View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Roof Box?  (Read 394 times)

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Roof Box?
« on: October 10, 2017, 02:18:05 PM »
Anyone use a roofbox? I'm thinking of adding one to my Subaru to free up some space inside when we have two sleds plus dog.

Any brands to avoid? Would I be better buying a bag thingy for occasional use or should I shell for a rigid box from day one?

Thoughts please!

BV
www.canoepaddler.me.uk for canoe tripping and winter trekking photos and fireboxes

Online southcove

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Roof Box?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 02:52:58 PM »
I have only used a friends hard box several times and watching him drive past me one trip with the thing in some harmonic motion on the roofrack at 70mph or so got me to thinking unpleasant thoughts.  (an unplanned departure from the roof mainly)

Other times we have used a old style soft bag on the roof of the SUV...that is very useful, but not secure in a different way (so lots of bulky things go up there, clothes bags, mattresses, sleeping bags, etc) and making sure you protect from the insidious reach of the weather gods (plastic garbage bags, carefully folded or dry bags).  But doing that (roof top stowage) allowed a 3rd person to come along on several gear intensive trips where previously only 2 adults really fit comfortably for the long drive. 

Given your other talents, perhaps a self-sewn soft bag with some shape defining CCF pads sewn in...maybe a slanted front for some aero effect.  I know canoe or kayaks on the roof have a noted effect on gas mileage, so have always assumed the same for a hard or soft roof top box will as well.   I would go soft bag and save yourself a huge amount of $$$.

Offline kiggy

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »
I have old Thule hard case, it is bombproof. I got 10 yo and have it 6th year. this thingy gives you lots of space for over-sized  equipment.
as for gas mileage I don't see much differences if I am in speed limits.
go for it, soft bags are waste of money (imho)
just go for good brands like Thule or YAkima.

Online buddhabelly

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 04:34:29 PM »
Had a Thule, now have a Yakima. Can't go wrong with either tbh. Make sure it's long enough for your longest item. ie-my 7' bait casting rods *barely* fit diagonally in my box. Also you will learn to check garage heights lest you scrape everything in the parking garage lol.

They are great for freeing up space in the trunk/ car etc.. Couldn't imagine life without one lol

Online Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 05:13:36 PM »
Interesting that you posted this just now
The Boss just bought herself a new car, a KIA Sorrento. Therefore no boot.
I picked up an older Thule roof pod on Monday for $50- that I think will really help with the storage issue up to its limit of 75 kilos
The instructions say that it is good to a maximum of 135 kph, which is well over the legal maximum here of 110kph.
Well except in the Northern Territory where there is no maximum speed and people drive really really fast [ like 300kph] and even the road trains drive at a hundred miles an hour

Online AunNordDuNord

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 09:04:54 PM »
Use to use one a lot. for everything, we even fitted an entire caribou in our comping back from a hunting trip!

Make sure it is big enough too fit what you need!!

Online Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 09:08:05 PM »
Some of them are too easy to break into by a determined thief so I am adding in a small alloy lock-box with its own padlock secured to the bottom with stainless security bolts and washers

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 09:40:23 PM »
Would have been interesting to have been stopped by the RCMP with that in there.

Those boxes aren't cheap. I need to sell a lot more bags!
www.canoepaddler.me.uk for canoe tripping and winter trekking photos and fireboxes

Offline kiggy

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 10:05:50 PM »
lots of deals on kijiji for used, my best $350 I ever spent on the car accessories. 
older models are built to last

Offline NorseScotsman

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 09:05:30 AM »
I have had a Yakima box for 10+ years. They are built solid. No issues at all.

Offline snow-walker67

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 12:48:18 PM »
I purchased a Yakima Rocket Box a little over 20 years ago.  Absolutely love it and I use it all rear round.