View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Winter Boots- what do you use  (Read 74766 times)

Offline FRANZENRP

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Boots- what do you use
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2008, 10:14:56 pm »
I'm also in the need for a new winter pack shoe !

I've been using the White Mickey Mouse boots for years, and there starting to cause some foot aches.

I'm thinking of getting Steger Mukluks, Empire Canvas, or Sorels "Glaciers ".

I  need some feed back, for weeklong trips were I'll snowshoe.

I'm leaning to the Sorels, and the main reason is I know that alot of the time I wont have the snow shoes on and want to have some good traction for hiking when snowshoes are not needed. It seems to me that the Stegers and Empire Canvas may be better at snowshoeing, but not as good without snowshoes in general.

Many of my trips I dint use the snowshoes as much as you would think and that is why the traction of the Mickey Mouse Boots was desired.

The MM boots I believe get some bad raps, I've been out for seven night trips at minus 40 degrees and they been plenty warm. I would always lay them inside my sleeping bags at night to limit any perspiration freezing. 

The big reason I plan on switching is there Little to stiff for me to do to much traveling in. There fine if I'm standing around but a little to heavy for me anymore the age thing.

I read Hoops info on the Glaciers and that sure interests me.

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 10:47:53 pm »
if you were to get Stegers, which model would you get?

Colder is better

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 07:32:15 am »
Hi Rob and Franzenrp,

I own a pair of the Steger Arctics.   I find they fit small.  I am a normal size 9 shoe size.  I bought the Arctic size 10 double wides, and find they are a little tight in the toes when I want to fit my optimum super cold sock system (1 medium and 2 thick socks) in for the really really cold days (like -30 and colder). 

They do have an optional double felt midsole, which is what you need on the bottom of your foot (most heat is lost through the bottom IMO), but that uses up toe space.  So I may upsize to 11 double wides one day if I have the money.  However my current 10's are just fine with a 2-sock system for snowshoeing as long as I am moving, and for just hanging around in "warmer" temps like minus 20-ish.  Most boots keep you warm while moving.

The Empires look really neat.  I would like to try them.   The website does not mention the midsole underneath.  I hope they designed them for that.  I like their idea of their dot tread rubber sole, that can also be re-soled.   

If I am traveling on lakes, I prefer the rubber bottomed Sorels, because encountering a slush pocket is likely in January-February.   When ice fishing in the early season, or in trips to the water hole, the water sometimes flows up and around the hole and you are standing in liquid water and slush.  For water in early season on ice, you can simply punch your boot into the snow and the slush water wells up, and your boots can get wet.   

If you are not traveling on ice, I think Mukluks are great - they are so light and flexible.   On camping trips, I sometimes carry the mukluks as my camp "slippers" for evenings and mornings, while my Sorels are drying out, and I travel during the day on the ice in my Sorels.

Buy all three!
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2008, 08:15:42 am »
Why Sorels on ice and Mukluks in the woods?
Colder is better

Offline Scott

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2008, 09:01:56 am »
I used my Steger Arctics last year for the first time and wore them snowshoeing and for walking when possible without snowshoes.  This was on flat ice and crusted snow - in both cases I thought the sole worked really well.  I like how light they are and this is perhaps understated when people talk about them - we're all used to big Sorels.  Because the sole is so flexible once you walk a few steps you really feel difference - it actually feels like your feet overheat like you feel with upper layers at times.  It's truly awesome.  What I did find though was that my feet were getting a bit cold at the end of the day at camp, finishing chores and cutting wood, essentially in periods of less mobility.  This could have been based on not enough insulation in them or sweat from being too hot in the day.               

As for sizing, I'm a size 11 shoe but after talking with Steger and explaining what I was doing I went with a size 11 wide.  Reason being is that they suggest going for the double wides when your using them in sustained temps below minus -28C (-20F) to add more insulation (socks).  But they stretch LOTS after you wear them fora a while.  I cut the second felt insole a bit shorter on purpose and after they stretched out I inserted this into the wool liner to keep the toe length I already had.  My logic was that our "normal" conditions around here now are never usually minus 30C for days on end, in the evenings yes, but not as much anymore in the day for long periods.  I wanted to be sure that when I wore them 75% of the time in weather above or close to -20F that they were not going to be a sloppy fit....guess I'll see how that goes as I use them more.   Steger put up the actual measurements of the mukluks on their website now and the difference is really not that much between sizes - the length does not change, only the width in 1/4 inch increments.           

