View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winter Boots- what do you use  (Read 73956 times)

Offline White Wolf

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Winter Boots- what do you use
« on: September 19, 2008, 05:03:55 pm »
Hey all

Looking at getting a new set of winter boots. And the Sorel Conquest look like the ones I want. Just wonder if anyone has these and what they think of them. Bad part have to drive 2.5 hours to Winnipeg to even look at them and to size them.

Or what are you wearing

Should say I would be using them for snowshoeing and around the winter camp

Jeff

Offline tonycc

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Boots- what do you use
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 10:42:05 pm »
These boots do not have a removable liner.  Unless you have feet which do not perspire, or you wear vapor barrier socks, you will have frozen boots in the morning.  I much prefer removable liners.  This allows you to dry the liners at night, or replace the liners with back up liners should you fall through the ice or deep slush.

My current boots are the Sorel Caribou.  I have added a felt insole for that little extra insulation from the cold ground.  Very warm and comfortable.

Tony

Offline Scott

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 09:57:39 am »
Jeff,

For daily winter activities (shovelling the driveway, walking the dog, etc) I wear the Sorel Caribou.  I have also used this boot for winter camping and snowshoeing although it's really heavy.  As Tony mentioned, the removable liners are a must. 

For winter camping snowshoe trips I got a pair of Steger Mukluks (Arctic model) last year and they have been great.  I also bring a pair of insulated rubber boots that I wear if the temps get too warm and for quick forays around camp when the Stegers are hanging on the clothesline of the hot tent.

Scott 

Offline White Wolf

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:23:52 pm »
Scott & Tony
Thanks for the responses. DID NOT see the part about non removable liners when I read the boot description. That alone knocks them out of the running. Trying to get frozen boots on is almost impossible!!! (don't ask me how I know this)

I do like the Steger Mukluks  very nice and the price isn't to bad at all. May have to look into them more and even the Sorel Caribous

Offline Jack Pine Savage

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 09:55:18 pm »
You may also want to consider True North Boots made by Empire Canvas Works. I bought a pair of Steger's and a pair of the True North boots near the end of last winter. I didn't get a lot of time in either, but so far I prefer the True North boots from Empire Canvas Works.

Offline Scott

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 09:33:06 am »
Hi Jack Pine, and welcome to the forum. 

Maybe you can post some pics of your Empire boots?  I have a pair of True North mitts and these, along with other Empire items I have seen, are really top notch.  I looked at the boots and thought they looked great but in the end went with the Stegers.   
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:34:50 am by scott_killarney »

Offline Jack Pine Savage

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 02:41:42 pm »
I also have an anorak and a field coat from Empire Canvas Works and I agree with you - their stuff is very well designed and made to last.

As far as photos of the True North boots go, I'm getting ready to leave for Europe and don't really have time (or the ability) to take better images than the image on Empire's website. The main reason I prefer them to Stegers so far is that it is possible to adjust the fit much better due to their construction and lace design. They feature (easy compared to my Stegers) removable liners, also.

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 12:54:15 am »
If you are going with the Sorel type boot in any brand, please be aware that most of the models do not have a removable insulated “midsole, which is a removable foot bed insulator (what we usually call “insoles”).   Some do have removable cushion type insoles, but these do not insulate well.  The thick, removable insulated insole underneath the removable liner makes all the difference.  I and all my winter camping buddies use these type of boots.   In a rigid rubber lower boot, much of the heat will be lost through the sole.   A moccasin or mukluk is another dynamic altogether, where the flexibility of your toes and feet generate more heat, and you can get away with less insulation underfoot, but I still recommend thick insole insulation in those too.

The Sorel caribou models, last time I checked, do not have the thick removable insole.  Let me know if I have this wrong, but from their website, it’s only the Glacier that has this.  Their old Trapper and Chieftain models also had the insole, but sadly, both are no longer made.  (I think the old Trapper model was THE finest pack boot ever made – I have a pair – should have bought several and stored them).   One of my buddies uses the Glacier, and another buddy bought a similar model with thick insole in the last line of Acton boots ever made – a really fine boot.

You cannot shove a thick insole into the caribou boots.  The toe box is not big enough.   Despite the thick liner, you also need to wear a robust sock system in deep cold, so there just is not room for an insole where the lower boot is not designed for it.  (The liner absorbs the moisture, and your thick sock system keeps your feet dry and warm).  The caribou also has that irritating liner extension above the top of the boot.  It’s just going to get wet.   A liner should be inside the boot, not outside it!

