View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Wintertrekking.com - Site is for sale  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • SoloTripping.com - The Solo Tripper's Online Community
Wintertrekking.com - Site is for sale
« on: October 12, 2017, 11:11:56 AM »
Hello everyone,

It's been a great run and both HOOP and i have enjoyed learning, sharing and meeting so many of you over the years.  The time has come though for someone else to take over the site and hopefully continue to grow it!  There truly is no other community like this on the web and the knowledge contained within the main site and forums is truly remarkable.

We have had some interest from folks outside the site to purchase it and take it over, however i wanted to offer members the opportunity to take it over first.  If anyone here is interested in acquiring the site, please drop me a line via PM or email [email protected].  You may also feel free to call us at 807-727-9797.

Cheers,

Harlan

Offline GearFreak

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
Re: Wintertrekking.com - Site is for sale
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 11:31:47 AM »
Harlan, I hope you an Hoop will recover some of your sweat equity and costs on the sale.  Maybe enough for a new rifle for Hoop's new Hobby and something for yourself.

Hope that the direction does not change with new ownership and that the moderators still have the same policy.

Thank you for your efforts.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline kiggy

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 11:51:23 AM »
I hope we don't loose all good info and shared experience. I have learned a lot from here.

Offline buddhabelly

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 12:06:36 PM »
thanks for creating a community for a niche group like ours ;) also hope this means u can get out and enjoy the four seasons much more now and that whoever buys this site keeps it as is !
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:53:21 PM by buddhabelly »

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 12:43:48 PM »
The intent would be the site not only stays running, but gets better.  We have appreciated all the contributions over the years and the last thing we would do is hand this off to someone that would destroy it.  The site will survive

Offline snapper

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 02:54:51 PM »
I've only been here a couple of years, far less than many of the regular contributors, but I just want to say thank you for maintaining this site.  It was a wonderful discovery for me and I've enjoyed my time here; listening, learning and being the beneficiary of so much talent & information.  I look forward to the future and wish you nothing but great days ahead.

That's all for now.  Take care and until our paths should cross....be well.

snapper

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 05:21:27 PM »
Learned a lot here over a very short time
Are you keeping the hard store or giving that up too?
Good luck for your next endeavour and safe travels
Regards
Ted M

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 05:59:52 PM »
Thanks for giving us a place to sit on those cold nights when we can't get out. It's been fun learning and laughing. Best of luck in your new ventures.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline Moondog55

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 06:10:55 PM »
Personally I think Southcove should buy the site. He needs another excuse to get out and camp during the winter

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 07:52:27 PM »
Speaking for myself only, I just cannot give the site the attention it deserves.  My outfitting business has grown to the point where i need to focus solely on it, so other things in my life have to go. 

Thank you all for the positive comments so far.

Offline Undersky

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 11:32:26 PM »
I certainly respect your and Hoop's decision to pass on the torch. At the same time, I am very thankful you two have devoted a huge amount of time and energy, and not all on your own preferred schedules, and for little profit, I am sure.

Many of us have benefited from your "sweat equity" as GF rightly calls it. These forums are quite unique in content, but also in tone. You have kept our human vagaries within completely civil boundaries. That effort on your parts has allowed all of us to be comfortable in our own skin, so to speak, so we've all been able to learn and share that much more, and have fun doing it!

These are significant successes and they speak to your character and values.

Thank you very much!

Dean

Offline snow-walker67

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 12:51:26 PM »
Congratulations.  I'm sure that the decision wasn't an easy one or a quick one.
I personally want to make sure to say a sincere thank you for all the work and time and commitment over the years building and operating this fantastic forum and invaluable source of information, feedback and opinions from good folks with similar interests.  Thanks you so much to both you and Hoop.

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 04:21:20 PM »
There comes a time when everyone wants to move on and open some new doors.

Hope you can find a good buyer. Thanks for the memories and thanks for introducing me to a wonderful new way to enjoy my love of nature.

You and Hoop provided me with one of those new doors to open. I'll be forever grateful.
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

Offline Haggis

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 01:33:14 PM »
Ambivalence,,, that's the feeling,,,

Pleased that success or interests in other areas is keeping you both moving forward, but not pleased to see you go,,,
“It is tedious to live; it is tedious to die; it is tedious to c**p in deep snow”
Old Norwegian Observation

Offline Coldfeet

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 08:16:28 AM »
Appreciate all of your work and time put into this site, thank you.  It has turned into another outdoor adventure for me in some what of the "traditional" method in some aspects.  Health and happiness to you both.  CF