View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Wither Karhu  (Read 5345 times)

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Retired Park Ranger/Wilderness Medical Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Backcountry Trail Patrol
Wither Karhu
« on: October 21, 2010, 12:03:38 am »
This is disgusting: "PLEASE NOTE: K2 Sports, owner of both Madshus Skis & Karhu Skis, has discontinued the Karhu XCD product line and is now producing them as Madshus backcountry skis. The former Karhu XCD 10th Mountain skis are now the Madshus Epoch skis. Only the branding and artwork are new, otherwise they are exactly the same." (From ORS)

I have skied Trak/Karhu for 40 years. They closed down the brand; They lost me as a customer.

Think snow!
Hans
"My country isn't a country, it is winter" - Gilles Vigneault

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Wither Karhu
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 07:13:34 am »
Wow....that is really bizarre, and sad news.  Karhu was one of the originals, and had great products over the years, and great brand recognition, and brand loyalty.  I thought they would be around forever, due to their niche that they carved and earned.    When Karhu closed down their North American manufacturing and went to China a few years ago, I had a bad feeling about that.  

I have 2 pairs of their venerable Orions, (which I think was an update of the the old Catamounts).  

Madshus have a great reputation for the narrower BC skis, including high quality wood core construction.  But I am not aware they had any wider snow floating/trekking skis.  They are of course a racing ski manufacturer too, and I always worry when the flashy racing culture runs the back country part of an outfit.  We'll see what they come up with for new models.  I have some research to do.

Thanks for that update Hans.  
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:50:18 am by HOOP »
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Tomd

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Law Office of Thomas L. Difloure
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 06:16:11 pm »
Not too surprising. Here is a history of K2. It hasn't been the original company for years and now is a conglomerate that owns many brands. I don't see Karhu on the list, maybe it was removed already.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K2_Sports

It looks like the Karhu company in Finland is still in business making shoes and skis. Maybe K2 just had the North American rights to the name and closed the brand to prevent confusion or because of a conflict with the original Karhu in Finland. Could have been a trademark issue.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 06:24:18 pm by Tomd »

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 09:00:01 pm »
Okay, the original Karhu, in Finland, makes what looks like a great "Forest Ski", the Jakt BC,
160cm long by 108mm wide, no-wax base...basically the old Trak Bushwacker. Not sold in the USA or Canada. How do we go about changing that?

Hans

Offline Beep

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 12:31:49 pm »
Okay, the original Karhu, in Finland, makes what looks like a great "Forest Ski", the Jakt BC,
160cm long by 108mm wide, no-wax base...basically the old Trak Bushwacker. Not sold in the USA or Canada. How do we go about changing that?

Hans

ROADTRIP!!!! :D
Most people are pantywaists. Exercise is good for you. - Grandma Gatewood

Offline whitemtskier

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 04:38:16 pm »
have 2 pairs of their venerable Orions, (which I think was an update of the the old Catamounts).

yep. Both 85/70/80. Had to go check in the barn..have both.

Dont see anything in the Madshus 09/10 catalog that even comes close.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 04:42:04 pm by whitemtskier »

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 04:35:34 pm »
I am starting a new campaign: BRING BACK THE BEAR!

(For those who don't know, "Karhu" is Finnish for "bear".)

And not, the trendy, Telemarky, be-like-everyone-else for-the-almighty-buck Karhu either. We want the real deal! The Karhu with the best backcountry travel skis in the world.

BRING BACK THE BEAR!

Think snow!
Hans

Offline Clovishunter

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 08:25:36 pm »
And just in case you didn't know K2 also owns Tubbs snowshoes now, booo bad K2 bad!

Online yardsale

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 06:39:44 am »
Madshus has a new ski out that appears to have Karhu characteristics. The Annum has a 109/78/95 profile and a no wax base. Should be floaty and turny.  Don't know what the flex pattern is. Saw the ad in the current issue of Backcountry.

Offline Tomd

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Law Office of Thomas L. Difloure
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 05:33:06 pm »
And just in case you didn't know K2 also owns Tubbs snowshoes now, booo bad K2 bad!

They also own Atlas snowshoes, plus a dozen or so other companies making all kinds of outdoor products-skis, clothing, fishing gear, team sports gear. One of the bigger conglomerates in the sporting goods business. These companies operate as independent companies with common ownership interest by the parent company.

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 10:26:12 pm »
Madshus has a new ski out that appears to have Karhu characteristics. The Annum has a 109/78/95 profile and a no wax base. Should be floaty and turny.  Don't know what the flex pattern is. Saw the ad in the current issue of Backcountry.

I don't care. BRING BACK THE BEAR!

Hans