View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Waxing skis on a trip  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Inabell

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
Waxing skis on a trip
« on: November 19, 2010, 09:01:57 pm »
What waxes, tools etc. do you carry with you on a trip?

Offline Ted

• Supporter
  • Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
Re: Waxing skis on a trip
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:47:54 am »
Although I'm a big fan of waxable X-country skis, I don't wax my back-country hauling skis.
I only use skins on those. My skins stick to the skis between the fixing points. It doesn't take long for the wax to gum up and ruin the "glue"  

My tripping areas are all fairly hilly so skins are needed half a dozen times a day.
I've never found a wax that will grip enough to get me up a hill when pulling a 70 pound load. But skins will.

As far as tools go I carry a plastic repair tip in case I break the tip off a ski. My standard repair kit has duct tape, a couple of cable ties, some snare wire, a few extra screws, a few nuts and bolts, and my trusty Leatherman as it has phillips screw driver, wire cutters and an awl. This kit is for my sled, my skis, my snowshoes and stove as well.

hth,
Ted

http://www.parkerclan.ca
To the Silent Places

Dennis

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 03:44:43 pm »
I use wood waxable skis. I bring a number of kick waxes,thermometer,florocarbon glide wax,a kick cork,glide cork,scraper,citrus solvent to remove kick wax, a refillable windproof butane lighter for applying kick wax, and a emergency ski tip. I haven't had to use the emergency ski tip yet....yet. And like Hoop and probably everyone else here, I always,always, bring a main repair/emergency kit.
I haven't used skins yet, but would like to try them sometime. I travel some hilly terrain and have found that if I take small steps going uphill I usually don't have any trouble. If it gets too steep I go to the herring bone. Pulling my loaded tobaggan over the years really has made me a better skier.

Offline misterpatrick

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 06:31:10 pm »
I use a pair of backcountry skis. I carry a basic range of waxes (though I race so my waxes are a little more specific), a synthetic cord and a scraper. That's really all you need. I've never had an issue waxing in the backcountry. Do you do a lot of cross country skiing? If not, going to a basic waxing clinic and getting some tips would be worthwhile. Figure out what system you like (Swix, Toko, Rex etc) and buy a few waxes. You can usually get a full range of waxes that you'd be using for under $30 - about three or four tins.

I ski a lot (XC, backcountry and tele), so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 11:11:41 pm »
Hi Inabell,

Great thread topic.  I added this to my running list of main content upgrades, including the back country repair kit.

You already have some good advice on the responses.   I concur with the posts.

I learned alot from Swix's printed material way back before the internet, and their modern website info is also great.  So I recommend that resource.

The hardest temp range to wax for is the warm temps, like -5C to +3C    You need several waxes for this range.  One degree can make a difference between slippage and caking.    The colder it gets, the easier the wax selection is.  For hauling sled, I am usually one warmer (softer and slower) that I would be unloaded where an optimum kick and glide is the objective.

For back country, you should carry tools to fix a pulled out binding, such as spare binding screws, a #3 posidrive screw driver (or square Robertson that fits, or as close as possible fit with a fat and squarish #3 Phillips - Phillips is all over the map with shapes, so look for the fat ones); 5 minute epoxy, knife, wire, mini nuts and bolts to fix sheared rivets on 3 pin bails, etc.    Obviously the type of binding influences the type of kit you bring.

The awl is a great tool for reaming out a new starter hole for a binding screw that you have plugged with a glued in splinter of wood.   
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.