The Glacier is now the only rubber bottomed pack boot on the market that I am aware of, with a thick removable insole and lots of room in the fit for a thick sock system.   The Baffin boots all have a tiny flat toe box and narrow foot, which does not allow even a medium thick sock system.  I tried on the top of the line Baffins 2 sizes too big, and they are still too tight.  Baffin seems to want you to rely totally on their liner system, and that’s just not acceptable to me.   The liner gets soaked.  In fact the outer part of the liner will saturate and freeze to ice inside the boot on cold days.  An inner sock system of several layers to separate your feet from the frozen liner is always needed.

I wish Sorel would bring back the trapper model with its fine leather upper and synthetic snow cuff which kept them very dry.    They were also waterproof (to a point), which permitted full immersion into slush holes without a soaker.   

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 08:34:36 pm »
One thing I had a bit of trouble with is buying extra liners.  Marks here in Ontario said to try Canadian Tire and Canadian Tire didn't have much, if at all and said to try Marks.....Do you know Hoop if the Glacier's extra liners are available??

TonyCC? where would you find Vapour Barrier socks? or is just thin Poly socks the same?
IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi

Offline Canoedog

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • canoedog.ca
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 09:04:23 pm »
Poly socks not the same thing -
http://www.prolitegear.com/pl_id_vbsocks.html

On the other hand a couple of milk bags would do the job ;) Put 'em between your inner's and outer's
"There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going" - anon.

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 11:38:35 pm »
like we used to do when we were young....

Thank Chummy!

IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 10:15:58 pm »
One thing I had a bit of trouble with is buying extra liners.  Marks here in Ontario said to try Canadian Tire and Canadian Tire didn't have much, if at all and said to try Marks.....Do you know Hoop if the Glacier's extra liners are available??

The stores are brutal for stocking replacement liners.  And they are not really "replacement", since you should take two pairs of liners on long trips anyways - while you are drying one pair, you are wearing the dry pair.   In the old days, trekkers would take 2 to several pairs of moccasins and always be drying them.

The lesson I learned is to buy extra liners when you buy the boots.  If need be, special order them from the manufacturer.  Manufacturers often do not sell direct, but if you call them and say your retailer does not have stock or won't special order, the manufacturers will often deal with you direct.  Don't be shy about calling their customer service.   But I have found retailers to be reasonably good at making special orders - especially when you are already a good customer and they value your business and word of mouth recommendations to other customers.   
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 05:01:04 pm »
What do you guys think of the Sorel Maverick http://www.sorel.com/Product.aspx?top=1&cat=110&prod=55 for snowshoeing and general winter camping (as well as biking to work, shovelling the driveway, walking the dog, sledding with the kids, etc.)?

• 9mm removable liner (not the thickest, the glaciers are 13 mm)
  • no removable insulating midsole?
  • high leather upper which looks like it could be laced up fairly well to get rid of that sloppy big boot feeling
  • pretty waterproof
  • footbox not as large as some of the other boots
My thinking is that this might be a decent boot for active wear, with the advantages of snug lacing and removable liner, though not as warm for standing around as some other boots (Sorel Glacier). A local store has them for $140.

For more money (especially with the dropping loonie plus shipping), maybe Cabella's Saskatchewan boot or the Trans-Alaska III would work. They're not really comparable to the Sorel MNaverick's though. Maybe more like the Glacier.

cheers,
Bryan
http://pawistik.blogspot.com

There's no bad weather, just bad clothing.

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 07:21:04 pm »
Yikes, those cabelas have a rating of minus 135. :o
Colder is better

Offline Oldand Fat

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 08:24:57 pm »
I attended the Winter Camping Symposium in Ely, Minn this past weekend. Mark Carlson made a big case for Neos Navigator http://www.overshoe.com/recreational/products/detail.php?s=N5P
If I understood Carlson correctly He puts a couple of very good insoles and a Felt line in them.  They are not cheap but very well made. If I understood correctly the dog team mushers are wearing them. Very easy to get into. Flexable, warm, water proof.Great for snowshoes,  ETC,ETC.
I'll report the Symposium later.
Stay Safe
OAF
“ We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.” Stephen Hawking. 1942 - 2018

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain