View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Membership Application Backlog Now Caught Up!  (Read 314 times)

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Membership Application Backlog Now Caught Up!
« on: November 29, 2017, 08:30:16 PM »
Hi folks,
Good news!  I finally finished the screening of all of the approximately 16,000 membership application backlog!  All membership applications that passed the spammer and bot screening have finally been approved with an automatic welcome message email.  My apologies to applicants waiting a long time, some of whom have been patiently waiting for up to a year!   :-[ 

There are about 250 newly approved members who need to activate your account.  For those reading who are not yet members and who have applied, please check your email inbox, and your junk mail folders for your Wintertrekking.com welcome message and request for activation (you have to answer a captcha message).  You must activate your account, as this is a necessary step to bypass the bots. 

If you have accidentally deleted your welcome message and request for account activation, please re-apply and I should have you approved with a new welcome message in one to two days.

The issue of having to wait so long sometimes for approval is that we have thousands of spammers and bots swamping the membership applications, and your legit applications get hidden inside these thousands of names and IP addresses.  The screening and deleting process is a tedious manual method.  I am looking into a software upgrade and the IT company hired is working on it. 

Currently we get several dozen to several hundred spammers and bots applying per day.  If these are not manually screened every day in full, the list soon magnifies into the thousands, and its easy to get backlogged. 

Welcome to all new forum members!  :)

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world.  When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them.  The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them.  That is the underlying principle of Bushcra

Offline mewolf1

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Membership Application Backlog Now Caught Up!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 09:33:19 PM »
Well done HOOP! I can't even imagine. Welcome to the "New" members!!

Offline Undersky

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 10:46:16 PM »
I'll second that statement, mewolf1.

Purpose, persistence, patience, and punch; unbeatable combination, Hoop.

Good on you!

Offline Paul_the_Pike

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
Thanks, I appreciate finally getting the invite. I found the site a year or so ago and have read through much of it. Looking forward to actively participating once I can manage a little free time.

Offline Jeff

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 12:02:11 PM »
Wow...I had no idea it was such an issue...

Thanks for doing what you do...your dedication is appreciated...!

Take care

Jeff

Offline Littlepeter

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 07:07:37 PM »
Nice to be approved! I've been lurking since February.

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 10:52:39 AM »
Nice to be approved! I've been lurking since February.
Welcome Littlepeter to Wintertrekking.com Forums!  Thanks for being patient all those months!  :)
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world.  When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them.  The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them.  That is the underlying principle of Bushcra

Offline GearFreak

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 02:48:31 PM »
It is nice to see & read all the new folks posting - so a hearty welcome to all! 

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"