View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Portable fishing shelter  (Read 245 times)

Offline wingnut

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Portable fishing shelter
« on: January 12, 2018, 09:10:14 AM »
Have been thinking of sewing a lightweight portable shelter for fishing for quite a while. The popup hub shelters are too heavy and bulky. This year I bought the material. 10 Yds of 300 Denier polyester with a coating on the inside to totally block out light. I need this for sight fishing in shallow water. The design I've settled on is a very basic two hoop structure, 6o"x60" square, 60" tall. Being a newbie with a sewing machine I chose those dimensions because of the roll material coming in 60" width's. I bought .430 aluminum poles to use for the hoops. I plan to use sleeves, fastened on the outside at the flat felled seams at each end of the structure to insert the hoops into. Vestibules at the ends would be nice but For one person I really don't need any more room and they would complicate the build. To hold the shelter in place, I'm thinking of using loops sewed in the flat felled seam that I can attach guy lines to, about midway up the hoop. To finish off the bottom I plan to add a 12" sod cloth for piling snow on, to keep the wind and the light out as well. Before I start, I wanted to get some opinions and constructive comments from the members here because many of you have experience sewing shelters and other homemade gear. Thanks for your comments

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
Re: Portable fishing shelter
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 09:26:48 AM »
Hi,

Just one comment, I would think about hooks rather than sleeves to attach the shelter to the poles. In my experience sleeves are a pain to use in cold weather as they require some finger dexterity, can freeze in place and the shock-corded poles tend to separate when you are pulling the poles out, which makes them difficult to get out of the sleeves. I use a tent with sleeves and I have taken to leaving the poles in the sleaves and just rolling it into a long roll, which is also an option I guess.

Most modern tents I have seen use a type of flexible hook spaced at a suitable interval to attach the tent to the frame.

Good luck with your project.

Kinguq.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:06:54 AM by kinguq »

Offline wingnut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 11:39:49 AM »
 I thought about using clips like this http://www.questoutfitters.com/Tent_Poles_Parts.htm#TENT CLIP.   But I ended up going with larger poles than these clips can handle. Let me know If you Know of a source for clips that can go on a .430 pole. It's going to hard enough for me to sew the edges with a flat felled seam on a round structure without adding the sleeves.

Offline wingnut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 12:09:33 PM »
I did find some larger clips on Ebay.  Another option might be to sew in loops. Clips would easier than threading the pole through the loops but the clips could break in the cold.

Offline kinguq

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • Det finnes ikke darlig vaer, bare darlig klaer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 01:03:37 PM »
Maybe velcro loops? Or a snap fastener of some kind?

Kinguq.

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 05:58:39 PM »
Why not put your hoops inside the shelter, instead of outside, like Snowtrekker does with their tents? That way, the roof and sides hold the hoops in place, and you could add a couple of small Velcro tabs on either side to go around the hoop, to keep it from slipping. Make shallow pockets at the bottom for the ends of the hoops to slip into. Just slip each end of the hoop into the pocket, and push the hoop into place at the roof.

Send pics when done, please.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline wingnut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 08:28:45 PM »
Hoops on the inside makes sense pushing out to support the structure. I had thought about it before and thought I might put a spreader pole down the center to push the hoops against the sides too. I changed to supporting from the outside because I thought it might be easier to set up from the outside. You are probably able to set up the frame for your Snowtrecker then pull the canvas over the frame. That's how I set up my wall tent.  It seems like the wind is always blowing on the Ice making it a bear to work with loose material.With the hoops on the outside I think I could insert the pole through the loops, then into pockets on the bottom like you described and tension two of the guy lines right away to hold up the first side. Repeating for the opposite side. I could still add the center spreader if it needs it.

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 09:44:52 PM »
Why this style from Lake Superior have never caught on is beyond me, but I've used them ever since I found them. These can be made smaller and lighter for our purpose of hauling.

They can sight fish in 25+' of water on Superior and is why dark canvas is used.

Offline wingnut

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 10:23:56 AM »
 The Tipi sure looks like a good basic design. Tall enough for my hook set's and I've heard the design is great in the wind too. It looks like the top has a small flat on it. Is this some kind of hub to slip the poles into? What are the dimensions on your shelter. You probably set up your pole frame then pull the shelter on over the top. Do you have a problem with the legs wanting to spread out on you before you get them attached to the canvas?

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 11:24:02 AM »
The one I built and copied is attached to the cover and actually needs "spreader bars" to keep it from closing in. The top plate is a 6" circle and the 2x2's have 4 hinges connecting them to the top plate.
A friend of mine cut his 2x2's in half and made sockets with pvc pipe. there is a slit at the socket points so he can reach though. Smaller than 2x2 could be used to lighten the load.

This one is more to what you're thinking with the cover not attached. Perhaps cutting poles at camp could save hauling?
http://www.indiancountrysports.com/icefishingteepee.php

Offline rbinhood

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 12:06:22 PM »
Trust me, and as others have noted, trying to slide a long segmented and shock corded pole through an outside sleeve will be a royal PITA, and trying to get it back out, when your pole sections want to disconnect, will not be any fun, either. If anything, go with the plastic clips if you go with outside poles. Nowadays, they can formulate plastics that work in all kinds of weather conditions.
"Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify."
Henry David  Thoreau

Offline wingnut

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 01:24:04 PM »
   The Tipi at 5x5 6.5' tall doesn't leave much room when your sitting on a bucket. I had some thoughts about trying to get the poles back out of the sleeves too. I think i'll drop the sleeves and go with clips.
  What problems do you think I'll run into sewing a flat felled seam on the curved walls. Do any of you use seam stick tape or do you pin things together then sew up to the pins?

Online AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 05:12:38 PM »
Trust me, and as others have noted, trying to slide a long segmented and shock corded pole through an outside sleeve will be a royal PITA, and trying to get it back out, when your pole sections want to disconnect, will not be any fun, either. If anything, go with the plastic clips if you go with outside poles. Nowadays, they can formulate plastics that work in all kinds of weather conditions.

The problem with all commercially made tents that use sleeves is that the sleeves are to small and most of the time the fabric is coated and it makes it grippy. If you would make them over sized, and of a non coated fabric it wouldn't be a issue!!

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 05:50:34 PM »
I have dome style ice tents. The trick is to get ALL of the fabric slid on to one section first, or, as others have said, the poles want to come apart. A royal PITA. 5x5 is too small; mine is 7x7 at the base and two can fish pan fish easily. For one person you can cross their eyes. ;)