View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Ice Hut  (Read 7009 times)

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Ice Hut
« on: September 14, 2008, 04:04:16 pm »
Does anybody bring an ice hut?
Colder is better

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Ice Hut
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 09:47:52 pm »
Hi Rob,

Self -propelled man hauling sleds/toboggans, it would be impossible to haul in one of those pop up shelters/huts.   The dedicated sleds they are in are heavy plastic – much heavier than a home made or commercial plastic trekking toboggan.  And the weight of winter camping gear, especially hot tent gear, would not allow the extra weight of those pop-up ice hut/shelters.

However, if you are going winter camping via snowmobile, then obviously the new pop up shelters/huts are designed into cargo sleds.  You could rig a gear sled and hut sled in tandem with your machine, and away you go. 

I have an idea in my head for an ultralight tripod tarp shelter for solo fishing, via self-propelled trekking.  It would be a tripod, cut from poles in the bush, with a tarp rig that is open on the downwind side.  It would have quick clips to wrap around the tripod.    With your shovel or snowshoe, you could bank the bottom of the shelter to keep the wind out.   

We need someone with designer talent to draw out plans for an ice fishing tarp to rig on a tripod.   If someone could send me some plans, I know a canvas shop here that can cut and sew anything.
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 10:25:50 pm »
here's something that has worked in the past.

Old, small, tent
cut a large hole in the floor and voila!
cheap, quick ice shelter.... cut your holes first and put the tent over it.

Well, it worked until the poles snapped.
IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi

Offline dbell59

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 06:14:42 am »
Does anybody bring an ice hut?

Hi Rob, till next year when I can afford a Snowtreker tent and stove set up this is what I use for warm winter camping.

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24935

You can buy the tent from Sears.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 06:16:16 am by dbell59 »
" In the woods the silent watcher sees the most" Unknown author

Offline crooked knife

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 08:09:39 am »
Most of my winter camping trips revolve around hunting/fishing and being able to fish in comfort makes you a LOT more productive.  So I haul out a fishing shelter most trips, but not any kind you can get just anywhere.  There is a local sect of ice fishermen around the Chequamegon Bay area out in the Apostle Islands that have come up with some real unique styles of shelters that are made locally.  One of the challenges of fishing this area is the distance and unique ice conditions Lake Superior has.  When you've got to head as far as 25 miles onto Lake Superior ice the lighter you can get your snow machine the better and the less you have to pull behind you the better.  So the Mackie Tent was born.  You can just strap it to the back of a snowmachine so if you have to cross open leads of water that sometimes pop up you don't have to worry about the extra drag the fishing shelters (more like giant bricks) cause.  Plus the snow machine can just be driven into the back of your pick up truck and there isn't any fishing "brick" to worry about. 

The mackie tent is basically a 6 sided mini 6 foot diameter wall tent.  It has 6 1X2 poles that have steel cleats facing in and the top pops up similiar to an umbrella.  The tent is just over 6 feet tall when open and since it folds down is only 6 feet when folded up and a foot round or less.  It probably weighs around 20 pounds.  The way it works is you show up to your spot, take out the ice chisel and chisel 6 little holes for the legs and put them in.  You walk around the shelter and kick the cleats into the ice.  As you pop the shelter open the cleats dig in and compress into the ice and lock in.  I've been out in some SERIOUS wind in these shelters and they dont go ANYWHERE.  The nice thing about the mackie tents are that they fit on top of a toboggan perfectly.  Granted, it's a little bit bulky and does take up some space, but when you're out in the bush traveling around great fishing grounds, I don't know how you wouldn't want to spend time in comfort nailing the lake trout.  They are pretty tough too.  It has a nice canvas cover and can take a lot of punishment.  You could easily modify them to have a small wood stove if you wanted.  But I have a 5 pound propane tank with a mr heater that I turn on when it's seriously cold.  But when I'm out winter camping I'll just bring in a white gas camp stove.  Not too much extra weight.

Here are some pictures.  I don't have very many good pictures.  This winter I'll take some more photos.  Also you can see my Komatik.

Offline lonegreeneagle

• Hauling Sled
  • Me at my personal BEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 03:34:06 am »
                 hello Crazy Fishermen  and woman!,
      I have a friend that breaks off at encampment in the wee hours for fishing back in Montana. He stays traditional until he pulls out his

PRIVVY tent.

It's a colapsing privvy/shower tent. it folds down to the size of a windshield cover(summer sun reflector). He packs it in, in a 5 gallon bucket with padded lid. It's inside the bucket with his pole and bait I guess?!  It's not warm, but it blocks the wind, he can stand up, and he only has to heat a small space. OUTBACK Porta-Privy!
       He fishes from the water hole and most of the guys don't even wonder why they don't have to break ice to get water. Of course the way some sleep, its a wonder there is any ice left!                  just an idea?!?!?!?!
                                          Van
Avid outdoorsman? My son and I snowshoe and winter camp with a four season tent and no stove. When my daughter comes along we drag sleds holding the campfire style tent I made and my military style Yukon stove. We canoe and kayak long trips in the early spring till Thanksgiving. That's my son's and my last float of the canoe season as we celebrate his birthday.  My daughter more than my son loves climbing. My sore neck!
Along with the tent, I've made packs,paddles and the poor man's RV from an 18' boat trailer. It now carries our canoes, kayaks, mountain bikes, camping ger and the TeePee pole