View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Berwyn Bindings??  (Read 1939 times)

Offline dlpwaters

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Berwyn Bindings??
« on: January 12, 2010, 07:50:20 pm »
Hi folks,
I do some biology field work in March, and love (need) to use my backcountry gear to get into remote research locations.  I'd love to get a pair of Berwyn bindings to use with my muks so I don't have to deal with changing boots to use my snowshoes once I reach my research site.

Problem is, I don't know where to buy them!?  I can't find a retailer online.  Any help would be appreciated.  I'm located in Duluth, Minnesota.
Thanks!
Debbie

Offline Inabell

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: Berwyn Bindings??
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 08:26:19 pm »

Offline into the wind

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 09:48:19 pm »
Piragis in Ely always used to carry them. Give them a call.

Offline dlpwaters

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 10:45:21 pm »
Thanks! 

Offline mattmayhem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 03:18:15 pm »
Interesting bindings...are they for pac boots or only mukluks? Is this strictly for cross country skiing?

Offline Happy Camper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 05:54:42 pm »
I should preface this by explaining that my experience outside of the berwin bindings is very limited. Having said that- the Akers folks that made my bindings say that they work with any winter boot with some flexibility in the sole. I have only used them with mukluks. I have both Steger Yukons and ECW True North boots. My heel slid around alot in the Stegers. With the ability to cinch down the ECW boots they are the only ones I use with the berwin bindings, and they work beautifully (these are my go-to boots for everything winter camping). As far as skiing usage I would qualify the binding performance as "sloppy". There is not alot of torsional stability for turns or snowplowing, but for rolling backcountry terrain there is nothing like switching from snowshoes to skis without a change of footwear. Plus, no matter the temp. my feet are always warm.

I have them set up with Karhu XCD GT's that are a heavier XC ski and at 200lbs naked I take a large ski. Others with lighter, smaller skis may have a more responsive experience than I do.

Offline Fels

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 11:06:44 pm »
If you are in the Twin Cities, Midwest Mountaineering carries them.

I used the Berwins on borrowed skis once in the BWCA and was pleasantly surprised with their performance.

Offline mattmayhem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 07:50:43 am »
I'm not a good skier anyways so I can't make use of much extra performance anyways! That said I do like warm feet and it would be nice to wear my pac boots for longer trips, my 80iers vintage xcountry boots get chilly after an hour or so even with good socks.

I think the cdn army uses these bindings...I wonder if they could be had from one of the surplus stores?

Offline Ranger From the North

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Park Ranger/Wilderness Medical Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Backcountry Trail Patrol
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 11:52:03 pm »
Before I started wearing mukluks, I used Berwyn/Sherpa bindings with pac boots all the time. Same concept; very soft sole, heavy felt inner lining and heavy socks. It worked very well.

Hans
"My country isn't a country, it is winter" - Gilles Vigneault