View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Wiggy luxury sleeping pad ?  (Read 186 times)

Offline sito

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Wiggy luxury sleeping pad ?
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:30:04 PM »
Does anyone use Wiggy luxury sleeping pad?

https://www.wiggys.com/specials/luxurious-ground-pad/

Is it warm?

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Wiggy luxury sleeping pad ?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:07:14 PM »
Its expensive and heavy, at 5+ lbs. I would spend a few more bucks and get an Exped Down or Syn mat, which are very warm, and lighter.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline GearFreak

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • Alpha Whisky Adventures
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 09:12:36 PM »
Its expensive and heavy, at 5+ lbs. I would spend a few more bucks and get an Exped Down or Syn mat, which are very warm, and lighter.
I love my exped downmat 9
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Dr. Seuss - "The Lorax"

Offline koivisto

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:19:34 PM »
Wiggy's looks good but like some of others say a bit heavy. Exped down is some bucks! I use an air and then put closed foam pad on top of the air, inverted from the way most guys do it. It works really well because you don't have to heat up the air mattress with your body heat. On really cold nights I put one of those thin survival blankets on top of my closed foam--makes a bit of noise but I like to be warm!

Offline FrozenCanoe

• Supporter
  • Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 12:13:18 AM »
Ditto on the Exped 9  :)

Offline sito

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 04:42:34 AM »
thanks for the tips guys.

Online AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 11:24:45 AM »
I had one of the first Exped down mat comping to canada, and I went through about 5 of them, I will never buy an other one. all of them ended up leaking and none I could find the leak to fix them, I had to send them back and of course they send me a new one, but when I'm in the bush and the thing start leaking on me I'm not happy... That said, if you are lucky and they stay inflated, they are the most confortable/warm mat out there! But I need reliable!

Offline sito

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 01:17:38 PM »
I had one of the first Exped down mat comping to canada, and I went through about 5 of them, I will never buy an other one. all of them ended up leaking and none I could find the leak to fix them, I had to send them back and of course they send me a new one, but when I'm in the bush and the thing start leaking on me I'm not happy... That said, if you are lucky and they stay inflated, they are the most confortable/warm mat out there! But I need reliable!

I read similar reviews about leaks on Exped down mattress. there is a manufacturing defects that cause air to leak through the plastics.
are you using synthetic mat now? which brand is it?

Offline 300winmag

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 05:50:14 PM »
No mention of an R value.

I use a Thermarest Trail Pro (R4)

If I expect sub zero temps I put a full length Ridgerest closed cell mat (R2.3) under it.
That combo is over R6 and with a stamped snow base will be fine.

My bag is an LL Bean -20 F. down bag. It's big enough I can get a puffy jacket and pants inside to get warmth at close to -40 F. (-28 F. is the coldest I've slept in.)

Eric B.

Online AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 12:31:03 AM »

I read similar reviews about leaks on Exped down mattress. there is a manufacturing defects that cause air to leak through the plastics.
are you using synthetic mat now? which brand is it?

I heave this one, and love it... In the winter I put a layer of "reflectix" on the bottom and that thing is the best mattress I had in a long time.That said it is a bit bulky and heavy, but the sleep I get from it is worth the extra bulk and weight!!https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5045-942/NeoAir-Dream-Sleeping-Pad

Offline sito

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 03:41:33 PM »
I went to MEC to buy thermarest mondo king 3D. It supposed to be a thick mattress. R value 11