View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winter Boots- what do you use  (Read 74851 times)

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Boots- what do you use
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 09:03:15 pm »
I have a Sorel Caribou's but I need to get something for the kids and my wife. Wife wears a ladies 12 and there is nothing made by Sorel, Kamik or Baffin in that size for a ladies. I personally hate seeing her wearing mens footwear. Any suggestions?

Also the kids aged 9 and 10 need new footwear. They wear roughly a size 8 which is mens sizes. So expensive. I fear I have no choice but to spend $100 each on kids boots. I fear buying cheapo boots for the kids and them getting frostbite on their little toes. Any suggestions for them?
Colder is better

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 10:02:20 pm »
Hi Pawistik,

I like lace up boots and mine are the no longer made Sorel Trapper, with full lace up leather upper and the thickest liner plus the big footbox for the extra midsole.  Its that midsole that totally makes the difference, as in the Glacier too.  The Maverick looks great, but you will get cold feet I think without the midsole.   I wish Sorel would bring back the Trapper, which is like that Maverick, except its got the bigger footbox plus the midsole.

I have not seen the Cebella's boots, so cannot comment,....except for the cold rating.  -135 is ridiculous.  If it got that cold, you and all life  would be dead!

OAF:  I can see the utility of the Neos overshoe on something like a Steger or Empire Canvas mukluk.  The problem with mukluks is their vulnerability to a soaker with slush, so the overboot might be a good option.   Also good for ice fishing with a mukluk, where the water can pour up and soak the area around the hole.  However the breathability advantage of the mukluk would be diminished, unless the moisture piled up on the outside of the mukluk  and inside of the overshoe.   Its OK if a mukluk gets wet on the outside.  The big question is does it fit over a mukluk?    On its own with a Sorel 13mm flelt and thick midsole, it might be the next big thing for us trekkers.   Too bad it has so much nylon on it, which may not fare well around a fire?  I have fire embers popping out on the rubber and leather of my boots all the time, but they don't do damage.  I would be concerened about the durability of the Neo's - ember holes are going to cause trouble on a trip. 

Rob:  the Sorel Caribou's also have the narrow toe box without the midsole, so they have limited warmth for trekking.   (Sorel is mostly now an urban boot fashion company, with the Glacier being the only serious winter camping boot for the north).   I have no suggestions for the kiddies, except to oversize the boots, and have them use big honking wool work socks over their normal sock layers, like the superb Wigwam Ice Sock, which is available at Marks Work Wearhouse, and also Eglis' last time I checked.  Always over-size a winter boot and stuff with big loose fitting wool socks, and a thin midsole if you can squeeze it it, but be careful about compressing toes in the toe box - toes must be free to  wiggle.    For emergency warming of kids feet, you can warm their bare feet on your bare belly covered with your coat and fleece.   This winter I will also be experimenting with the Zippo hand warmer burner as an emergency warmer.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 10:08:46 pm by HOOP »
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline White Wolf

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 10:23:40 am »
"Sorel is mostly now an urban boot fashion company"

This was a sad/wrong turn for this company in my mind as so many that worked or lived in cold climates depended on their boots. But I guess the "urban boot industry is far larger then the rest of us.

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • SoloTripping.com - The Solo Tripper's Online Community
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 11:33:18 am »
"Sorel is mostly now an urban boot fashion company"

This was a sad/wrong turn for this company in my mind as so many that worked or lived in cold climates depended on their boots. But I guess the "urban boot industry is far larger then the rest of us.

A product of selling out to Columbia.......A sickening trend in the industry.  Fashion vs.Practical.

Harlan

Offline dks

• Supporter
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 03:19:01 pm »
I bought the Sorel Glacier boots last year and used them for a snowshoe trip and several ice fishing outings.  If you buy a pair, be warned they are heavy! Since I'm not a long distance walking kind of guy the weight is not an issue for me. I bought them solely on the advertised warmth factor. I can't say they are noticeably warmer than my previous boots (Kamiks), but, I have no regrets about buying them.

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 03:26:38 pm »
I bought the Sorel Glacier boots last year and used them for a snowshoe trip and several ice fishing outings.  If you buy a pair, be warned they are heavy! ...
Yeah, that's the trade-off. Are they heavier than other options that offer similar warmth?
http://pawistik.blogspot.com

There's no bad weather, just bad clothing.

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 04:09:26 pm »
How well does the Baffin brand of boots stand up to scrutiny? http://www.baffin.com
http://pawistik.blogspot.com

There's no bad weather, just bad clothing.

