View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: 30%snowshoe, 70% ski  (Read 2707 times)

Offline lare

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
30%snowshoe, 70% ski
« on: November 13, 2010, 04:03:30 pm »
Well Steambender, here is your "new Siberian ski."  Leave it to the "Yoopers:"  Go to www.marquette-backcountry.com,  and you will read about a new ski, made in Michigan's UP, for that kind of terrain.  It costs $179 and is about 140 cm long (about the same as your normal ski pole), and 140mm wide - 130 at the waist.  It is a no-wax ski made to take any kind of binding, including the Berwyn.  I also just looked at the new Bean Outdoor catalog and found they offer a set of Boreal Skis:  130cm long, 120mm x 90 x 115 wide.  This ski comes with a Berwyn binding mounted for $225. 

That UP ski looks pretty interesting:  get a set of those cable bindings from Coleman's Surplus for ten or fifteen bucks and put them on those skis - you're good to go.    Lare

Offline Gapahuk

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Re: 30%snowshoe, 70% ski
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 05:08:17 pm »
That looks like great fun.
( Congratulations on that neat website from marquette !)

I woold prefer the steel edges on the Boreal's. Those Marquette edges won't last long I,m afraid. And how long will the large scales last when snowconditions are far from ideal ?

Offline steambender

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • woodspirit
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 12:14:09 am »
interesting....but they are made from something other than wood....so not my thing personally.

Offline KM

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 04:28:17 pm »
These skis look really interesting, especially when combined with telemark boots.

I didn't see the specs on the website so I inquired:

Length = 140cm
Width = 150 Tip- 130 Foot - 140 Tail
weight = ~9.5 pounds per pair

rise in tip 4" rise over 10" run

camber? none

Given their features and intended use these seem most similar to telemark skis. I did a little checking and modern superplastic telemark skis weigh about 6 lbs per pair.

I'd be very interested to try a pair but not buy if they turn out to be an overweight novelty item.

Keep your eyes out for reviews.

Offline canoecountry

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 04:37:21 pm »
This would be an interesting item for Mike at The Canoeist in Two Harbors to add to the rental fleet. Hint hint...Mike I hope you are reading this.

CC

Offline lonelake

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
  • MINNESOTA, Winter Camping Symposium
    • View Profile
    • www.wintercampingsymposium.com
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 06:45:53 am »
Really neat idea. Would love to see something made from wood.

LL
Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. It is what we leave behind that is important. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.
-Sigurd Olson

www.wintercampingsymposium.com
Proudly wearing Empire Wool and Canvas