View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: "Complete Guide to Winter Camping" - Kevin Callan's New Book!  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Coldfeet

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: "Complete Guide to Winter Camping" - Kevin Callan's New Book!
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 03:09:32 PM »
Oops meant to write “close to each other” not “lose”. Didn’t see an edit button. Hate typing on my phone

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2018, 04:19:14 PM »
Is it huge trout in the water on your last photo?

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2018, 03:34:36 PM »
I have several of KC's other books, and have enjoyed them a lot, so was looking forward to getting hold of a copy of his winter camping book. Unfortunately over the past week of reading I can only say that I have found it to be a very flawed product, I wasn't expecting perfection, and it is a relatively slim volume, compare it to The Snowwalker's Companion for size, but , sorry Kevin, I don't think it meets your usual high bar.

Firstly there are the typos, misspelled and missing words that change the context of a sentence. Editing is expensive, but if the cost of a human is too much try something like Grammarly to give you a head start towards a polished document. There really is no excuse for this level of errors.

I also found a variety of factual errors. Some were simple descriptive errors that should have been picked up by the editing process, others seemed to be repetition of camping folklore, I don't recall any that would kill you but I don't think it is great for these myths to be perpetuated.

I really like that KC has recruited a variety of seasoned winter campers to contribute to this book, but it would have helped if their contributions had been approached in a consistent manner. Many have their own text box separating them from the rest of the text while others are merged with the rest of the text. This made it very difficult to pick out whose voice was talking and harder to find those contributions as I was flicking through the book looking for a particular item.

Some of the sections that could have done with photos to help explain the text were short on visuals, other sections had photos that neither matched the captions or the subject being discussed.

There seemed to be a heavy emphasis on some subjects while others are treated only lightly. I realise that this is a personal preference but can only wonder about the rationale behind these choices.

If you really are new to winter camping then maybe go ahead and buy this book but to be honest a few careful hours on this site will more than cover the subject matter in this book.

And if you really want to buy a book try this one

https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/out-on-the-land-ray-mears-and-lars-falt.html

Not strictly a winter camping book, it covers canoeing as well, but a book full of joy and wonder alongside some excellent advice about travel in the Boreal forest.
www.canoepaddler.me.uk for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2018, 04:03:23 PM »
Thanks for the review BV. It's unfortunate it contains so many flaws. I just listened to KC's video on the book and it's apparent it was a "rush" job to get it done and published.

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2018, 04:05:58 PM »
Yeah I saw that and was a little bit concerned, maybe there will be a volume two and he can make some changes.
www.canoepaddler.me.uk for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2018, 04:22:28 PM »
BV, you should add the book by Mears to the"Books..." topic section so it does not get lost in this thread.  I like books that weave some history about a topic besides the wealth of information.

-SW
"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez

Online AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2018, 06:01:12 PM »
That is a bit sad that people donT take the time to get a great product out the door, It just seams like it is the trend all over... Or people making thing that are already available i.e. books on the subject of winter camping when there is probably more than you can read, same goes for Youtube video on how to do this and that  when there is already one million on the same topic already out there and the reason for that is people want there part of the $$ It is greed, you do this and you get freebees from companies, you do that and you'll get people to subscribe to your channel.... More  more more... And in the end what people have to do is get the hell out and try things, make small steps and you won't die!!

Online AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2018, 06:32:20 PM »
What I really meant is that a lot of the book/video/blogs on a subject is just a copy and past of some one else book/video or blog!!

Offline into the wind

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2018, 07:12:23 PM »
I agree with BV's opinion on the Mears book. I just got it and am enjoying it.