View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Sharing  (Read 357 times)

Offline kie

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
    • www.lureofthenorth.com
Sharing
« on: November 15, 2017, 10:48:05 AM »
At the Winter Camping Symposium in Minnesota this year, Dave Delafield gave a great presentation as the Friday night keynote. He talked about giving thanks where thanks is due. Honouring our past so we can continue to grow in the future. This is a huge part of where our company came from and where we hope it continues to go.

We travel across Ontario teaching traditional crafts that we certainly didn't come up with. We honour the traditional skills that have been passed on through generations. And with that, we've made what we believe to be improvements. We acknowledge the traditional materials and techniques used, but cannot ignore modern advancements in technologies. So we've been adapting to those changes.

We have compiled instructional booklets, patterns and more information on our website for you to use freely. We have taken what we have learned, and personalized it with our own efforts and modifications. We believe it is important to share this information to you rather than sell it because this knowledge should be passed on like it always has been.

We do however, appreciate that you give credit where credit is due. In our booklets, we acknowledge where we have be given our base knowledge from, which is very important. So we ask that if you do use our instructional booklets and patterns, to please acknowledge this. Sharing knowledge is imperative to creating a strong growing community.

We are always of course improving our instructions. With new versions coming out (less often than we would admittedly like), check back often. We are also working our way through our booklets and making YouTube videos for those of you that are more incline to those.

We also acknowledge that are a hundred ways to skin a cat (not really sure why this expression has stuck around..). So we have provided our way of doing things and they have worked for us. But we are always open to hearing your ideas, stories and different techniques.

Our lives are busy, so when we find something that works and works really well for us, I have a tendency to be happy to settle on it. There seems to be the types of people that want to have the absolute best of the best. But then it seems they never get it done, they never get out there and do it,  and they end up getting stuck, unsatisfied with what actually would work fine for their purpose. So if you're that person, I encourage you to bite the bullet and just start doing. You might find that what you had in front of you, works not only fine, but actually quite brilliantly. I could go on and on about this but perhaps it will be a different post.

So if you're looking for a good resource on how to make your own clothing for the winter season, please check out our info hub:

https://lureofthenorth.com/info-hub/

AND if you appreciate our efforts, please consider supporting us with the purchase of our DIY kits:

https://lureofthenorth.com/shop/product-category/diy_kits/

I think you'll find, that if you were to source all of these new, high quality materials yourself, you will end up spending just as much or more.

Thank you!!  :-*

There isn't a place I'd rather be.

Offline digital_photog

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 11:56:44 AM »
thanks for your videos.  Used them to make a pair of mittens and now to make new lampwick bindings for a pair of snowshoes.  Your instructions on how to make tie the bindings were the clearest I have seen. 
Looking forward to the mukluk kit and Anorak to get here.  Should have them in a few days.

Buckeye Al, Blacksmith
Happily retired and now I can play.

Offline Bkrgi

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 02:57:17 PM »
Thanks Kie and Dave for all the knowledge and the fact it is shared and open for people to learn from which hopefully encourages more to enter the winter camping realm.
Heck just shared your web site info on another forum for others to garner the info to meet their needs and or heck even buy a kit from you guy's

Now do I really need a DIY sled kit or not.... hummmmm....
Sure Love the Anorak and winter moc's though....and if we actually get some snow will get to use the bear paws for once....

Keep up the GREAT work.
Living warm in North x Northwest BC
IMG-20161030-04037 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline walknabout

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 02:41:13 PM »
Thanks Kie and Dave for all the knowledge and the fact it is shared and open for people to learn from which hopefully encourages more to enter the winter camping realm.
As one of those "victims", I second this motion :) Thank YOU!!
I remember drooling over all the amazing pics in the planet D article and showing them to my wife to "sell" the concept of winter camping.  The rest is recent history....
Keep spreadin' the love guys 8)