th, 2017 in Waterloo, Ontario. The speakers and presenters will have something for everyone: for those who are curious about winter camping but unsure how to get started, those who already enjoy winter camping but are looking for the next step, and those who are experienced winter campers.  The symposium's sponsors include: Snowtrekker, Manscamping.ca, The Outland Supply Company, The Canadian Outdoor Equipment Co., Whisky Jack Outdoor Co., and See Sawyer Run.

The presenters include Kevin Callan who is previewing his new book on winter camping, Jim Baird (one of the two winners of the History Channel's 'Alone' reality show), and others, including long-standing members of the WinterTrekking forum.

Here's the website: www.ontariowintercamping.ca
Please check out and share the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ontariowintercamping/

Cheers,
Martin
No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Offline DMarrone

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Lure of the North
This looks like a great event, with a diverse lineup of presentations!  The organizer has a great reputation with the KW Canoe Symposium, so this should be in good hands.  Wish we could make it this year, look forward to this becoming an annual Ontario tradition!
Lure of the North
http://lureofthenorth.com

Offline PineMartyn

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • Gone Canoeing
We'd have been so pleased to have had Lure of the North this year.  Fingers crossed for next year. :-) 
No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Offline DMarrone

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Lure of the North
Thanks PineMartyn,
We've been working on getting our schedule up earlier the last couple of years - reduces our stress levels, but means less chance to jump at events like this on short notice.  We'll have to get the dates from you guys early next year! 
Lure of the North
http://lureofthenorth.com

Offline Oldand Fat

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Got my ticket.
Nice to be closer just 2.25 hrs , then Duluth, Mn about 17 hours drive or Fairlee, VT about 11 hrs , from Kemble.
I looking forward to learning from the speakers and the attendees.
See you.
Stay safe
OAF/ Dave
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain

Offline Oldand Fat

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Bump
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
I wish I could come to this.
Maybe for 2020 tho

Offline sleddawg

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Rhum Line Marine

Got my ticket...........

I will bring patches & stickers, you can't have too many. 

Ken
I, haul the sled so therefore I am "the" dawg.....

Offline sleddawg

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Rhum Line Marine

I know it's early in the season but if by chance we do have a dump of snow, I'd be happy to lead (using the term "lead" with trepidation) a snowshoe hike on a section of the Avon Trail near where I live just East of Stratford.

This would be on the Sunday morning for those staying over. 

Was going to say "pray for snow" but it's a bit like preaching to the choir.

Cheers,
Ken

Offline southcove

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Now that fall is truly here for some in the northern and mountain regions of the US and Canada (watching webcam snowfall last weekend) some of you can start counting the weeks on your hands to the start of winter.

For many of us, (we're still worried about nearby and plentiful hurricanes on the East coast of the Atlantic) those handful of weeks until winter begins, are really more a handful of months before real cold sets in.

In the meantime, I am reluctant to turn in my shorts, short sleeves and sport sandals for new regalia. 

Hope you all have a great gathering at the Symposium.

Offline David B.

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Hi folks!

David Bain here....finally a Wintertrekking member!

I am new to wintercamping....but not to running a symposium. So when I found a deal on a used (new in box) Snowtrekker tent and a stove, I thought...I guess I should go to a get together of winter campers to learn how to use them properly.

To my surprise, I quickly discovered that Ontario does not presently have one....so I guess I better run a symposium!

The rest is history.

I am humbled by the support the community has shown....the speakers, the volunteers. It is a small start....no camping, t-shirts, seminars or patches this year....maybe in the future? What we will have are:

6 great speakers

Numerous product displays

Several deals on equipment purchased by attendees

Lots of great door prizes

Get the deatials, and buy your tickets at:

www.ontariowintercamping.ca

Last block of tickets is now on sale...don't be disappointed!

Dave

Offline southcove

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Wow - you have really made this happen in a big way...best of luck!  Great group of speakers and sponsors...!   

May have to have Coldfeet shadow you to see how he can make something similar happen in the NE (w apologies to the renowned SnowWalker event in VT).   

Offline David B.

• View Profile
The sponsors and speakers have been great! Lots of donated door prizes ( an Anorak, a custom axe, twig stove, Keltie Kettle basecamp kit, maps from Friends of Temagami etc )...over 200 tickets sold so far. Looking forward to it!

Offline sleddawg

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • Rhum Line Marine

............just a reminder that there will be patches & stickers available.  Since I won't need to do postage and handling the patches will be $5.00 and the stickers at $3.00   Huge savings.

Ken

Offline David B.

• View Profile
About 20 tickets left....still planning on coming? Don't wait and miss out!

www.ontariowintercamping.ca