View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: BWCA Ice Reports  (Read 4462 times)

Offline misterpatrick

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
BWCA Ice Reports
« on: December 20, 2010, 01:48:10 PM »
Hello all,

I thought I'd start a thread for people to post their BWCA observations. I'm not going to be up there for a couple weeks but always love to hear what the conditions are, especially for slush. I'm sure we've all been on a nice solid lake only to cross a portage and discover pure slush on the next lake in.

So, if you've been out, let us know how things are looking.

Offline snowshoe2

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Re: BWCA Ice Reports
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 06:27:43 PM »
Just returned from a three day camping trip off the echo trail and the river I was on was solid and the lakes I traveled across had 7-8 inches of good ice and no slush.   There was about 3 inches of snow on the lakes and made for good travel.

Trevor

Offline Coldfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 08:49:13 AM »
Snowshoe2,

If you don't mind sharing, what entrance point or river/ lakes were you recently at off the Echo Trail?

Thanks

Offline BoundaryWatersBlogLady

• Owner Voyageur Canoe Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Voyageur Canoe Outfitters
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 06:30:40 PM »
We're at the end of the Gunflint Trail and people are traveling on Saganaga Lake without reports of much slush.  A friend of ours just snowshoed into Rose Lake and didn't encounter any problems there or on Tuscarora.  There's lots of snow in the woods so be prepared for a workout!

I'm cross-country skiing into the yurt on the Banadad this weekend so I won't be able to let you know about any more lake conditions for awhile.  I do blog daily with updates on conditions on the Trail and beyond...  http://www.boundarywatersblog.com

Happy Trails,
Sue
Happy Trails from the end of the Gunflint Trail,

Sue
http://www.boundarywatersblog.com

Offline TuscaroraBorealis

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 06:44:27 PM »
Thanks for the update Sue.

Offline misterpatrick

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 01:32:23 AM »
Anyone been out on Sawbill and nearby recently? We're looking at a trip there next weekend and have heard reports of much slush on Snowbank but Sue's report suggest that some lakes are in fine form.

We'd really like to avoid slush. Also looking forward to the predicted -40F I heard about the other day. Should be fun. Thanks!

-Patrick

Offline snowshoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 07:43:22 PM »
Was out checking ice conditions on a couple prospect lakes in the BWCA and Lake Vermilion and the ice is a solid 5-6 inches.  No snow or slush on the lakes yet.  I don't see any large amounts of snow in the forcast so the ice should be great this year.

Offline crooked knife

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 11:51:46 AM »
I've been following the lakes through Modis Satellite imagery for NE Minnesota.  Big Trout North of Vermillion just froze 2 days ago and Saganaga was still half open yesterday.  Those big, deep lakes still have a little ways to go.  But with little snow and continued cold, they should be solid soon. 

Offline snowdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 08:09:18 PM »
The smaller lakes in the Ely, MN ...BWCA are frozen over with good ice.  Snowbank is partially frozen.  Shagawa has fishing shacks on it.  We walked out to Angleworm this past Saturday and it was frozen nicely, and nobody there.  Fall Lake is frozen and being fished.