View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Ely, Minnesota - A great place to shop for winter clothes  (Read 2280 times)

Offline sethwotten

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Water for Future Generations Expedition
Ely, Minnesota - A great place to shop for winter clothes
« on: December 24, 2011, 01:15:02 pm »
I went down to Ely, Minnesota this past weekend. We had to exchange some Steger Mukluks and figured that we would look around for other clothes. My lady friend is coming out trekking this winter and needed some outfitting.

Wintergreen sells really overpriced stuff (mostly breathable nylon), but they have a discount section at the back. We found a cotton anorak there for $75. There is another independent guy there supposedly (that wasn't answering his phone) that makes discount trekking clothes. The Ely Surplus store had all kind of wool stuff at a variety of prices. They sell stuff kind of like Mark's Work Wearhouse, but better quality and more wool, leather, and fur. Wool pants and shirts from anywhere from $9.99 to over $100. The cheaper ones are acrylic/wool blends, obviously. Rabbit fur (Real!) hats for $20. All kind of great mitts etc... I even bought a pair of US military Arctic Flight Mitts. They cost $125 to produce, but are available at Ely Surplus for $50. And this was just the tip of the iceberg. We were there on a Sunday, so the many other outdoor stores in town were closed.

Besides all of this, it seems like a really cool town overall. The outdoor culture is obviously thriving there. They also have a steam bath there, some nice coffee shops, some decent restaurants, etc...

I don't know if anyone has been as impressed with this little town, but I figured I would share my experience with others :-)

Offline dks

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Ely, Minnesota - A great place to shop for winter clothes
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 08:06:34 am »
Thanks for your information. I go out west from Ontario regularly so I may make a detour to Ely the next time I go. The last time I went through Minnesota I had briefly thought about visiting Steger, but, time didn't permit.  Outdoor stores are always nice to shop in.