View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: wide short siberian skis  (Read 22069 times)

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Retired Park Ranger/Wilderness Medical Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Backcountry Trail Patrol
Re: wide short siberian skis
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 09:35:21 pm »
Trak was a part of Karhu and Karhu was eliminated by their new parent, Madshus, over the past summer. The Bushwacker and it's stablemate, the Karhu Catamount/Orion were what Scandinavians call "forest" skis. Karhu made a "Jakt" (Hunt) model, too, up until last year. "Approach" skis are similar, but not really the same. Asnes makes a military ski, called the "Combat" that is wide like the Bushwacker/Orion, but is only available from Neptune Mountaineering in Colorado...for a price. They don't make their Jakt any more. Look at the Rossignol BC 90; 88mm wide at the shovel. (The Bushwacker was 85mm) with full metal edges, like the Orion and 10th Mountain Tour. Available in 10cm increments from 159 to 189cm.

I want to evaluate the Whitewoods Titan or Whitetail. Same size as my 20-year-old Karhu 10th Mtn. Tours, that are getting old and flat.

I say, "Bring back the Bear!"

Ski safe,
Hans
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:39:07 pm by Trailpatrol »
"My country isn't a country, it is winter" - Gilles Vigneault

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Retired Park Ranger/Wilderness Medical Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Backcountry Trail Patrol
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 10:36:28 pm »
Update on Karhu: The Karhu Ski site is back up, fully updated, and in Finnish only...for now. They are making and selling skis, including the Jakt, in Finland again. Now, to just figure out how to get them over here. Karhu CEO, responding to an e-mail on my behalf from Tim Akers (Berwin Bindings), says no skis in US this season or next, but no comment on later years. I would guess it probably has something to do with their non-compete agreement with Madshus/K2. Any ideas?

http://www.karhuskiing.fi/

Hans
"My country isn't a country, it is winter" - Gilles Vigneault

Offline Goski

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 05:09:37 pm »
Recently I stumbled upon a very interesting documentary on Youtube.  I was able to find it only in original (Russian) version, which is of no help to most of users of this forum.  But even just seeing it could be very worthwhile to anybody interested in hunting. fishing, and northern bushcraft in general.  There is also some 10 min in it on manufacturing of traditional ski.

The title is "Schastlivye lyudi" (Happy People) and it is about life of some remote settlement in central Siberia on Yenisei river.  As this film was awarded at some international festivals, it is possible that copies with English subtitles do exist somewhere.  Regardless, very interesting. 

Back to ski making, here are some hints extracted from this movie ( my Russian is somewhat limited, so I might have missed something):
- wood to use is fir, the most important feature is straight grain and absence of even smallest knots.
- the plank is split from the centre of a log in April, when still frozen.
- After some drying it is further hewn and planed in summer to a thickness of several mm.
- Length seems to be ~1.5 m (5'), width ~ 6"- 8".
- After hewing and planing it is tested by a man standing on it in its center with both ends supported. The plank has to carry man's weight without cracking, of course.
- Then comes steam bending of a tip.  Important: to shape the tip after, not before bending.  then hardening/sealing of the wood over hot open fire.

There was no remark on covering the ski runner with some hide, although this was visible when ski was used in winter.  Binding looked like a rawhide strip, just like any traditional snowshoe.

Enjoy the movie.

Offline awbrown: N. Illinois, USA

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 11:05:58 pm »
Here's the link in English. Really neat documentary.

Happy People -- A year in Taiga. Werner Herzog
I love winter......I don't look fat in wool!

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 08:36:21 pm »
Thanks awbrown for posting this documentary. I really enjoyed it.  It's amazing the amount of bushcraft portrayed in this film. Particularly how much you can do with just an axe, Knife, and wedge. 
"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 11:55:46 pm »
Here's the link in English. Really neat documentary.

Happy People -- A year in Taiga. Werner Herzog

Hi Awbrown,

Yes that is a superb film!  We had previously posted that link with some responses here:  http://www.wintertrekking.com/community/index.php?topic=1699.0, and many people have enjoyed it, so you might be interested in some of the responses in that thread too.   :)
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline SnowTrekker7

• Coming in From the Cold
  • When its cold and white, I'm there !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 11:20:49 pm »
  If anyone is still interested in the Siberian Hunter Skis or similar here are a few places to look;
1) Youtube, Survival Russia channel. Lars has a pair he bought locally in Russia. You'll need someone who can read and write Russian to order them, however, they would be the least expensive. Exchange rates being what they are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAW1ZigYVQU

2) Marquette, an American company makes a snowshoe ski, similar to the Siberian hunter ski; https://marquette-backcountry.com/products/backcountry-ski.

3) HOKS by Altaiski, http://ca-store.altaiskis.com/ Available in two lengths, depending on size and weight;

3) Lastly, OAC of Finland makes an alternative to snowshoes. They are available from MEC in Canada. https://www.mec.ca/en/search?text=OAC+Skis&org_text=oac

Hope this helps.
J

Offline trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 07:21:51 am »
I've contacted the Lars source. Received a quick reply asking for my details which I responded to. Then nothing. I've sent another e-mail with zero result. And then another. Ditto.

