View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Costco Snow Mountain Snow Shoes 99.00 - worth it?  (Read 197 times)

Offline AJM

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Costco Snow Mountain Snow Shoes 99.00 - worth it?
« on: September 23, 2017, 08:18:53 am »
Costco has a Faber snowshoe called "snow mountain" on for 99.00 (poles are included with the set) are these worth it? I don't own a pair of snow shoes yet and don't know good from bad. I know this group tends to hew towards traditional snowshoes but putting that aside are these worth it for a first timer or should I wait and spend more money? I tried to attach pictures but got an error message.  But this link seems to be to the same product:
https://www.costco.ca/Faber-Snow-Mountain-Aluminum-Snowshoes.product.100143609.html

Here's the description:

Product Details
The Snow Mountain snowshoes are designed and assembled in Canada for use as much in tracks as off trails thanks to their patented  pivot "Sport" with stopper.  Made of carbon steel rod allowing the foot to pivot while also blocking rotation at 70 degrees to prevent impact between the front of snowshoes and the shin and to ease backward walking and jumps over obstacles. Light snowshoes with a good traction they shall insure you a good control on all kind of terrain. They are easy to fit due to the binding of 3 buckles with lever ratchet adjustment. Furthermore, they are maintenance free. Strong and well adapted to our Canadian winter conditions, they will provide healthy leisure activities without inconvenience.

Features:
Choice:
 Red 20.32 cm x 53.34 cm (8 in. x 21 in.) up to 68 kg (150 lbs)
 Blue 20.32 cm x 66.04 cm (8 in. x 26 in.) up to 90 kg (200 lbs)
 Green 22.86 cm x 73.66 cm (9 in. x 29 in.) up to 113 kg (250 lbs)
Strong, lightweight aluminum frame with anodized finish
High abrasion-resistant HDPE decking
Cold resistance -40ºF (-40ºC)
Suspended pivot with full rotation
Light step, back end stays on snow and does not stick
Minimum toe lift to exit snow print
Better lateral control
Suspension-assured ankle comfort
Improved traction
Stopper avoids shin bone contact and eases backward walking and jumping over obstacles
Front and rear aluminum crampons
Non-slip footbed base and heel pieces
TPR binding with 3 lever ratchet buckles plus toe box
Soft rear strap
Hand adjustable
Poles adjustable 65 cm to 130 cm (25.6 in. to 51.2 in.) with an anti shock system on / off + winter and summer baskets
Case bag to ease transport and storage of snowshoes and pole

Offline memaquay

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Costco Snow Mountain Snow Shoes 99.00 - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 10:48:23 am »
That's a good buy for those snowshoes. There are several companies that make snowshoes in that price range, and they are usually crap.  Faber is a reputable company.  I own several pairs of fabers, ranging from traditional wooden shoes to some very expensive modern ones.  Unless Faber has had a dramatic change in quality control in the last year, I think you would be getting a good buy.

Offline AJM

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 07:35:18 pm »
Thanks for the input. Snagged a pair today. Felt weird buying snowshoes when it was 34c outside. Hope I get to use them soon!! I picked up the pair rated for 200lbs because I am only 135 and I figure that if my weight (clothes plus pack) puts me over 200 then it is time to get a pulk!!

Also the 250+ rated snowshoes were really long and I worried about maneuvering in anything but open trails.

Offline memaquay

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 06:24:54 pm »
I'm a heavy fellow, so most snowshoes don't give me much float in powder.  If you are on a trail that is already broken, size becomes much less important.  I usually use modern snowshoes that are 36 inches long.   If I'm breaking powder, I'll use my five foot alaskans.
https://www.fabersnowshoes.com/snowshoes/heavy-duty-lacing/us