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Retired Park Ranger/Wilderness Medical Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Backcountry Trail Patrol
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 11:39:04 am »
I have two pair of Empire True North boots (both prototypes, so they are somewhat different than the current version), a pair of Steger Arctics and a pair of Sorel "Adventure Trails". For utilitarian purposes, (trail grooming, snowremoval, etc.) I use the Sorels. For "dress-up" I wear the Stegers, and the Empires are for whenever I feel like it. My wife got the Stegers for me about 10 years ago, and they have seen a lot of use, and are now relegated to a separate catagory of R&R.

I use Berwin Backcountry Bindings on my primary skis, and the Sorels are a bit tall across the arch for the binding straps. I like the Empires because they fit both snowshoe and ski bindings best, and have a tougher sole than the Stegers which is good when dog sledding.

Okay...bring on the snow! My friends on the Adirondack Trails Forum are reveling in as much as a foot of white stuff on the Tug Hill Plateau. I never should have moved out here to MinneSNOWta.  ;D

Be safe,
Hans
"My country isn't a country, it is winter" - Gilles Vigneault

Offline Ted

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 01:31:50 pm »
Hi Hans,
Welcome and I have the feeling that your going to be great source of practical info for this forum.

I'm getting really frustrated in finding 'perfect' footwear for my style of tripping. All I really want is a mid-calf pair of nice water/slush and spark proof boots that weight less than 3 pounds, let me stand around at -25C, no heel slip, removable liners and insoles, and fit well in both ski and snowshoe.  Now is that asking too much?? ;)

There seems to be a lot of boots out there that are made for dry snow or large wind-blown lakes but not much for small slush-covered lakes and those sneaky little creeks hiding under soft snow.

I'm almost at the point of sticking my Sorel insoles and liners inside a pair of gum-boots, or whatever you want to call them. At least I'd be dry and everything would come out for hanging at night.

I was looking at those Empire boots and they look great. Are they waterproof and do all the insoles and liners come out for drying?

cheers Ted
http://www.parkerclan.ca
To the Silent Places

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 03:25:50 pm »
I just finsihed reading the Conovers chapter on footwear and they make a pretty good arguement for moose hide mucklucks or moccasins. The downsides are they don't get wet well and the soft bottoms are cause of much foot pain after a day of snowhoeing. I figure I could get over the wet part by using some of those over boots by Neos but what about the soft bottoms, anybody use moccasins with a hrd bottom?
Colder is better

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 05:17:17 pm »
Like these
Colder is better

Offline Trailpatrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Retired Park Ranger/Wilderness Medical Instructor
    • View Profile
    • Backcountry Trail Patrol
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 09:30:22 pm »
I was looking at those Empire boots and they look great. Are they waterproof and do all the insoles and liners come out for drying?
cheers Ted

Yes, they are removable and he (Kevin, the owner) has several different kinds of liners available in addition to the polypro felt, by special order. He can also make them up to size 15 DDD. I've also found that I can wear them to the gas station due to the sole, which you are not supposed to do with the Stegers. Special needs? Kevin will work with you even for just one pair (or parka, shirt, whatever.) Great service, great customer support, and always has the coffee on if you stop by the shop!

Be warm,
Hans
"My country isn't a country, it is winter" - Gilles Vigneault

Offline White Wolf

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 09:34:38 am »
Rob

I had a pair of these (very similar) an number of years ago. They worked great but one thing is the liner is not removeable. at least in the ones I had and looking at the Egli's site I do not think theirs is removable either.

The gum rubber sole worked great for me. But realise that they are not a "hard" sole like a boot. They still flex a lot but do give support to your foot

Offline White Wolf

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008, 09:08:32 am »
Ok I was watching the idiot box last night and a commercial came on for winter boots.  KAMIK boots. So this morning I headed to their web site at www.kamik.com  and they (boots) look pretty good for what we need for winter camping.(Removable liners) They almost look like Sorels.
I did a dealer seach and it ends up Canadian Tire sells them. will have to head their and have a look at them. Will be interesting to see if there is replacement liners available and if the foot support is there.

Offline ffdjm

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 02:14:52 pm »
I wear stegers during the winter months. Everything is frozen here in Fairbanks for five months in winter.  I have worn the same pair for maybe five winters. The canvas uppers are wearing out faster than the soles.

A friend likes Arctic Sport Snow Boots from Muck.

Douglas