View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Elliot Merrick  (Read 117 times)

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
Elliot Merrick
« on: November 03, 2017, 02:51:04 pm »
If you have read "True North and "Northern Nurse" you may be interested to watch this interview from the Newfound Labrador archive with the author Elliot Merrick

https://youtu.be/wRKaBKFrK_M
www.canoepaddler.me.uk for canoe tripping and winter trekking photos and fireboxes

Online jwclever

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Elliot Merrick
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 05:38:59 pm »
BV,
Thanks for the link. Merrick has become a favorite of mine. This time last year in a thread on great winter camping books, Merrick's True North was recommended. The timing allowed me to put it on my Christmas wish list. Santa, who might do some winter camping himself when time permits, was kind enough to put it under the tree. Once I started it, I couldn't put it down.  For others, I can't recommend it enough. It's a beautifully written book that takes the reader back to 1930 and a husband and wife's winter journey with trappers into remote Labrador. It's description of a winter lifestyle and its tools give us an idea of how it was then and the characters who lived it. It's a shame that the author lost his camera on the trip as photos would have been the only thing that would have made this book better. 

Cheers,
Bill