View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Cordura Moccasins/Booties (Fixed images)  (Read 236 times)

Offline APPaul

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Cordura Moccasins/Booties (Fixed images)
« on: January 04, 2018, 09:19:51 PM »
I made some cordura and nylon moccasins that I thought I would share.

First things first is to give credit to Lure of the North and their printable instructions and Youtube vids. I followed their pattern and it was spot on. Thanks Kie and Dave!

LTN‘s Instructions:
https://lureofthenorth.com/instructional-booklets/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXCBhWgd9uKTT1K61jqVAIA

Why synthetic? I had scrap fabric from other projects, budget, packability and as a practice run before committing $ to leather ones. Also their intent was just as a camp shoe, not for travel. I wanted down booties, but figured why not just make covers for boot liners I am already carrying. So far I love them, they are way more comfortable than boots and a free, unrestricted, non compressed foot is a warm foot. 

I won’t get too much into how I made them because LTN’s instructions explain it better than I could. But here are some pictures showing details and notes….

Cordura does not stretch and mould to your foot like leather ones would, so I oversized them to account for that.

They are water resistant, but I plan to add a thin layer of silicone to the inside bottom to make them better. Standing around a campfire, in wet snow or in the shoulder seasons when the ground is wet, they eventually get damp.

Straight on. Cordura bottoms with nylon top.

Side view

Because cordura would fray around the edge I sewed some bias tape over the pucker. Otherwise the cordura was sewing up exactly as described in LTN’s instructions.

Bias tape and elastic drawstring around top.

Heal.

I added silicone dolops to the bottom for traction. Sap dolops and cat fur added themselves.

I wear a Sorel liner with a DIY wool over sock made from an old wool sweater.

You can see the wool sweater sock a bit better. It's basically the shoulder/armpit with some of the sleeve cut out and sewn into a sock. To orientate it: the toe is from the arm and the bottom of the foot is the shoulder.. Old blue foamy for an insole. The old foamy kinda sucks and compresses quickly and doesn’t dry out quickly so I will add something else.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:28:43 PM by APPaul »

Offline JoDawg

• Supporter
  • Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Cordura Moccasins/Booties (Fixed images)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 09:34:34 PM »
Nice work there! I'm about 1/2 way through my LON moose hide Muks right now and yes the LON instructions are fantastic.

Cheers

Offline Yeoman

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 03:32:29 PM »
Dang! What a great idea. Why didn't I think of that? (slapping myself on the forehead).
Learning: a continuation of the failure process

Offline Moondog55

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 09:47:04 PM »
Fist bump

Offline brianw

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 11:47:56 AM »
Great looking project, APPaul.  Well done.

Now you are all set to get the Lure of the North DIY mukluk kit and make yourself an authentic set.

Cheers

Brian