View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Good guide to get started?  (Read 4241 times)

Offline santanoni

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
Good guide to get started?
« on: October 14, 2008, 05:03:08 pm »
Hi there,

I am new to the forums here, though not new to winter hiking altogether. I have always done a significant amount of hiking, but have taken to doing winter trips in the past several years. Most of my hiking in winter is done in the Adirondacks for those who are familiar.

Up to this point I have been limited to day trips in general because I am not familiar with how to go about camping in the winter despite having plenty of three season experience, and don't know anyone who is for that matter. I wanted to know if anyone has a favorite guide book or something along those lines that would be helpful in getting going so that I can start figuring it out without getting frostbite in the process.

Offline Harlan

• Administrator
  • Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
    • SoloTripping.com - The Solo Tripper's Online Community
Re: Good guide to get started?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 05:43:12 pm »
Welcome to the board!  We have exactly what you're looking for...but you'll have to wait a few weeks.  We're in the process of  finishing up the main winter camping site that'll accompany this one.  It'll explain everything you need to get started, what gear to look for, what to avoid, safety.....everything!

It should be up and running soon.

Harlan

Offline tonycc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 03:30:00 am »
Where are you located? and where do you plan on doing your winter camping?

Techniques, such as hot tenting vs cold tenting, will vary depending on the local land use regulations. 

Tony

Offline muller_jim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 01:21:13 pm »
Good places to start on the internet are Princeton's Outdoor Action Guide to Winter Camping - http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/winter/wintcamp.shtml and www.WinterCampers.com.
Check your local library for one or more of these books:
NOLS Winter Camping
The Winter Camping Handbook: Wilderness Travel & Adventure in the Cold-Weather Months by Stephen Gorman
Backpacker's Winter Hiking & Camping: Managing Cold for Comfort & Safety by Michael Lanza
Snow Walker's Companion: Winter Camping Skills for the North by Garrett Conover and Alexandra Conover
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:52:06 am by muller_jim »

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 10:15:57 pm »
Welcome to the board!  We have exactly what you're looking for...but you'll have to wait a few weeks.  We're in the process of  finishing up the main winter camping site that'll accompany this one.  It'll explain everything you need to get started, what gear to look for, what to avoid, safety.....everything!

It should be up and running soon.

Harlan

Need any Critics ??

:)

Get a hold of TonyCC and make a Southern DeepFreeze!! 

You've got one foot outdoor just need to jump and find out what works and what you like and what you would like to change for the next trip out there.....

I don't think you learn enough until your experience a few mistakes....and believe me , not too many will say they are experts, their still learning from their bruises, blunders and bodges.....WELL AT LEAST I AM!!!

Welcome to the Board.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 10:22:10 pm by Georgi »
IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi

Offline White Wolf

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 09:00:01 am »
santanoni

Welcome to the world of winter camping!!!

You'll find a lot of great posts here and very knowledgable people.

And as Georgi said you learn from your mistakes. Boy I have made some BIG mistakes in the past winter camps. Like going threw the ice with snowshoes and a heavy pack on but that is another story. (I have to say I learned from that mistake. )

One think is DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS. As this is how you will learn. Also if you can find someone close to you that winter camps try to set up a camp with them. They will give lots of advice and guidance.

Offline santanoni

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 09:47:09 pm »
Thanks for the information and links. I will  be looking at your site when it goes up.

As far as hot vs cold tenting that you mentioned tonycc, I am not familiar with those. I guess that will be another thing to add to my list to figure out.

As far as where and what tonycc, I am located in Upstate NY for part of the winter (dec-jan). I do most of my hiking and camping in the Adirondacks, which can be pretty brutal at some points in the winter, with temps not infrequently diving below -15-20F during mid winter. Although it can also be moderate with above freezing temps. Northeast winter in that sense, but colder and snowier.

Mistakes a good way to learn eh? well, Ive had my fair share in winter in particular, and if adding some more on helps to learn, then I'm there. Makes for good stories after the fact in any case. Sometimes.

Looks like there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here, I look forward to  getting some of those insights.

Offline Georgi

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Winter is not the time to go streaking!!!
    • View Profile
    • Georgi!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 07:29:09 am »
Cold Tenting - sleeping in your 3 season tent in winter.

Hot Tenting - Tent is designed to allow a wood stove to be inserted for warmth, heat, cooking and drying out wet gear. Typically, the hot tent has some sort of fireproofing around the stove placement area, for a look into a Deep Freeze you can visit Canoedog.ca and look at his photos on several inventive designs of hot tent or cold tent even a few Quinzee's ( mine's in there...) and Igloo's and Snow structures suitable for winter camping...start at 03' and you'll want to go camp in winter by the end of it ;)

If you have a few minutes here's a Youtube video created with pictures of the last DeepFreeze up here in Ontario, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZqX1raQ2mg
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 07:33:09 am by Georgi »
IN ICE WE TRUST ,In Snow we must, go camp in frozen Country. With axe and Saw for Timber is Law, to make our homes more comfy
;)

Georgi

Offline HOOP

• Administrator
  • Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 10:26:14 am »
Hi Santanoni,

Have a look at at our Trip Report section.  Several of the trips are rich in photos showing the various styles.  I think you will enjoy them.

My TR's are sometimes photo-heavy, so if you don't have high-speed, the photos may not load.  If you have high speed, give it about 30 seconds to a minute to fully load.

Enjoy.
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker

"I firmly believe that far from hurting the planet, the growing knowledge of Bushcraft is helping our natural world. When we employ bushcraft skills, it may seem as though we are consuming natural resources.  But of course, the more we learn about the trees, the plants, the animals around us, the more we respect them. The more we respect them, the more we cherish them, the more we nurture and take care of them. That is the underlying principle of Bushcraft.