View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Stacking sleeping mats Warmth and comfort  (Read 840 times)

Offline Oldand Fat

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Stacking sleeping mats Warmth and comfort
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 08:54:47 am »
No it is not stupid. A few problems to over come. It can still slip from end to end. Mats have to be the same width. Wait until after you try it. It still may not work. For camping in my Van It did not work and had to make a sleeve ( closed on 3 sides) . For a reason I do not understand when sleeping on a snow shelf I had very little trouble with slipping. I do have a thermarest sized piece of that no slip material that you put under a rug to keep it from slipping on a hardwood floor. I can’t remember how I used it. I don't think it works when it is cold so the mats slipped apart before they warned up.
I went on my first over night canoe trip in 1949. So I have had lots of time to learn. On my first Deep Freeze I doubled my wintercamping knowledge. The people on Wintertrekking and CCR are a great resource base.
Thanks  for all you have taught me.
Stay safe
OAF/Dave
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain

Offline hotelfive

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 03:39:00 pm »
I actually just started stacking two pads together and find it WAY more comfortable.  I don't do it for warmth and I only do it in the shoulder seasons or winter when I'm not in my hammock.  I have a Thermarest Mondoking and even at 4 inches thick my shoulders start to hurt in the morning.  I tried putting my Thermarest Neo All Season on top (held with a couple velcro stretchy straps) and man the difference is amazing.  I under-inflate both a bit and find it to be very comfy.  I always bring a spare pad with me anyway (I don't trust inflatables, especially on a winter trip) so I figured it was worth a try!

Offline GearFreak

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 11:06:10 pm »
Hey GearFreak? What mattress were you using on the UL cot?

I cannot remember what or if I used anything.  I will if I use it in the future.   
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Online Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 07:11:02 pm »
Of course S2S have brought out a new mattress that is thicker since my first post but even so it isn't any warmer, the R-Value of the mat is the same but mates who have purchased it say it is much more comfortable so stacking is still going to be required to stay warm. A sleeve in LW fabric doesn't add much extra, nor does LW tape.
There is a limit to bulk tho and the constant Law of Diminishing Returns, so going too thick on the CCF may not be the best option under the RidgeRest Solar, 12mm may well be too thick but 3mm may not be enough, how common are wide CCF pads to suit the wide RidgeRest Solar?

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 09:04:17 pm »
If it it too cold for my Thermarest Trail Pro self-inflating mattress over my Ridgerest CFC mat then I'm not going out. That combo on packed snow is good to -50 F. in a tent.

Eric B.

Online Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 10:47:23 pm »
But what happens if you are already out and 4 days from a cabin?
People keep telling me to be prepared and then turn around and tell me I worry too much
Like I probably really do not need a -40 sleeping system but "What IF"??