View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: If you could start over  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: If you could start over
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 09:05:28 PM »
Id have purchased a ti for dog stove right off the bat...id have sold something...or got an extra job and not waited. Love mine now.

I tend to buy quality stuff and overthink every part of what i do, so I dont really have any regrets other than that.

I will say that I won an excellent ice chisel when I was twelve at the snlwmobile races. Made by a local guy. I still haveit. A well designed ice chisel is a must for winter camping, trapping and ice fishing
Used to be the man made the gear, now it seems the gear makes the man...

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 10:01:53 PM »
Yes, Hutchy.

Bill Conly of Wallace Lake, MB showed me that method in the early '80's. After decades of beaver trapping he jokingly figured he'd chopped through a quarter mile of ice! I thought the $10 multi-meter was a pretty neat alternative to messing with undisturbed sets.

There is often something new and effective just waiting to be noticed or tried.

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 01:31:54 AM »
Works good on otter sets that typically sit for a long time. Nice trick.

Offline Undersky

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 10:34:02 AM »
Yes, and for bait sets put further from the lodge to avoid trapping the young ones. Maybe when I retire I will be able to help out an older trapper I know in Nopiming - just as an excuse to be out in the bush :)

Offline 410trailrunner

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 12:17:37 AM »
Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate the feed back and look forward to posting once I get out there...close to home for the first few anyway  ;)
Thanks again.

Offline Hutchy

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 08:29:49 AM »
Yes, and for bait sets put further from the lodge to avoid trapping the young ones. Maybe when I retire I will be able to help out an older trapper I know in Nopiming - just as an excuse to be out in the bush :)

That it is. I am building a cabin this spring on my line. I use snare poles if I do a baited set. I am not sure how to make that work for snare poles. But I bet there is a way. And it is indeed a good excuse to be out in the bush. I put my coy and wolf snare sites purposely a mile or two off any road just so I have to hike in. Netted a zero last night. Oh well. Good night for a walk at eighteen below!

Offline Mike B.

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 08:25:33 AM »
Slam dunk.  I would go right to Aunordunord’s  and Kaifus’ post on how to build a toboggan.  I have built a long birch toboggan, a couple of roll up sleds, and Emsco beast sleds.  Nothing works as well as th ANDN home built sled.
Mike
"You can pay me when you see me again Josie Wales"

Offline chimpac

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 09:07:30 PM »
Quote from reply 5
 of making the transition from cold tent camping to shelter w wood stove to finally my first proper canvas tent w stops along the way involving tarps (sorry Chimpac, didn't work for me)

When did you use my 4 corner peg, 4 corner pole, chimney center pole tarp pitch?