View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winter Boots- what do you use  (Read 74794 times)

Offline Andy

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • Bushcraft Blog
Re: Winter Boots- what do you use
« Reply #150 on: December 29, 2010, 09:34:32 am »
BST, good idea on the campfire rock boot warmers!
When the first Europeans landed in the Americas, they described it as one vast untouched wilderness. This was about the highest compliment they could pay to the Native people who had lived there for thousands of years. -Bill Mason

Offline Chris the Cat

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 29, 2010, 10:51:02 am »
Sorry to jump in folks, happy Xmas from the UK by the way !
I was north of Bardufos in Norway in Feb and finding Pac boots or  Mukluks in the UK is a nightmare! No one makes them or imports them here! ( Any ideas ? )
I was able to pick up a pair of La Crosse pac boots from a member Of Bushcraft Uk ( pop over and say hi some time! )
Now I am not at all familiar with pac boots, these, however, have steel toe caps!
I guess these are what construction or pipe line workers wear in sub -zero conditions but I was wondering if the steel toes cause problems re- cold conduction? They do seem well insulated ( The steel toe from the 'toes' of my feet, if you know what I mean!? ) with plenty of 'wiggle room' in the toe box as a result.
Are La Crosse an OK make of boot?
By the way, they have a 9mm felt boot liner ( leather upper on rubber wrap around foot and sole, steel shank and agressive tread pattern. No idea of the model name ! )
There is no way of buying felt liners on this side of the pond, if any of you folks can point me to someone who will ship to the UK, that would be great!
Take care, thank you and Happy New Year!
My best.
Chris. :)

Offline snowflake ?

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2010, 11:06:08 am »
 If anyone's interested Cabela's has the men's Sorel Glaciers on sale for 104.99, plus if you spend 150.00 you can get 20.00 off. So I picked up boots, Xtra liners and liner socks all for about 150.00 including shipping   Looks like rain   ISH

Offline Andy

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • Bushcraft Blog
« Reply #153 on: December 29, 2010, 02:04:04 pm »
There is no way of buying felt liners on this side of the pond, if any of you folks can point me to someone who will ship to the UK, that would be great!

Hi Chris,

Have you checked with Steger Mukluks?

http://shop.mukluks.com/departments/19/Accessories/Liners---Insoles---Socks.aspx

Andy
When the first Europeans landed in the Americas, they described it as one vast untouched wilderness. This was about the highest compliment they could pay to the Native people who had lived there for thousands of years. -Bill Mason

Offline crustysnow

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 29, 2010, 04:01:08 pm »
Greetings,

FWIW, my $0.02.

I've worn PAC - type boots (Sorel/Kaufman/LaCrosse/others) for over 3 decades, rubber bottoms are great if it is wet, or 20+ F and sunny as the sun will melt the snow on your footgear.  They are heavy and warm, but will cool down, even be cold, if inner moisture is not managed.  Since my feet perspire greatly, I always have moisture issues.

I've made a pair of mukluks - I feel they are great for snowshoeing/hunting/walking because of the light weight - if you haven't tried mukluks you really should, the lightness of that footgear is really something to experience.  However - MY mistake with the pair of mukluks I made was that I used Oil-tanned leather for the lowers - this does not breath, I would bet that it actually makes things colder.  Thus, I purchased a pair of Steger mukluks and the difference in warmth is really great.  I have friends that say their liners in their mukluks are not damp after a day of deer hunting, and they leave their liners in their mukluks every night all camp, but I have found mine to be somewhat damp after a long day - but nowhere near as damp as the mukluks with oil-tanned lowers that I made.

I also have a pair of the Cabela's Trans Alaskan III's and have used them deer hunting and ice fishing and can only recommend that they be used if you're not going to be moving much, i.e., ice fishing, snowmobile, sitting around camp.  The footbed/sole is very stiff - I would liken it to walking with a board strapped on your foot, and even though they are 'rated to -135 F', I have to believe that that rating must include the the Hot Packet that you can put in the pocket in the bottom of your liner.

I have not gone on any winter treks of great length, but I have worn the mukluks with snowshoes while beaver trapping and putting in a few miles on those days, but can only  imagine what it must be like to where a pack boot snowshoeing any distance.

As has been stated before, one boot type might just not be enough - a time and place for the different types.

So, now that I have my Steger mukluks, I'm a bit concerned about my snowshoe binding and the leather of the mukluk - I use 1/4" cord in the Step in-Step out "Indian" fashion and am windering if that narrow of a cord might be too narrow for those mukluks and wear through.  Do I need a wider binding to spread out that energy and wear?  Anyone have any experience with that?

I have no experience with vapor barrier socks, other than bread bags about 35 years ago.

This has been another great thread.

Crusty

Offline Chris the Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2010, 05:28:59 am »
Hi Andy, thanks for that sir !
I will drop them an email, I can't find any shipping details on their site and so I will ask if they will ship a couple of pairs!
Take care.
Chris.

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2010, 06:19:44 am »
C T Cat, Call Kevin at Empire Canvas Works. He may be able to help you out.
http://www.empirecanvasworks.com/truenorthboots.htm

LL
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas

Offline Mateo

• View Profile
    • Consanguinity and Affinity (my blog)
« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2011, 10:43:56 am »
Herr Klaus put some German engineering under the tree this Christmas. Looking forward to giving them a go in the white stuff if and when it appears. :–p

Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory. – Ed Viesturs

Offline Gennaver

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 03, 2012, 02:33:28 pm »
Hi,
I see I am replying to a Sep 19th post but, if it makes any difference I have only been here in the Interior of Alaska for 6 days. However, since I like to be outdoors as much as possible my NEW best foot friends are (modifying becasse the link won't work,) Lobben/RMC International Lobben Women's Gray Polar Boot and my new indoor best foot friends are (modifying since the link didn't work,) Aspen Company Inc Aspen Company Igloo Sneaker with Sole
I sure like happy feet! Oh, and some thick wool socks too.

However it is very dry where I am at and I am not snowshoeing or sledding with these, at least not yet! Will update once I do.

Gen/Jen
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:50:53 pm by Gennaver »