Offline FRANZENRP

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2008, 03:59:29 pm »
Rob

I would get there Artics

I have to agree a little with what Hoop says most all my trips are on frozen lakes in the BWCA and the slush could be a issue. I should mention that for camp shoes I have a rubber high top rain shoe with a wool liner and there plenty warm. If you use a heated tent things should be nice and warm. The Empires look good  I hope to take a look at them next week at a outdoor expo in Minneapolis.

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008, 11:56:20 am »
Why Sorels on ice and Mukluks in the woods?

Hi Rob,
Its because of slush!     :)   Maybe this photo will show you: 

These are boot holes punched into about 3-4 inches of slush water on the ice.  It is early ice, Dec 31, about 4-6 inches thick.  If you step out of your snowshoes - poosh! you punch right into it.   In a really wet pocket your entire snowshoes will punch through it and you are bogged down in deep water on the ice which seeps around your boots.  This particular patch was already there, but expanded from the water hole I cut in front of my campsite, causing a slowly gushing well.  The ice is relatively thin, the snow is heavy and thick, insulting the thin ice so it is not forming thicker, and the ice is forced down and the water flows up all over whenever the is an expansion crack or trekker cutting a hole.  Sometimes entire lakes are covered in slush water for a month or more - sometimes all winter.  The scourge of the winter trekker - hence you want the biggest float snowshoes in the early season on the ice when trekking.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 03:13:42 pm by HOOP »
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2008, 12:42:33 pm »
Of course it all makes sense now!
Colder is better

Offline ontariobackpacker

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2008, 06:07:39 pm »
what about boots from Muck?  Are they worth the price?
SBouchard

Offline Kevin

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2008, 07:00:11 pm »
This year I'm in the market for new boots, but I think I need 2 pairs (one for snowshoeing and one for walking around camp).  I haven't decided on which snowshoe boots to get yet, but I think I'm gonna try these:

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=96

According to the company the liners never get wet, and you can actually wear them around the tent/camp as booties.

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2008, 07:14:35 pm »
Just for Camp walking about, you might want to try out these Booties

Not sure if they are sold at all outdoor stores , but I'm thinking the trend is they will if they aren't now.

That's just for walking about, no hard working in them just getting to the outhouse or thunderbox, water and those chores that are not heavy footwork related.

They are Excellent!!

PS. Don't let the missuss see em' !  ;). you will never get them back....
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 07:21:03 pm by Georgi »
IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi

Offline Scott

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2008, 11:42:34 pm »
Hey Georgi - I second the down booties  ;)  They are totally the business on a winter trip!

When all the chores are done and we hop in the hot tent for the evening, the first thing we do is shed some layers and change footwear.  We hang up the Mukluks (or the Sorel liners) on the clothesline, and the down booties are used not only in the tent, but for bathroom trips, grabbing another armload of wood, whatever we step outside for really.  Its great after a long day to go barefoot in them...a little free range feet!         

Offline Pawistik

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
    • Bryan's Blog
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2008, 12:38:13 am »
This year I'm in the market for new boots, but I think I need 2 pairs (one for snowshoeing and one for walking around camp). 

I think I`ve come to a similar conclusion. A local shop has the Columbia Bugabootres on sale right now, so I think I`ll get those now as my "active" footwear for cycling to work, snowshoeing, etc. I currently have a cheaper pair of boots of the big and warm variety (which are not as warm as they should be because a few years ago I cheaped out and bought economy boots at Wal-Mart), but will eventually (next year, maybe the year after) replace those with better Sorel-type pack boots, like the glacier or bear.

I had been thinking which boot to get that's going to do it all for me, but realise I need 3 pair: the pair for cycling and active use with a moderate amount of insulation and alowing a bit of agility, the big bulky (heavy) piar of really warm boots, and the pair of camp booties. My priority for purchasing them will be in about that order too, though I have a half-finished DIY pair of camp booties to resurrect from the project bin.

Cheers,
Bryan
http://pawistik.blogspot.com

There's no bad weather, just bad clothing.

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2008, 09:02:46 pm »
I just ordered my Steger's. Sure hope they are worth it cause the shipping added another $100 to them
Colder is better

Offline Scott

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2008, 09:36:38 am »
I just ordered my Steger's. Sure hope they are worth it cause the shipping added another $100 to them

:o I got mine shipped to friend's address in the States... :) 

You'll like them for sure Rob.  Not sure what size you ordered but keep in mind they will stretch lots.  Wear them in the house and gradually switch to bigger/thicker socks.  At some point down the road you'll stretch them enough to trim the second insole they send to fit inside the liner. 

What did you buy the Arctics?  And the all important question - did you splurge the extra ten bucks for the rick rack trim? 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 09:39:55 am by scott_killarney »