View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winter bedroom scene  (Read 370 times)

Offline Bkrgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Winter bedroom scene
« on: November 29, 2017, 03:44:24 PM »
So when I am home this is my full time bedroom ...no walls, no A/C, no heat...full exposure save for the tarp, hammock and down quilts ;D

Great way to learn about your gear, must say. Lowest I have got to so far over the last 3yrs is -28c and that was easy peasy

Kitimat-Stikine B-20171129-04594 by richardktm300, on Flickr
Living warm in North x Northwest BC
IMG-20161030-04037 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Winter bedroom scene
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 07:36:35 PM »
Looks good.... I found that down to -30c things are still quite simple and comfortable... It's bellow that that things start to get interesting if I can say so... And below -45 is an other step in the game too!!

Offline arcticmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 09:42:14 PM »
Nice! I'm sure it feels strange to sleep under a roof again. It's great to listen to the wind, rain, birds and frogs in season.

We move our bed onto the front porch from April till November. Just moved back into the house 2 weeks ago when the temps started getting down to -15C.
Make friends with the wolf, but keep your axe ready.

Offline Undersky

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 10:39:08 PM »
Beautiful set-up, Bkrgi!!

I sure agree with ANDN about things becoming "a new game" at -45C, but I would admit to my game changing at 1 30 being the bigger change.

Biggest issue for me is finding a comfortable way sleep all night while breathing slightly pre-heated air and while not building up too much frost close to my face or inside the top of the bag. Lots of approaches can work OK, but I am still looking for one that works quite well.

Love the clean lines on your tarp, Bkgi. Must be a fine place to wake up in. I imagine I can see the rising sun filtered through your tarp.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 11:45:15 PM »
Yeah the breathing/frost/cold nose is something I never really mastered, I never really tried to master either lol.

Offline Bkrgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 12:36:34 AM »
It is most enjoyable listening to all the noises at night....so long as they don't linger on and on. Have a small stream 100' from my hang spot so that drowns out a lot of background stuff

Its been a long time since I have experienced -30 to -40 but am very curious how well my setup will work.....-45c def is getting into a whole new level
I take my down top quilt and wrap it around my head/face and leave a tiny breathe hole. Snuggled deep in the hammock it provides a bit of a buffer from sucking in deep cold air, but I do have frost build up from doing so (everything comes in the house by day anyways to dry out)
Would have to sleep in till noonish to catch any direct sun by the time it clears the mountains and trees enough, so the white tarp lets you know when daylight at least has sprung...which was my one goal along with blending in with the white scenery.
-2c so far with dampish air frosting things up....make for another great sleep night

Tarp taking some wet snow load back in Oct
Kitimat-Stikine B-20171024-04517 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 07:38:24 AM »
Interesting that you bring the gear in to dry. That would be the biggest benefit of a full time hot tent set up I guess.

My sleeping bag has WP breathable fabric around the face area. I wonder if some of the winter quilt makers could adopt that idea.

Good on you for sleeping outdoors, certainly allows for fine tuning your set up. Is that a silpoly or silnylon tarp?
www.canoepaddler.me.uk for canoe tripping and winter trekking photos and fireboxes

Offline Bkrgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 11:57:19 AM »
Totally right on the Hot Tent setup, is the ability to dry gear. Moisture management is critical especially on longer outings
With hammock quilt makers they do tend to use a wind water resistant breathable fabric. I know the outside of my quilts can get moist and it seems to have little affect on the down inside but I certainly don't want things to stay moist longer term so I do like to dry things by day....if anything just to pull residual dampness out.
I would encourage everyone to maximize backyard testing as much as possible
The white tarp is 2.2oz Hex70 XL ripstop nylon with a PU3000 coating 12' long and XL is extra wide. Is a heavy duty tarp....
Also made a Camo 1.6oz Silpoly PU4000 tarp 13' long for the non snow season
And have 1.1oz silpoly PU4000 material for another 12' tarp for backpacking with......same material as my hot tent setup
Everythings from RSBTR and Thanks to Grandma's Singer 127 treddle sewing machine...things happen

The Camo tarp
Kitimat-Stikine B-20171102-04536 by richardktm300, on Flickr

Offline rbinhood

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 08:08:09 PM »
There is something to be said for just having a thin layer of fabric between you and the outside world. Some of my best nights sleep have been in a tent. You can hear the wind and the leaves in the trees rustling, along with animal sounds. You just feel like you are part of nature, not removed from it by 2x4 walls covered with wood and drywall.

I was in a hunting camp in Wyoming a few years ago when I woke up to a sound outside the tent. There was a loud moan, and then I saw the fabric on the tent bow inwards near my feet, with the bow sliding down towards my face. Unnerved me a bit as we were in grizzly country. The next morning there were fresh moose tracks next to the tent. The cow had lost her calf and she was calling to him in the midst of our tent camp. What a neat feeling to know that cow moose was on the other side of a thin piece of canvas.

I do love my nights in a tent, no matter what the season. In colder weather, the sound of wood crackling in the stove, and the heat it imparts to the tent are a comfort factor all their own. Add in the smell of wood burning and you have described my idea of the perfect bedroom. People who haven't had this experience don't know what they are missing.

Offline southcove

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 09:20:01 PM »
There is something to be said for just having a thin layer of fabric between you and the outside world. Some of my best nights sleep have been in a tent. You can hear the wind and the leaves in the trees rustling, along with animal sounds. You just feel like you are part of nature, not removed from it by 2x4 walls covered with wood and drywall.

I was in a hunting camp in Wyoming a few years ago when I woke up to a sound outside the tent. There was a loud moan, and then I saw the fabric on the tent bow inwards near my feet, with the bow sliding down towards my face. Unnerved me a bit as we were in grizzly country. The next morning there were fresh moose tracks next to the tent. The cow had lost her calf and she was calling to him in the midst of our tent camp. What a neat feeling to know that cow moose was on the other side of a thin piece of canvas.

I do love my nights in a tent, no matter what the season. In colder weather, the sound of wood crackling in the stove, and the heat it imparts to the tent are a comfort factor all their own. Add in the smell of wood burning and you have described my idea of the perfect bedroom. People who haven't had this experience don't know what they are missing.

NICELY SAID!

Offline Bkrgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »
Totally rbinhood

Best wildlife noise I heard while hanging from my deck was when the coyotes decided to help themselves to the KFC buffet next door.
Chicken finger lickin good deal for them it was hahahahhahahhaahahhaahaaa