View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: wide short siberian skis  (Read 22073 times)

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: wide short siberian skis
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2017, 02:08:42 am »
I would not want to be swinging an axe or using a chainsaw while wearing my Hoks. But it isn't a problem wearing my bear paws. It's all about stability.

But for travelling, especially travelling the same trail daily, Hoks are tough to beat.

The Siberian hunter skis interest me for one reason in particular. They slip off the foot. That isn't the case with snowshoes. It is an important consideration when on ice - especially around beaver huts.

I can take my snowshoes off w/o my hands and I can put them on w/o my hands too!!

I think the ultimate bush ski would be of the Siberian style, 6 feet tall 8 inches wide, with no hands on off bindings.

And so far the only ski of that type are the one made in Siberia, the HOK are ok, but really not good or great at anything, too short and too narrow to be a good replacement over snowshoes, at my weight at least. Bioguide design os some what appealing, but I think they are too short for me.

I guess I will have to keep with what I have lol!

Offline trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2017, 10:08:36 pm »
I guess I like the Hoks because I don't have any other bush skis to compare them to.  All I know is cross country and Hoks.

I'd like to see how hands-free snow shoe bindings work. I'd also like to know how good they are in the alders or when you are busting through willow tops or hummocks.

I Don't really plan on just being happy with what I have. More toys, please! If the price isn't crazy, I'm getting siberian hunter skis and boots.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2017, 01:52:32 am »
Lamp wick with an indian hitch and I can put them on and take them off in seconds. Up here we don't have much for snow so we are always into willows and shit.... The only place where I dont find them great is at side hilling... The rest is all good!!

Offline Bothwell Voyageur

• Vendor - Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • CanoePaddler
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2017, 10:52:35 am »
Lamp wick with an indian hitch and I can put them on and take them off in seconds. Up here we don't have much for snow so we are always into willows and shit.... The only place where I dont find them great is at side hilling... The rest is all good!!

From Lure of the North

https://youtu.be/FE_WovKtP_s

www.canoepaddler.net for custom made gear and fireboxes

Offline trapmusher

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2017, 11:18:27 am »

From Lure of the North

Very cool. Thanks.

I can see the use of such a mehod. However, I wonder how they work in deep snow with obstacles that require fancy footwork.

The fishing line snowshoes are great in that you have no stretch in wet conditions. But they are extremely slippery on any type of crust. Been there, done that.

Offline mewolf1

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2017, 12:25:00 pm »

From Lure of the North

Very cool. Thanks.

I can see the use of such a mehod. However, I wonder how they work in deep snow with obstacles that require fancy footwork.

The fishing line snowshoes are great in that you have no stretch in wet conditions. But they are extremely slippery on any type of crust. Been there, done that.

These folks have been doing just that for a long time. Can't say much for their stove jack. :)
http://www.nametauinnu.ca/en/nomad/detail/32/36

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2017, 10:08:56 pm »

From Lure of the North

I've use that binding system for a long time in all sort of conditions, and never had a problem other than steep sidehills... All the rest is all good!!

Very cool. Thanks.

Offline AunNordDuNord

• Supporter
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2017, 10:09:27 pm »

From Lure of the North

Thank you BV