View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Selecting a site  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Rob

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
Selecting a site
« on: September 28, 2008, 05:32:54 pm »
How do you select a site?

Besides the obvious things like level site and close to water what are some of the other qualities you look for in a site. I know we aren't supposed to select a summer site but isn't everything else to filled in to be practical?

Is there anything I can be doing at this time of year to prepare a site?
Colder is better

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
Re: Selecting a site
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 08:16:19 pm »
  • nice to wake up with some sun at your tent
  • poles can be cut and set into the trees
  • your pad could be cleared of debris
  • if you need to trail mark to camp from the input point you can do that too
  • gps mark your coordinates if you have that or topo mapping mark out where you see yourself going.
  • Passing over moving water like a creek you could make a bridge to freeze up where you will be crossing.
  • Make a mental note of where firewood ( standing ) is and how you plan to get that back to camp, although, I don't think I'd cut it down knowing that the weather is going to soak  into it and make for unpleasant fire making.
  • I can say we have brought in our chairs and bagged them and tied them to a nearby tree, knowing no one would be on the trail we've chosen not being a normal spot to hike in to...

Scouting a camp is great thing!

Even a past camp can be cleaned up and reset for another winter stay in the future.

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 08:40:43 pm by Georgi »
IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi

Offline White Wolf

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 11:19:18 am »
One other thing I look for is a site out of the wind. At least for a winter camp site. Summer well a breeze threw the camp makes it nice to keep the bugs away.

Offline lost_patrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 07:58:10 pm »
Georgi nailed it.  You need a route (preferably one suited to winter travel, which probably means something other than summer portages), you need a sheltered site, you need water, you need firewood.  If you have time and inclination, go in ahead of time, cut your tent poles and stack them against a convenient tree. 

Take a look at low spots on the trail that might collect water, and think about putting in a bit of corduroy so if we get another winter like last one, with a lot of snow over wet ground in the early part of the season, you'll have a good trail to haul your toboggan over.

Pray for a hard freeze before we get too much snow, and lots of snow after that.

The bug-free season is almost here.   :)
"Give me winter, give me dogs.  You can keep the rest."  - Knud Rasmussen
"Ride like you stole something." - Lance Armstrong