I posted the above in Lars's comment section. Others have had the same problem. Lars said he would look into it .....

Love my Hoks. I got the 125's because I want a snowshoe ski and not a ski snowshoe. The 125's are already plenty long when going through bush.

If you buy a pair, beware of the bindings. There is no standard length for the back strap. Of the two pairs I purchased, one ski had a back binding that would not even fit around my wife's boots. The company was useless in helping. The store owner actually took a binding off of his own Hoks and put it on my wife's.

Great skis in the cold. 100% useless if the snow is wet. A giant ball of snow forms on the skins and you cannot travel with them.

I had checked the Marquettes but decided on the Hoks. Ski width, weight, and all plastic are the reasons I remember. A local store also had the Hoks in stock.

Would love a pair of hunter skis. I use my Hoks several times a week and rarely use snowshoes now. It is less work skiing and makes for a nice trail. The more often you use that trail, the more you glide and the faster you go.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 10:03:19 am »
I've contacted the Lars source. Received a quick reply asking for my details which I responded to. Then nothing. I've sent another e-mail with zero result. And then another. Ditto.

I posted the above in Lars's comment section. Others have had the same problem. Lars said he would look into it .....

Love my Hoks. I got the 125's because I want a snowshoe ski and not a ski snowshoe. The 125's are already plenty long when going through bush.

If you buy a pair, beware of the bindings. There is no standard length for the back strap. Of the two pairs I purchased, one ski had a back binding that would not even fit around my wife's boots. The company was useless in helping. The store owner actually took a binding off of his own Hoks and put it on my wife's.

Great skis in the cold. 100% useless if the snow is wet. A giant ball of snow forms on the skins and you cannot travel with them.

I had checked the Marquettes but decided on the Hoks. Ski width, weight, and all plastic are the reasons I remember. A local store also had the Hoks in stock.

Would love a pair of hunter skis. I use my Hoks several times a week and rarely use snowshoes now. It is less work skiing and makes for a nice trail. The more often you use that trail, the more you glide and the faster you go.

Skins in the wet snow need to be treated for the wet snow, there is 2 kind of products you can buy, either a solid form you rub on or a liquid form and both work!!

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 10:34:23 am »
The bottom line here is the same as the post that said, "There is no such thing as a four-season sleeping bag."  The same is true with back-country skis:  no one ski will do it all.  Hoop, or someone, mentioned that if you are pulling a sled or tobaggon in deeper snow, it is nice to have a float track to pull your load in.  You don't get that with skis - you use snow shoes.  Other than those California longboards (www.woodenskis.com), there is no ski that will really float you in deep, soft snow, let alone a ski that will let you get some "kick and glide" too.  Lare

Offline h_t

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2017, 12:51:34 pm »

As I mentioned before Russian service is sh1t. Trust me, I know, I am Russian :)
I tried to help bioguide ordering a pair of those through a store in Moscow (not directly from the manufacturer) and failed.
If anyone still wanted to get those, I could probably help.
There are a few ski manufacturers in Russia and the user base and number of reviews (or rather opinions :) ) of them is astonishing.

trapmusher, r u in Quebec? I have a feeling we spoke...

Offline kiggy

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2017, 01:04:55 pm »
http://tropa42.ru/english they ship now overseas.
I am looking to buy winter boots Ichigi from them

Offline trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2017, 07:29:49 pm »

As I mentioned before Russian service is sh1t. Trust me, I know, I am Russian :)

trapmusher, r u in Quebec? I have a feeling we spoke...

If you used a wolf trapper as reference for a Russian magazine article you were writing, we might have!

Offline trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2017, 07:55:04 pm »
I would not want to be swinging an axe or using a chainsaw while wearing my Hoks. But it isn't a problem wearing my bear paws. It's all about stability.

But for travelling, especially travelling the same trail daily, Hoks are tough to beat.

The Siberian hunter skis interest me for one reason in particular. They slip off the foot. That isn't the case with snowshoes. It is an important consideration when on ice - especially around beaver huts.

Offline Bioguide

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2017, 08:05:10 pm »
I would not want to be swinging an axe or using a chainsaw while wearing my Hoks. But it isn't a problem wearing my bear paws. It's all about stability.

But for travelling, especially travelling the same trail daily, Hoks are tough to beat.

The Siberian hunter skis interest me for one reason in particular. They slip off the foot. That isn't the case with snowshoes. It is an important consideration when on ice - especially around beaver huts.

I never liked the Hoks. I'm sure it was just me but I was more often trying to gain control and/or off my skis in the snow trying to get back up on them. The only saving grace was the Tiak pole they are rock solid and far better than ski poles IMO. Without the Tiak pole I'd still be trying to get up.