View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: need quick and dirty pole solution for prospector  (Read 507 times)

Offline jscudds

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
need quick and dirty pole solution for prospector
« on: November 15, 2017, 04:15:34 PM »
I bought a prospector tent and to my surprise a buddy had some metal poles that just about almost ,...Almost fit.   Im shy about a foot in length and a foot in with,...( height  im not worried about because i may extend the walls and or ad sodcloth at a later time.)

So
I have too many projects on the go right now,... and im time pressed.    i'm just wondering if theres any quick and dirty tips to make this usable in the interim.  For example,  I though about maybe lashing a thick dowel to extent the ridgeline taunt,... etc

The poles belong to a tent  no longer sold on the marketplace and kijiji internet searches didn't come up with much.  Im not really interested in welding or a big todo,... just though maybe someone might have a cool easy idea.

thanks,...
Josh

Offline Undersky

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: need quick and dirty pole solution for prospector
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 04:26:55 PM »
Hey Josh, no doubt you've already thought about them and tossed these ideas out, but....

Could the pole sections that are too short be cut, their edges reamed, and an appropriate length of additional pole section added? You might use a larger diameter added section to slide over the ends of the existing pole sections, or a smaller diameter section to fit inside the original sections. A single hole drilled through the new junctions with a retaining pin inserted, or screw driven in is all that would be needed to hold them together lengthwise.

Looks like the angles of the elbow fittings might need to be made smaller. An electrical shop often can do quick one-off jobs with their array of conduit benders.

Just some ideas.

Offline lifeintheround

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 04:44:31 PM »
How about cutting lengths of emt to fit, it's cheap and comes in 10' lengths.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 05:04:15 PM »
Robin used closet poles from the hardware store: http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=1656.msg12834#msg12834
maybe he'll chime in?

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 06:03:37 PM »
Order a wall tent tube connector kit and make your own frame from 1" EMT electrical conduit.

https://www.walltentshop.com/collections/wall-tent-angle-kits
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

Offline jscudds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 06:10:31 PM »
there are 3 extra pole sections for each  left and right side not shown in the picture as the original tent was higher.  they might work to fix the width .... but then I wouldn't have the option of extending the walls down to make it taller in the future.  i would also still have to find a solution for  ridgeline legnth....  which I'm thinking of lashing a dowel to the top of the  ridgeline pole and poke the back point out  it's only about 8 " to a foot.... is that idea foolish? I figure the front where the stove is would be proper and the rear would be slightly jerry rigged...

thanks for your responses I'm still mulling over them

Offline southcove

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 06:39:43 PM »
For me, I want to know how you are planning on transporting the tent (what size is it by the way?)... connectors and EMT sure add up to weight in a hurry! (and length too).   Something this size and bulk is probably best used in a group or in a car accessible campsite.

Once you get the angle of the side wall connectors, you could also consider wood dowels (similar to what Bio suggested) or 1x1" or 1x2" hardwood, available in 8-10' lengths and easy to work, drill, tap, etc.  (and quite strong and resilient)

I've made my own internal A-frame for a 9x11x3' side wall tent and it's still a bit of a challenge to get it all setup correctly and securely.   If you have another tent you can use in the meantime, the machinations you'll go through to get this working to your satisfaction will be challenging, but a bit of fun to.

Offline jscudds

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 05:15:04 AM »
For me, I want to know how you are planning on transporting the tent (what size is it by the way?)... connectors and EMT sure add up to weight in a hurry! (and length too).   Something this size and bulk is probably best used in a group or in a car accessible campsite.

Once you get the angle of the side wall connectors, you could also consider wood dowels (similar to what Bio suggested) or 1x1" or 1x2" hardwood, available in 8-10' lengths and easy to work, drill, tap, etc.  (and quite strong and resilient)

I've made my own internal A-frame for a 9x11x3' side wall tent and it's still a bit of a challenge to get it all setup correctly and securely.   If you have another tent you can use in the meantime, the machinations you'll go through to get this working to your satisfaction will be challenging, but a bit of fun to.

Tent is 10x 12.. i'm currently building 2 a 9 foot hdpe sled for transport,... most trips wont be a long hike in.  maybe a km or two from the car,.. also hoping to set up on my buddys farm for the odd night out as he has some pretty nice viewes and has a wood lot.,... and id like to get to a few gatherings like deepfreeze.

Offline Robin

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 09:17:36 AM »
I use a interior frame for my wall tent. It was originally 8x10 and I tried metal conduit which fit into the angle kit that came with the tent. While conduit is really strong, it's heavy, too heavy for me...and noisy and cold. 
So long story short, the tent was too big for solo use so I cut it down, sewed it and I now use an angle kit with pine closet poles for the frame. It's stronger than it looks and can be beefed up with temporary supports when needed. If your interested I could give you more info.
Here;s a video with a quick look at the frame and setting it up, with plenty of interior views. (frame is at about 1:55) notice I tie the corners and sides down, that really adds strength and support. You need the right angles when purchasing an angle kit.
https://youtu.be/Fa5mBL9JZS8

Offline jscudds

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 07:22:52 PM »
thanks for all the responses,... The poles turned out to be 3/4 inch or 19mm   (Lucky) so i think i am going to try my luck at using an 3/4 EMT coupler,.. screwing it down and adding a small section to the ends each rafter pole and ridgeline pole.

Offline southcove

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 07:31:16 PM »
Not to discourage you on those connectors, but I found them to have insufficient length to keep the poles from bending. 

I found it was easier and much more resistant to bending to use a PVC sleeve-over that was about 16" long w two simple set screws - my experience anyway.

Offline jscudds

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 08:07:15 PM »
ill keep that in mind and may try both,..

Offline Burgess

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 07:54:23 PM »
Contact woods 1(800) 268-4482 for original pole set maybe.

Offline scoutergriz

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 08:30:47 AM »
sorry to burst your bubble, Josh, but those connectors won't work- they're white metal and will crack under load- I found out the hard way. If the existing poles are 3/4", buy some 1" emt and cut sleeves out of it and attach with self-tapping screws

Offline jscudds

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 05:01:21 PM »
I really appreciate the experience and knowledge .. I have  a buddy just offer to weld the extension peices on the existing frame...  that being said  it still probably won't hold a lot of snow but i plan on using a steep pitched tarp to shed the snow.